Akik Pishti – Properties, Indications, Precautions and Usage
ABOUT AKIK PISHTI
Akik pishti is an herbal, mineral preparation in Ayurveda. As the name pishti suggests, it is mainly available in powder (bhasma) form and is used mostly in heart disorders.
AKIK – AN OVERVIEW
Akik – Agate (SiO2) is a semi precious stone. Chemically, it is a combination of silica and oxygen, but may contain manganese, iron, and aluminum in traces. It comes under a crypto crystalline variety of Quartz. The layers may be differently colored or clouded giving rise to several varieties known as banded or clouded Agates. Agates are white, pale to dark brown or bluish in color.
According to the Ayurveda point of view red colored akik is considered to be the best. In Rasashastra it is included in a siktha varga (silicon compounds).
PREPARATION OF AKIK PISHTI
- Akik churna – silicon dioxide
- Aloe Vera juice – juice of aloe barbadensis
- Ketaki juice – juice of Pandanus odoratissimus
- Banana stem juice – juice of musa acuminata’s stem
- Jalapippali – phyla nodiflora
Agate is finely powdered and then it is grinded well with above mentioned herbal juices. This mixture is heated to a great temperature (nearly 3000 degree Celsius) and then allowed to cool. This helps to enhance the quality of akik pishti and removes any impurities if present, making the pishti medicinally valuable and easy to use. The main feature of akik pishti is its good palatability.
PROPERTIES OF AKIK PISHTI
Akik pishti is mainly coolant in nature. Hence can be used to balance pitta in the body. It can act as an antacid.
- Excellent heart tonic. Hence it can be used as a cardio protective.
- Also act as a brain tonic
- Antidepressant and anti anxiety
- Anti hypertensive
- Promotes bone formation and bone maturation
- Beneficial in liver and spleen health
- Fastens the process of wound healing
- Acts against oxidative stress
- Reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and coronary heart diseases
INDICATIONS OF AKIK PISHTI
- General debility
- Paittika disorders
- Mental illness like depression, anxiety etc.
- Heart burn
- Brittle nails
- Dental cavities
- Poor skin tone (cures wrinkles in the skin)
- Aluminum toxicity
- Ulcers especially duodenal ulcers
- Ulcerative colitis
- Feeling of Excessive heat in the body
- Heart related disorders
- Coronary heart disease
- Hair loss
- Bleeding disorders, especially in uterine bleeding and epitasis
- Burning sensation in eyes
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Has a little effect on hypertension. Anti hypertensive
- Tachycardia with restlessness
ACTION ON TRIDOSHA
Akik pishti mainly possess sheeta veerya (cold potency) and madhura rasa (slightly sweet in taste). In account to its sheeta veerya it counteracts with aggravated pitta and helps to balance the pitta in the body.
- According to the physician’s direction, (120 – 150 mg daily)
- In case of Pitta disorder, it is given along with honey.
- In case of Vata imbalance, it is given along with Ashwagandha (withania somnifera)
- In cough and heart disorders, it is given along with fresh ginger juice.
IS AKIK PISHTI SAFE?
A detailed note on side effects of silicon dioxide is necessary as various rumors on Ayurveda mineral medicine is flourishing nowadays.
Silicon dioxide (SiO2), also known as silica, is a natural compound made of two of the earth’s most abundant materials: silicon (Si) and oxygen (O2).Silicon dioxide are most often recognized in the form of quartz. It’s found naturally in water, plants, animals, and the earth. The earth’s crust is 59 percent silica. It’s even found naturally in the tissues of the human body.
Silicon dioxide is found naturally in many plants, such as :-
- Leafy Green Vegetables
- Bell Peppers
- Brown Rice
Silicon dioxide is also added to many foods and supplements. As a food additive, it serves as an anticaking agent to avoid clumping. In supplements, it’s used to prevent the various powdered ingredients from sticking together.
While many of the studies on silica have been done on animals, researchers have found no link between the food additive silicon dioxide and increased risk of cancer, organ damage, or death. In addition, studies have found no evidence that silicon dioxide as an additive in food can affect reproductive health, birth weight, or body weight.
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have also recognized silicon dioxide as a safe food additive. The European Food Safety Authority does as well.
According to 1974 paper prepared in association with the World Health Organization, the only negative health effects related to silicon dioxide have been caused by silicon deficiency. Although more recent research is needed to bear this out, it seems a lack of silicon dioxide may do more harm than good.
Even though akik pishti is safe for ingestion, care should be taken not to inhale it. Inhalation of the same can lead to silicosis. So those who are working on mine or those who are more exposed to silicon dust should take akik pishti only under the strict supervision of a qualified Ayurveda physician.
Care should be taken not to overdose with medicine. Physician’s direction on dosage should be strictly followed. As the dose may vary according to deha prakruthi, roga and desa of the patient.
Before using Akik Pishti, inform your doctor about your current list of medications, over the counter products (e.g. vitamins, herbal supplements, etc.), allergies, pre-existing diseases, and current health conditions (e.g. pregnancy, upcoming surgery, etc.). Even though no proof for drug interactions with akik pishti is available, it is always better to be on the safe side. Children, pregnant ladies and breast feeding mothers can also take akik pishti but only after a consultation with Ayurveda doctor.
PATHYA AHARA DURING AKIK PISHTI USE
Care should be taken in your diet while having akik pishti. Certain foods act as antagonists and may interact with the medicine leading to decrease of efficiency of the medicine.
- Alcoholic beverages
- Tobacco (nicotine)
- Carbonated drinks
- Refined sugar and refined sugar substitutes
- Refined and processed foods
- Polyunsaturated foods like oyster, seed oils, nuts etc.
- Radiation exposure
- Synthetic estrogen
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- How to Increase Your Physical Stamina and Strength - October 15, 2018
- Chronic Mononucleosis/Infection with the Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) - October 13, 2018
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (ITP) - October 12, 2018
- AMH Levels and its Effect on Fertility of Females - October 8, 2018
- Treatment of Hereditary Motor Sensory Neuropathy in Ayurveda – Symptoms and Causes - October 4, 2018