Chylous Ascites Causes Symptoms and Treatment in Ayurveda
To know about Chylous Ascites (CA) we need to know about ascites, so ascites is a condition in which fluid collects in spaces within your abdomen. Chylous Ascites is a rarest form of ascites in which there is leakage of lipid rich lymph into the peritoneal cavity. It usually occurs due to trauma that causes rupture of the lymphatics or by increased lymphatic peritoneal pressure, liver cirrhosis, neoplastic or congenital. In the Ayurvedic aspect, Chylous ascites can be correlated to Jalodara. “Jal” means water and “udara” means the abdomen, thus when accumulation of excessive fluid in the abdominal cavity causes distention it can be called “Jalodara”. Jalodara is among the 8 udara rogas and is considered to be the most complicated one.
Ascites can be described as accumulation of fluid in the peritoneal cavity or the abdominal cavity that ultimately leads to distention of the abdomen. Presence of a milky and creamy ascitic fluid with triglyceride content above 200 mg/dl can be considered as Chylous Ascites. In Ayurveda it is one among the eight udara rogas. Ayurveda considers intake of excessive Jala or fluid as the main cause of Jalodara as it destroys the digestive fire resulting in accumulation in the abdomen that causes distension of abdomen, bloating, weight gain, shortness of breath and many other.
Chylous ascites usually develop when disruption of the lymphatic system takes place, which may be due to traumatic injury or obstruction caused from abdominal malignancies or can be benign too. Infection and cirrhosis of the liver can also be a cause. Congenital syndrome such as Turner syndrome, portal hypertension or obstruction in the vessels can also be a reason. Systemic disease like hepatic cirrhosis can cause chylous ascites too.
Signs & Symptoms
Sign and symptoms of Chylous ascites include-
- Abdominal swelling resulting in bigger belly size due to fluid accumulation in it. This increases the abdominal pressure too.
- Generalised edema
- Nausea & vomiting
- Increase in weight
- Enlarged lymphatic vessels
- Night sweats
To diagnose for chylous ascites, following lab tests and imaging studies are required to be done
- CBC (Complete Blood Count)
- Peritoneal biopsy to detect malignancies
- Ascitic fluid examinations to check the triglyceride levels
- MRI – To detect malignancies
- CT Scan to detect the fluid
- Lymphoscintigraphy to detect any leakage
- Treatment of the underlying cause is an important and initial step in management of chylous ascites. In most cases, particularly, in patients with infectious, inflammatory, or hemodynamic causes, this will result in resolution of symptoms and of the ascites.
- Nutritional therapy is to be done that includes a high protein and low fat diet, it reduces the production and flow of chyle.
- Abdominal Paracentesis should be performed to relieve symptoms and could be repeated as needed,
- Lymph angiography can be done.
- Fluid removal with the help of surgical needles can also be done.
Ayurvedic Aspect of Chylous Ascitis – Jalodara
Chylous ascites in Ayurveda can be correlated to jalodara. Another name of Jalodara can be Udakodara. Jalodara is among the eight udara (abdomen) rogas (diseases). Acharya Charaka in च.चि.१३ considered jalodara as the most complicated type of udara roga. Jalodara means accumulation of fluid in the udara i.e the abdominal cavity. Ayurveda considers this condition as tridoshaja (vata+pitta+kapha) and predominance of https://www.planetayurveda.com/kapha-dosha/https://www.planetayurveda.com/kapha-dosha/ is seen.
In classics, intake of excessive fluid is considered to be the main cause of jalodara. Ayurveda says that excessive fluid intake destroys ones Agni i.e the digestive fire that eventually causes jalodara.
Nidana (Causes) of Jalodara
- Excess intake of water
- Excessive intake if lavana (salt)
- Poor digestion
- Intake of more packed & processed food
All these aggravate kapha and contribute to accumulation of fluid from its normal place to the abdomen.
Lakshana (Symptoms) of Jalodara
- Anorexia (Loss of desire for food)
- Discharge from anus
- Cough & debility
- Swelling in abdomen – On palpation the patient has fluctuation like that in a bag full of water.
- Weight gain
- Abdomen full of streaks and veins of various colours
Chikitsa (Treatment) of Jalodara
- Nidana Parivarjana (to avoid the causative factors) – this includes factors like less salt intake, reduced water intake, avoid alcohol and excessive starchy food, etc.
- One should administer kshara medicine such as Go mutra (cow’s urine).
- Langhana (fasting) should be done.
- Intake of medicated ghee with sendha lavana (rock salt) can be done.
- Intake of low fat and high protein diet.
Updrava (Complications) of Jalodara
In the initial stage it is devoid of complications and accumulation of fluid can be treated with ease. If neglected for a long time complications include
- Excessive enlargement of abdomen
- Increased thirst
- Retention of urine
- Cough & hiccups
- Feeling of darkness
Herbal Remedies for Chylous Ascites (Jalodara) by Planet Ayurveda
Planet ayurveda is a GMP – certified FDA-registered company. In Planet Ayurveda, the formulation of various remedies from the holistic system of ayurveda to provide relief from disease is manufactured. In Planet Ayurveda, formulations of herbal remedies are preservative-free. For Chylous Ascites or Jalodara, Planet ayurveda provides various supplements without causing any side effects.
List of products useful in treating Jalodara are
- Punarnava Capsules
- Shothari Mandoor
- Tribulus Power
- Indian Echinacea
- Yakrit Plihantak Churna
1. Punarnava Capsules
Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), which is the key ingredient in the formation of the Punarnava capsules, is a herb with numerous medicinal properties.It has a good diuretic effect and speeds up the process of filtration, thus it flushes out excessive fluid & toxins. Hence due to these properties Punarnava Capsules by Planet Ayurveda show effective results in jalodara or chylous ascites.
Dosage – 1-2 Capsules twice daily.
2. Shothari Mandoor
Shothari mandoor is an Ayurvedic preparation in the form of tablets prepared of iron oxide (called Mandur), Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), gomutra (Cow urine) and various other Ayurvedic drugs. Its main ingredient Mandura is helpful in edema and inflammatory conditions. It does so by balancing Vata and Pitta dosha.
Dosage – 1-2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Tribulus Power
Tribulus Power is a capsule prepared by Planet Ayurveda experts using best quality extracts of Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris). This herb balances all the three doshas and ultimately depletes the symptoms of Jalodara and restates health. This product by Planet Ayurveda also underwent quality and purity check so that best quality reaches people across the world.
Dosage – 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals.
4. Indian Echinacea
These capsules by Planet Ayurveda are made of Indian Echinacea or Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata) that has antioxidant & hepatoprotective properties. These capsules are made by the use of standardised natural herbs without any adulterants. It is useful in maintaining Pitta & Kapha doshas which helps maintain all the liver disorders.
Dosage – One capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
5. Yakrit Plihantak Churna
It is a powdered formation of bhumi amalaki (Phyllanthus niruri), bhringraj (Eclipta alba), kaasni (Cichorium intybus), Sharpunkha (Tephrosia purpurea), etc. This powder is a boon for liver and spleen functioning. It removes the toxins from the liver and also helps in repairing and managing the damaged liver cells.
Dosage – One teaspoon twice daily with plain water after meals.
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or Call at 0172-521-4040 (India), +91-172-521-4040 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604
In summary, Chylous Ascites / Jalodara are mainly caused due to malignancy and cirrhosis of liver. Both Ayurveda and Modern Science believe major diet change along with few supportive drug treatments can result in better conditions. Also Ayurveda believes in early treatment of Jalodara to avoid some irreversible pathological conditions. So here we can conclude that Ayurveda treats Jalodara in a safer way with just a few ayurvedic formulations and change in lifestyle.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Best Herbs That Kill Cancer Cells - December 12, 2023
- How to treat optic neuritis in ayurveda with herbal remedies - December 11, 2023
- Treatment of Sarcoidosis in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - November 20, 2023
- Vibhitaki/Baheda (Terminalia bellirica)- Benefits, Medicinal Uses, Dosage & More - November 18, 2023
- Chylous Ascites Causes Symptoms and Treatment in Ayurveda - October 4, 2023