How to Treat Hernia with Natural Remedies?
Hernia is a common condition that occurs due to localized bulge in the abdominal or groin area. Mostly it is harmless and painless, but sometimes it can cause discomfort and pain. There is no exact cause of hernia. The risk of hernia increases with age and male are more prone to hernia as compared to females. The symptoms of hernia vary depending upon the area involved. This condition can be managed effectively with use of certain herbs which helps to control hernia.
Hernia is an abnormality of the organ or any other tissue through the wall of the cavity in which it normally resides. Hernias is of different types such as inguinal hernia (most common), Femoral hernia, Hiatus hernia, Incisional hernia, Umbilical hernia, Epigastric hernia, Spigelian hernia, Amyand’s hernia, Hernia of brain, Littre’s hernia, Lumbar hernia, Mydi’s hernia, Obturator hernia, Sliding hernia, Sports hernia etc. Hernia may include pain and swelling especially during coughing, exercise or going to the bathroom. As per Ayurveda it is correlated with ‘Antra Vriddhi’ the local vayu usually aggravated by lifting great load, violent physical strain, fall from tree any kind of pressure double up the part of small intestine and press it down to inguinal region lying are strangulated in form of knot (Granthi) this is called as Antra vridhi.
Sign and Symptoms
Common signs and symptoms depend upon the type of hernia occurring.
- The most common hernia developed in the abdomen in this abdominal wall becomes weak and develops a hole through which adipose tissue or abdominal organs covered with peritoneum may protrude.
- In the case of Hiatal hernia, the content of the abdomen protrudes through the esophageal opening in the diaphragm. There is visible palpable lump occur when standing the bulge becomes more prominent or in some cases more vague symptoms resulting from pressure on organs which become struck in the hernia. There is organ dysfunction are also occur sometimes. Other symptoms are pain in the groin and heavy dragging sensation in case of men’s pain and swelling in the scrotum at testicular areas.
- In Irreducible hernia there may be severe pain and they cannot return to the cavity when pushed. They may become chronic and painless and strangulated. Obstructions are also there when it gets strangulated there will be pain with nausea, vomiting fever and bowel obstruction are also there. In case of irreducible hernias hernia bulge becomes red pink and dark purple.
There are the multiple causes of different types of hernias such as
- Mechanical causes: it includes improper heavy weight lifting, hard coughing bout, strong blow on abdomen and incorrect posture.
- Conditions that increased the pressure on the abdominal cavity are also an important cause of hernia such as obesity, straining during bowel movement, or urination, constipation, pregnancy and ascites.
- If the muscles are weak due to poor nutrition, smoking and overexertion hernia may occur.
- Trauma can also be the cause of abdominal wall hernia.
- Obstruction of any lumen
- Hydrocele of the hernia sac
- Autoimmune problems
- PHysical examination of the patient
- Endoscopy in case of hiatus hernia.
- Ultrasonography ( USG)
Surgery is the choice of treatment in case of emergencies, such obstruction of tissues of bowel or strangulation of the tissues etc. Umbilical hernia and hiatal hernias can be treated with the help of medication to certain extent. Planet Ayurveda offers an effective combination to treat hernia.
These remedies include use of ice pack, ginger root, massage, licorice, aloe vera, black pepper powder, and castor seed oils as well as lifestyle changes.
- Caster Seed Oil: It can coat the stomach thin lining to prevent inflammation and promote proper digestion. You can prepare a caster seed oil pack and put that on your stomach.
- Aloe Vera Juice: It is a natural anti inflammatory and soothing agent recommended for the people who are struggling with the pain of hernia. Aloe Vera can be consumed every morning in juice form. For the best result it can be eaten prior to every meal to lower the chance of getting hernia.
- Ice Pack: If there is inflammation, redness and pain in abdomen and groin so ice pack is the most useful remedy to get rid of them.
- Ginger Root: These roots are also useful to reduce abdominal pain and inflammatory conditions. You can consume these roots in liquid form, concentrated ginger juice or you can eat raw ginger to give your stomach a healthy boost.
- Licorice: Hernia can cause damage to the stomach lining and esophagus. Licorice root can be a healing stimulant; it can stimulate and help in regrowth of the body tissues. It also helps to get rid from pain and inflammation due to its analgesic properties.
- Lose Weight: Obesity is the major risk factor for the hernia patients as it slows down the healing process. If you lose the body weight your body will be under less physical strain, your posture will improve and symptoms may disappear naturally.
- Relieve Stress: A major factor in the formation of hernia is anxiety. Excess stress hormones in the body can weaken the body’s organs and slow down the body’s metabolism. You can add yoga or meditation to your daily routine to relieve stress.
Ayurvedic Remedies For Hernia
Planet Ayurveda offers an combination of effective herbal remedies for the treatment of hernia. These herbal formulations are made of pure herbs and they are chemical and preservative free; hence doesn’t cause any side effects.
1. Mahashankh Vati
Mahashankh vati is an Ayurvedic formulation that consists of Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), Pippali (Piper longum), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Maricha (Piper nigrum) etc. This medicine acts as an antacid which helps to improve digestion to neutralize the ph property of the gastric juice.
Doses: Two tablets twice daily with plain water half an hour after meal.
2. Chitrakadi Vati
Chitrakadi vati is prepared by Chitrak (Plumbago zeylanica), Shunthi (Zingiber officinale), Maricha (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum), Hingu (Ferula assa- foetida) etc. It balances pitta dosha of the body and it has both antacid properties as well as digestion improvement properties.
Doses: Two tablets twice daily with plain water half an hour after meal.
3. Kanchnaar Guggul
Kanchnaar guggul is prepared by extracts of Kanchnaar bark (Bauhinia variegata), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Ginger (Zingiber officinale) and Pippali (Piper longum) etc. This herbal combination is very effective in treating overgrowth and any kind of cancer.
Doses: 2 tablets twice daily with plain water half an hour after meal.
4. Vara Churna
This herbal churna is prepared from herpes like Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica) and Amalaki (Emblica officinalis). This churna helps in detoxification of the body and helps in digestion.
Doses: One teaspoon twice daily with plain water half an hour after meal.
5. Tribulus Powder
The main ingredient of these capsules is Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris) .It is a gelatin free capsule shell which is totally safe to be taken orally. Gokshur is a diuretic and it has analgesic properties. It helps in dealing with symptoms associated with Hernia.
Doses: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water half an hour after meal.
Diet Recommendation In Case Of Hernia
Food To Eat
- Leafy green vegetables.
- Beans, peas etc.
- Lean proteins.including tofu fish etc.
- Non citrus fruits and juices.
- Green tea.
- Apple cider vinegar.etc.
Food Not To Eat
- Oily food.
- Red meat.
- Fatty food.
- Artificial sweeteners.
- High fats dairy product.
- Salty food etc.
Hernia is a common condition with no harms as such. It can be easily managed by regular use of Herbal formulations which are offered by Planet Ayurveda and they are totally safe to use. Along with medicines follow dietary changes.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is The Best Treatment for Sarcoidosis? - July 9, 2021
- Herbal Remedies for Deviated Nasal Septum - July 5, 2021
- How to Treat Seborrheic keratosis in Ayurveda? - July 2, 2021
- Arachnoiditis, Symptoms, Causes and Ayurvedic Treatment - June 24, 2021
- Transverse Myelitis Treatment in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - June 21, 2021