Why Heart Attacks Are Increasing Now-A-Days?
Human heart is an organ which pumps the blood throughout the body through the circulatory system and supplies oxygen and nutrients to the tissues and also removes carbon dioxide and other wastes from the body. The tissues of the body need a constant supply of the blood and nutrition but if the heart is not able to supply nutrients and blood to the organs as well as issues, then they will die. Heart is one of the vital organs of the day; if it will die then the person will die too. Heart attacks are becoming very common and increasing nowadays. Every minute there is death related to heart attack. People suffering from any heart diseases always seek for alternatives to modern treatment like allopathic medications for heart, coronary stenting or coronary bypass surgery. Ayurveda is an ancient science which is a holistic approach to health care which will never cause any type of side effect and always maintain the overall health of the person including heart health in order to avoid any heart attack.
Heart attack occurs when the blood supply which normally nourishes our heart muscles with the oxygen is cut off and these muscles begin to die. Heart attack is also caused by coronary artery spasm when the heart artery gets temporarily constricted. According to the Ayurvedic context it can be correlated with the Hriday roga. Hridya roga is caused by all the three doshas spread in the regions of heart leading to heart disease i.e. Hridya Roga.
Causes of increasing heart attack are
Altered Food Habits – Nowadays people eat cholesterol rich diets like increased meat, reduced fiber, fatty foods and increased intake of processed food. This leads to increased triglycerides and fatty acids in the blood. As these pass through our blood vessels then sluggish fats get deposited in the sides of the blood vessels known as plaque. These also attract more and more deposits, and then gradually increase in size. Then the blood vessels get narrowed and blood flow to the target organs gets reduced. The condition could be mild to moderate or severe depending on the organ which is affected. When the brain or heart get affected this can lead to stroke or heart attack respectively.
Sedentary Lifestyle – Another main cause of increasing heart attack is reduced physical activity level in the people. Physical activity of a person manages the even increased fatty acids and uses them in the form of energy. But in physically inactive persons, then the formation of the plaque will increase, which will lead to increase in strokes and heart attacks.
Obesity – Increasing weight is an indicator of increasing future heart disease or heart attacks. One should manage obesity in order to control heart diseases.
Diabetes – Person’s suffering from diseases like Diabetes is at higher risk of having heart attacks.
Blood Pressure Levels – Elevated blood pressure level can lead to heart attack.
Some other causes may include
- CHD (Congenital heart defects)
- Coronary artery disease
- Excessive use of caffeine or alcohol
- Drug abuse
- Valvular heart disease
According to Ayurveda context, causes may include: (Charak Chikitsa-26/77)
- Physical exertion
- Drastic and excessive purgation and enema
- Faulty management of the disorders
- Suppression of the vomiting
- Any type of injury to the heart
Symptoms of the heart attack may include
- Pain or discomfort in chest, arm or breast bone
- Dizziness or lightheadedness
- Fluctuation in the heartbeat
- Difficulty in the breathing
- MI (Myocardial infarction mostly in diabetic patient)
- Heaviness in chest
- Swelling in abdomen, legs and ankles
- White sputum
- After doing normal activity there is shortness of the breath
- Pressure in upper back
According to Ayurveda, symptoms may include: (Charak Chikitsa- 26/78)
- Vevaranya (Abnormal complexion)
- Murchha (Fainting)
- Jwara (Fever)
- Kasa (Cough)
- Hikka (Hiccup)
- Shwas (Dyspnoea)
- Asya Verasaya (Distaste in the mouth)
- Trishna (Polydipsia)
- Pramoha (Mental confusion)
- Chhardi (Vomiting)
- Kaphoutklesha (Excitement of Kapha)
- Ruja (Chest pain)
- Aruchi (Anorexia)
There are number of factors which can put us at the risk of heart attack, these factors include
Family History – If any of your family person or close relative had a heart attack, then you are also at a higher risk of having a heart attack.
Age – Men above the age of 45 and women above 55 are considered to be at risk, but due to lifestyle and dietary changes people in their late 30s are at risk of having heart attacks
Sex – Men are at risk of heart attacks than women.
Race – African people are at high risk of heart attacks.
Complications may include
- Heart failure
- Pulmonary embolism
- Cardiac arrest
- Kidney failure
- Liver damage
- Heart valve problems
Diagnostic procedures may include
- ECG (Electrocardiogram)
- CT scan
- Holter monitoring
- Cardiac catheterization
- MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging-Cardiac)
Modern procedures to treat the heart attack include
- Heart bypass surgery
- Heart valve surgery
- Heart transplant
- Medications like aspirin, painkillers, anti-platelet drugs etc.
As we all know that there are so many side effects of modern medications and procedures and these procedures are so expensive. So, one should always go for Ayurvedic treatment which lacks any side effects. The goal of Ayurvedic management of heart attacks is the removal of the blockage by the use of Panchakarma, Herbal remedies, the right diet, and lifestyle.
1. Panchakarma procedure
Panchakarma procedures which are effective in management of heart attack including heart diseases are as follows
- Snehana (Internal and external oleation)
- Mridu Swedana (Soft fomentation)
- Mridu Vamana (Soft emesis) in Kapha and Vata predominant conditions
- Mridu Virechana (Soft purgation) in Pitta dominating conditions
- Langhan (Starving) in Tridosha condition
- Pachana (Digestion)
- Shirodhara (Pouring liquids like oil on the forehead)
2. Herbal Remedies
Planet Ayurveda has a combination of the best herbal formulations named as Heart care Pack for treating heart attack and heart related diseases.
The herbal formulations included in this pack are
- Arjuna Capsules
- Arjun Tea
- Total Heart Support
- Gotu Kola Capsules
1. Arjuna Capsules
This is the herbal formulation of the Planet Ayurveda which is very effective in maintaining the high blood levels and cholesterol levels in the body. This remedy includes standardized extract of the Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) which is highly effective in maintaining health of the heart. This is also effective in improving general weakness, healing injuries, healing diabetic wounds, works as an antidote etc.
Dosage- 1 Capsule twice daily with plain water, after meals.
2. Arjun Tea
Arjun Tea is very effective in treating several heart diseases in order to prevent heart attack and also maintain the health of the heart. Ingredients included in this herbal formulation are Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) helpful in strengthening heart muscles, Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa) have rejuvenating and diuretic properties helpful in relaxing the heart muscles, Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum) has antioxidant property helpful in maintain the cholesterol levels and high blood pressure, Pipak tvak (Ficus religiosa), Chhoti Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum).
Dosage- 1 Cup daily.
3. Total Heart Support
This remedy is made from the standardized extracts of four herbs which are effective in maintaining heart muscles and support the nervous control as well. These herbs are Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) and Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis)
Dosage- 2 Capsules twice daily with plain water, after meals.
4. Gotu Kola Capsules
Gotu Kola capsule is a single herb formulation made by extract of Gotukola also known as Mandukaparni Certain compounds in gotu kola appear to reduce edema and blood pressure. It regulates the blood circulation as it has anti-inflammatory properties which relieves tension in veins or arteries.and for same anti-inflammatory properties ,Gotukola can be used as a treatment for varicose veins and venous insufficiency.It also appears to boost collagen formation, which could aid wound healing. Antimicrobial, antidiabetic, anti-inflammatory, antidepressant, and memory-enhancing effects have all been associated with Gotukola.
Dosage- 1 Capsule twice daily with plain water, after meals.
3. Dietary Recommendation
Person should always eat a well-balanced nutritious food
Foods to avoid
- Foods which are rich in bad cholesterol like animal meats, egg yolks etc.
- Red meats like mutton, pork, and beef
- Prawns and crabs
- Cheese, condensed milk, butter, coconut, milk cream, and palm oils etc
- Salty foods like poppadoms, fries, pickles, etc
- Sugary foods like pastries, cakes, ice-cream, chocolates etc
- Tea, colas, coffee
- Alcohol consumption
- Fruit syrups
- Canned vegetables
Foods to consume
- Carbohydrate rich foods like brown rice, wheat, jowar, maize, barley, oatmeal, whole wheat flour, whole grain pasta
- Green leafy vegetables
- Sprouted and whole pulses
- Egg whites
- Meats like poultry and fish
- Vegetable oils
- Fermented milk products like buttermilk and low fat milk
- Fresh fruits (taken in excess but without sugar)
4. Lifestyle changes
Lifestyle changes may include
- One must have an active life with exercise and work
- Do not overexert if having a weak body
- Should avoid any type of negative thoughts
- Always think positive
- Have a cheerful attitude towards life
- Do yoga regularly
- Do pranayam daily
- Meditation is very effective in relieving stress which is helpful in managing any cardiac problems like heart attack
Ayurvedic concept in managing Heart attack is primitive as compared to that of modern medicine system and it does not extend to any serious heart complication like Ischemic Heart Disease, Congestive Heart Failure, etc. In this article we concluded the favorable effect for Ayurveda on heart function and multiple risk including factors causing heart attack. Panchkarma, a healthy diet and lifestyle including herbal formulations of Planet Ayurveda are very effective in preventing heart attack or any heart disease (Hridroga) which shows their efficacy in treating various heart diseases and avoiding heart attacks.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- EPIDERMOLYSIS BULLOSA - September 30, 2023
- WHAT ARE HER2 BREAST CANCER? - September 29, 2023
- Vestibular Hypofunction – Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment - September 28, 2023
- CONCEPT OF AGNI AND HEALTH ISSUES DUE TO LOW DIGESTIVE FIRE? - September 28, 2023
- Chlamydia Trachomatis Causes, Symptoms, And Herbal Treatment - September 28, 2023