Home Remedies for Hyperemesis Gravidarum
What is Hyperemesis Gravidarum ?
Hyperemesis gravidarum is characterized by a severe form of nausea and vomiting in pregnant women. The majority of pregnant women experience morning sickness. It affects quality of life. Pregnant women who are suffering from HG are often unable to do their daily household work, routine care of younger children and sometimes may skip social events.
Symptoms of Hyperemesis Gravidarum
HG usually starts in the first trimester of pregnancy. The most common symptoms include:
- Severe nausea and vomiting
- Weight loss
- Low blood pressure
- Rapid heart rate
- Urination is decreased
- Loss of appetite
- Excessive salivation
Cause of Hyperemesis Gravidarum
There are multiple factors that cause HG but the exact cause is still unclear. According to some theories the main causative factor is change in hormonal levels during pregnancy. Human chorionic gonadotropin hormone is highly elevated in HG. It is believed that HCG levels are highest at 8 to 12 week of pregnancy. HCG is released by placenta. Elevated levels of HCG further causes increase in estrogen levels, increased estrogen hamper gastrointestinal movement and delay gastric emptying leading to nausea and vomiting.
Differentiation Between Morning Sickness and Hyperemesis Gravidarum
These two are totally different from each other. Morning sickness is not associated with vomiting. Nausea usually disappears after 12 week of pregnancy whereas Hyperemesis gravidarum does not subsides. In case of morning sickness, dehydration is not seen. Hyperemesis gravidarum causes severe dehydration. In Hyperemesis gravidarum there is no food left inside the stomach after vomiting.
HG ( Hyperemesis gravidarum) can be managed easily at home by simple home remedies. By making some changes in diet and lifestyle, it can be prevented.
- Do not get up from bed immediately after sleep. Try to wake up slowly. Keep your legs in a hanging position for a few seconds and then walk slowly.Take 10 to 15 minutes’ walk before brushing your teeth.
- You can keep yourself busy with your daily routine. In this way your mind will be busy and there will be no space for negative thoughts.
- Try to eat small frequent meals. Avoid oily food as it can aggravate nausea. Choose meals that are rich in proteins and with less carbohydrates. Avoid junk food, aerated drinks and spicy food.
- Drinking plenty of water as staying hydrated is very important. Water helps to aid digestion and provide relief from acidity. Try to drink water before every meal.
- Lemon juice works wonderfully to manage morning sickness. Prepare lemonade by adding a pinch of cardamom and one tablespoon of honey. It is a very effective remedy to ease morning sickness. Do not drink plain lemon water as it doesn’t suit most people.
- Ginger juice : Ginger has an active compound name as 6- gingerol, that helps to soothe morning sickness. Mix half teaspoon of ginger juice with half teaspoon of lemon and honey. This mixture should be taken once or twice daily to ease symptoms caused by morning sickness. You can also take ginger in the form of tea. Ginger has the same properties as that of antiemetic drugs and it provides relief from morning sickness.
- Mint leaves help to get rid of nauseous feelings. Chew 3 to 4 fresh mint leaves. Mint leaves are refreshing and cooling in nature. They are super helpful to deal with morning sickness during pregnancy.
- Coconut water is rich in vitamins, minerals and fibers. It is loaded with multiple health benefits. Coconut water helps to get rid of nausea during pregnancy, if you don’t like the sweet taste you can add one teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Take a cup of milk and add a few drops of rose water and boil it. Drink this milk to eliminate nausea. You can also add one teaspoon ghee and drink it at bed time.
- Take two to three teaspoons of curry leaves juice and one teaspoon of lemon juice. Mix this mixture well and drink this twice daily. You may add sugar if needed.
- Make a decoction of mint leaves and ginger with 3 cups of water. Boil till it is reduced to half. Inhale fumes to get rid of morning sickness.
- Take cold milk with sugar or jaggery, it prevents acidity and nausea. It is also effective to maintain good digestion.
- Take two teaspoon of fennel seeds along with crystalized sugar. Keep this mixture handy as it is very helpful to relieve symptoms associated with hyperemesis gravidarum. The fragrance of fennel seeds will give you relief from nausea.
- Cardamom is best to get rid of hyperemesis gravidarum. You can suck cardamom to get rid of nausea and vomiting.
- Try to keep nuts, biscuits and sweet candy along the side of your bed. Every morning try to consume these without brushing your teeth. If you don’t like biscuits you can make salmonella toast.
- Black raisins are very beneficial to counteract the effects of hyperemesis gravidarum. You can saute black raisins with rock salt and keep them in a food box. You can consume 3 to 4 black raisins to control morning sickness.
- Avoid the strong smell of tempering while cooling, strong deos or perfumes and fragrance of incense sticks. As these can initiate the nausea and vomiting sensation in pregnant women.
- Add regular exercise and breathing exercise( Pranayam ) to your daily routine to avoid morning sickness. It will help to balance hormonal level in your body.
- Severe dehydration caused by HG can lead to atrophy of muscles. It can be easily managed at home by doing massages. A gentle massage improves blood circulation.
- Take proper rest as it will provide relief from constant vomiting. Along with that you can also consume one teaspoon baking soda in lukewarm water. It will provide you some relief from HG. But if the condition is still not controlled, you should consult an obstetrician. To avoid any harm to mother and fetus.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- How to Treat Pyorrhoea (Bleeding Gums) Naturally - March 24, 2023
- Neisseria Gonorrhoea Infection – Treat With Herbal Remedies - March 21, 2023
- Ayurvedic Treatment Of Interstitial Cystitis - August 26, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Cecal Volvulus - August 25, 2021
- Natural Remedies For PAD Disease In Ayurveda - August 19, 2021