What to do if you have Anal Fistula?-Symptoms, Causes, Diagnosis, Treatment and Home Remedies
Anal Fistula is one of the most irritating illness which disturbs the pleasure of the person as both sitting and travelling become difficult due to this disorder.
Anal Fistula is one of the most common anorectal diseases characterized by chronic granulating track which runs from the anal canal or rectum to the perianal skin which is associated with discomfort and morbidity.
It occurs most commonly in rectum. There is an infection which results in an abscess that drains spontaneously and forms a tunnel under the skin and connects with the infected gland.
Anal Fistula According to Ayurveda:
- In Ayurveda, it is known by the name Bhagandara. It is caused due to the laceration in the lesions of anus, pubic area or area of the bladder.
- If a person neglects a pus filled wound or abscess, then the pathology continues inside. Moreover, due to the intake of unwholesome food, the wound begins to invade deep into the skin, muscles, ligaments, bones, joints and as a result, a hollow-tubular tract is originated. This condition is known as Nadivrana in Ayurveda. If the pathology is restricted to the area of the anus and perineal region, then it is termed as Arshobhagandara.
What are the Types of Anal Fistula?
- There are five types of anal fistula according to Ayurveda that are caused due to Vata, Pitta and Kapha imbalance, dominance of all the three doshas and due to external injury. All types of Bhagandara are said to be incurable.
- The Bhagandara from which there is a discharge of urine or stools is said to be life threatening or incurable.
What are the Symptoms of Anal Fistula?
- Boils in the anal region
- Painful blisters
- Severe pain
- Due to the opening of blister, there is reddish yellow and frothy discharge
- Painful bowel movements or urination
- A foul smelling liquid oozing from a hole near the anus
What are the Causes of Anal Fistula?
- Due to the injury in the anal region due to sharp instrument, a sinus is formed. When this injury is neglected, it gets infested with micro-organisms. As a result, blisters are formed around the anal region and worms cause many openings in the lesion.
Diagnosis and Treatment:
- Anal fistula is diagnosed by taking a history and performing a physical exam. An acute anal fissure has an appearance of fresh tear.
- A chronic anal fissure occurs if it lasts for more than eight weeks. A chronic anal fissure has a deeper tear which has internal or external fleshy growths.
- All kinds of anal fistula are treated by clearing the tracts.
What to do if you have Anal Fistula?
There are some Home Remedies that are used to treat anal fistula naturally.These are:
- Aloe vera is very useful in wound healing. It is loaded with healing and pain-relieving properties.
How to use
- Cut the aloe vera leaf and take a gel out of it. Apply this gel on the affected area twice or thrice a day. One can have it internally as well.
- Olive oil lubricates the bowel system and it has anti-inflammatory properties as well. This oil is also effective in providing relief from the pain caused due to anal fissures.
How to use
- Mix equal quantities of olive oil, bee wax and honey in a bowl. Warm these ingredients until the bee wax melts completely. Allow the mixture to cool down and apply on the affected area.
- Coconut oil is loaded with essential minerals and anti-microbial properties which are very effective in the treatment of anal fistula. It also helps in lubrication and healing of the affected area.
How to use
- Apply coconut oil on the affected area twice a day.
- Triphala is considered as a natural way of detoxification. It is a wonderful formulation prepared from three ingredients in equal quantities. It must be taken regularly to remove constipation.
How to use:
- Consume 1 teaspoon of triphala powder with a glass of water once a day after meals.
What diet and lifestyle should be adopted if you have anal fistula?
- Diet plays a vital role in the treatment of anal fistula. This condition is triggered by constipation so diet which avoids constipation is recommended.
Fiber rich diet:
- For preventing constipation, high fiber diet is recommended. Fruits which are rich in fiber include: papaya, apples, oranges, etc. So, the intake of fresh fruits and vegetables is recommended. Other fiber rich foods include brown rice, cauliflower, tomatoes, onions, carrots, reddish etc.
How to Take
- Drink plenty of water as it helps in clearing the channels and flushing out toxins from the system. Take 8-10 glasses water every day to make the digestive system smoothly and prevents constipation.
No Heavy Food:
- The dietary habits are the cause of most of the health issues that we are facing today. So, heavy foods should be avoided as they slow down the digestive system and causes irregular bowel movement and therefore increases inflammation. Apart from heavy food, avoid spicy food as they cause more pain and irritation.
- Include salads such as cucumber, carrots in the diet because carrots have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties which are beneficial for the patients of anal fistula.
- Carrots are also a rich source of Vitamin C and K which are known to improve vein health as well.
- Consume fresh fruits such as apples, pears, papayas, watermelons etc.
- Consume fresh coconut water regularly because it reduces excess Pitta and provides relief in anal fistula.
- Put luke warm water in a tub and fill it half. Add a few drops of either nirgundi oil or neem oil. Sit for 5 mins to get relief from pain. Do this twice daily on a regular basis.
- Maintaining hygiene is very important. Clean the skin around the anal region with warm water. Clean the anal area by regularly soaking the anal area in warm water for 2-3 times a day.
These home remedies are effective in the treatment of anal fistula. People generally opt for surgeries to get rid of pain and discomfort, but these home remedies are very helpful as they provide relief from pain associated with anal fistula.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Natural Treatment of Hospital-acquired pneumonia (HAP) - August 19, 2019
- Amazing Health Benefits of Asafoetida (हींग के औषधीय फायदे) - August 16, 2019
- Use of Enbrel Injections Along with Ayurvedic Herbs for Psoriasis - August 14, 2019
- What You Need to Know About Sciatica? (साइटिका / गृध्रसी एक दर्दनाक बीमारी) - August 13, 2019
- Exceptionally Therapeutic Qualities of Giloy (गिलोय के अमृतमय गुण) - August 12, 2019