Spirulina: A Super Green with Enormous Benefits
Spirulina is a blue green algae that belongs to a Cyanobacteria species. It is found in moist ground, fresh and saline water. It has intense taste and smell. It is believed to be a 3.5 million year old photosynthetic species ( Make their own food in the presence of sunlight). There are two subspecies of Spirulina, Spirulina maxima and Spirulina geitleri.It is loaded with multiple health benefits hence it has taken over the health and wellness industry. A person needs many nutrients to stay healthy. It is very difficult to get nutrients from single food or herb. You have to take multiple food items to meet daily nutritional needs. But Spirulina is one of those foods that is rich in various nutrients. Spirulina is high in proteins and vitamins thus it is labeled as “Superfood”.
Benefits of Spirulina
Spirulina is used worldwide as a food diet due to its high nutritional value and multiple health benefits.
- Spirulina is believed to possess amazing antioxidant and anti inflammatory properties. It helps in prevention of oxidative changes that are known to be harmful to body cells and DNA. Oxidation can lead to chronic inflammation and disease like cancer. Being an antioxidant, Spirulina is used for treating oxidative changes. Spirulina also improves body strength. It is ideal for people who want to recover from muscle fatigue and improves the overall strength and endurance of the body. Due to its anti-inflammatory action it reduces nasal congestion, itching and sneezing.
- The immune system plays a vital role when it comes to fighting against diseases and illness. Spirulina supports immune system health. It contains potent nutrients like polysaccharides which are highly beneficial for a powerful immune system and prevent various types of diseases. It has phycocyanin which is a phytonutrient. Phycocyanin is an excellent immunity booster. Spirulina exhibits properties that help to enhance the activity of the immune system.
- Spirulina is considered the richest source of protein. Amino acids are the building blocks of protein and they play a crucial role in formation of proteins. They play many other roles too like production of hormones, neurotransmitter and regulation of the immune system. Our body needs 20 types of amino acids for healthy functioning of the body. Some of them are not produced in the body and they should be supplied from our diet. Spirulina is one serving that has at least 50% of proteins and amino acids. Being a rich source of protein it maintains good healthy bones and reduces the risk of osteoporosis in menopausal women. It is the best source of protein for vegan people.
- Dietary fibres are very important to maintain digestive health. It has magnesium, calcium and zinc etc. Spirulina has enough dietary fiber and it minimizes constipation and aids digestion.
- Spirulina contains essential amino acid Leucine that helps in regulation of blood sugar level. It also helps in controlling blood pressure by regulating normal functioning of the heart.
- Spirulina has many vitamins such as Vitamin B complex (Specifically vitamin B2). It has a great role in maintaining healthy brain functioning. It also helps in regulation of thyroid hormones. Due to its anti-oxidative action it guards the brain against free radical damage. Spirulina is also beneficial for eye health.
- Spirulina maintains healthy cholesterol levels in your body. Increased levels of cholesterol can further lead to risk factors for heart disease like stroke. It helps in lowering LDL and increases HDL (Good cholesterol).
Role of Spirulina In viral diseases
Viral infections are a huge problem throughout the world and there are various research going on to combat the viral infections. Sprilunia extracts have antiviral activity and it may be considered safe for therapeutic purposes. Viral diseases are highly infectious and they spread from one infected person to another person.The symptoms of viral diseases vary in persons depending on the type of infection and severity of disease. Common symptoms of viral disease are flu like symptoms such as
- High fever
- Low energy levels (Tiredness)
There is no permanent treatment available for Viral infections till date but it can be prevented by natural ways by enhancing our immunity. Spirulina act in ways, enhancing immunity power and fighting against viral infection. Spirulina have been found to be potent inhibitors against various viruses. It blocks virus penetration, stimulates production of red blood cells and promotes antibody formation which ultimately leads to a strong immune system.
Planet Ayurveda provides you the best quality Spirulina capsules to boost your immune system and to fight against viral infections. These capsules have high nutritional value. These are 100% organic and they do not have any kind of chemicals or preservatives. The capsules shells used in formulation are 100% vegetarian and made of planet cellulose.
Dosage - 1 to 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ancient Ayurvedic Remedies for the Treatment of Melanoma - January 16, 2021
- Widowmaker Heart Attack & Its Management in Ayurveda? - January 16, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Retroperitoneal Fibrosis - January 15, 2021
- How to Raise Platelet Counts of a Child Below 5 years age - January 14, 2021
- Types of Seasons and Ayurvedic tips for Seasonal Allergies - January 14, 2021