Natural Remedies for Henoch-Schonlein Purpura(HSP)
Bursting of vessels in our circulatory system can cause blood to pool just under the skin is known as Purpura which is a disease. Another name given to it is known as blood spots or skin hemorrhages, which leads to many problems in the body like minor injuries to fatal infections. These spots can appear on mucous membranes, as likely they can take place inside the mouth. Purple color spots that are visible on the skin even with naked eyes are the main characteristics of this disease.
These purple color spots on the range in size from dots to large patches are visible on the skin with naked eyes. These spots may indicate a more serious condition like blood clotting disorder, Low Platelet levels in our body can also cause excessive bleeding and bruising. Clotting of blood is done by Platelets, platelet are the cells responsible to clot the blood in your circulatory system. The reason behind the decrement of platelets in our bodies is due to our genes and inheritance.
Some of the other reasons behind Low Platelets are:
- Infections like HIV
- Replacement of hormone
- Bone marrow transplants
Types of Purpura
There are 2 categories of Purpura depends upon the platelet count, as platelets are the cell fragments that help in clotting the blood more effectively and prevent the excessive bleeding in the body.
Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic purpuras
Characteristics of these purpuras are low platelet counts hence suggesting an underlying clotting disorder.
Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic Purpuras are further divided into 2 types.
The 2 types are as follows:
1. Acute(short term)
This type of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic purpuras is mostly seen in kids. The duration of this purpura is less than six months.
2. Chronic (Long term)
This type of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic purpuras is seen mostly among adults it lasts more than 6 months. Children and teenagers are also prone to get into clutches of this disease.
Causes of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic purpuras:
The immune system is the producer of antibodies against platelets in Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic purpuras. Hence these platelets get killed and removed by the spleen. In Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic purpuras, the Immune system also hinders the working of the cells that produce normal platelets; this is also the reason behind the decreasing amount of platelets in the bloodstream. Mostly in kids, Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic purpuras develop due to viruses, in adults, ITP usually develops over time.
Symptoms of Idiopathic Thrombocytopenic purpuras:
- Blood in the urine and blood in the stool.
- In women, menstruation becomes abnormally heavy.
- Bleeding from cuts gets prolonged.
- Copious bleeding during surgery
- Unforced nosebleeds
- Gums bleed extensively(during the dental procedure)
- On lower legs, patches of very minor size appear
In physical examination, your doctor will examine you thoroughly asking about your medical history and medications taken by you. A blood test can also be recommended for a complete blood count. Depending upon the symptoms of the patient blood tests may include tests to find the exact functioning of the liver and kidney function. A blood test to check platelet antibodies can also be prescribed by the physician. To check the low platelet count your doctor may prescribe your bone marrow test also. The reason behind this can be the destruction of your platelets in the spleen and bloodstream after leaving the bone marrow
Non – Thrombocytopenic purpuras
Normal levels of platelets are there but the cause may vary in this condition.
Henoch – schonlein purpura
The cause of this purpura is an inflammation of small blood vessels that cause them to leak that make rashes on the skin. This disorder can lead to inflammation as well as bleeding in other parts of the body too, like intestines, kidneys, and joints. Due to this purpura pain in the abdominal and joints can be seen. This disease can affect anybody but children between the ages group of 2 to 6 years are mostly fall prey to this disease. Small red dots on the skin are the Henoch-schooling purpura’s characteristic rashes which occur mostly on buttocks and legs, the color gets change from red to purple, and further, it changes from red to brown. In all cases of Henoch-schooling purpura, rashes are present on the skin of the patient and it takes around 10 days to fade away from the skin.
Henoch-schooling purpura takes place mostly in the winter months.
Main of the Henoch-schonlein purpura :-
1. Immune system
Our immune system produces antibodies to fight viruses and bacteria. In the case of Henoch-schooling purpura, blood vessels get attacked by the antibodies instead, as a result, leakage, inflammation rashes take place.
If your forefathers are suffering from this disease you may have more chances of getting this problem of Henoch-schonlein purpura in your body. But it’s not necessary in all cases.
Allergy can also be the reason for Henoch-schonlein purpura as if you are having an allergic reaction from some foods that can also lead you to get this condition.
Some of the other causes
Insect bites, cold weather, bacteria, viral infections, contaminated or allergic food, medications are some of the reasons due to which you get this problem.
1. Kidneys: Blood in the urine is the symptom of Henoch-schonlein purpura in the kidney, excessive protein in the kidney and high blood pressure indicates kidney problems.
2. Headaches: Headaches and seizures due to Henoch-schonlein purpura can affect the Central nervous system. The brain’s ability to interpret and combine the information also gets affected due to Henoch-schonlein purpura.
3. Gender : Men and boys with Henoch-schonlein purpura may experience swollen testicles.
4. Ayurveda and Purpura: According to Ayurveda vitiation of Pitta Dosha in the body which results in the vitiation of Rakta Dhatu and mamsa dhatu. Ayurveda treats the Henoch-schonlein purpura by pacifying the irritated dosha as Ayurveda reverses the pathology of the disease.
Some of the herbs that help in combating with this disease are:
1. Gotukola: Very beneficial herb for skin ailments and many other benefits of this herb are known globally like mental focus, memory, and concentration. The anti-inflammatory properties of Gotukola help in healing purposes as well as its advantages to nursing the varicose veins.
2. Arjuna: Arjuna as a herb contains very powerful anti-oxidants like Oligomeric proanthocyanidins(OPC’s), gallic acid, ellagic acid. These flavonoids particularly the OPC’s have the power to shun many body ailments. Its used to treat the lymphatic system in the body is one of the best properties Arjuna bark has contained within itself. Relieving ulcers and wounds by balancing Pitta and Kapha dosha, and very useful in bleeding disorders of the body.
3. Planet Ayurveda one of the leading names in the Ayurvedic centers and manufacturers in India and Abroad provides,
Some of the best herbal remedies to treat the problem of Henoch-schonlein purpura are as follows:
1. Pitta Balance
Planet Ayurveda’s natural calcium and cooling compound provide quick relief to the person suffering from Henoch-schonlein purpura.
Dosage: 1 Capsule twice daily.
2. Gotukula capsules:
Gotukola helps in fighting with disorders of skin and bleeding problems of the body.
Dosage:1 Capsule twice daily.
3. Arjuna Capsules
To treat the various conditions of skin and ringworm infestation Arjuna as a herb is one of the best bets and to treat Henoch-schonlein purpura.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily.
To treat skin diseases gandhak is considered as the best herb for Henoch-schonlein purpura. This herb balances all 3 doshas and vitiated skin problems like boils, leprosy, and blood impurities.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice a day.
5. Coolstrin-B capsules:
Herbs that consist of cooling properties are the ingredients present in Coolstrin-B capsules, that restore Pitta balance naturally and very rapidly. This herbal remedy not only gives you relief in skin treatments it also helps in giving relief from all kinds of digestive problems.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice a day.
In this article, we try to give all the essential information about the disease Purpura and to treat it with the best herbal remedies.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Treatment of Sarcoidosis in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - November 20, 2023
- Vibhitaki/Baheda (Terminalia bellirica)- Benefits, Medicinal Uses, Dosage & More - November 18, 2023
- Chylous Ascites Causes Symptoms and Treatment in Ayurveda - October 4, 2023
- Treatment Of Schmidt’s Syndrome in Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - October 3, 2023
- Treatment Of Epidermolysis Bullosa In Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - September 30, 2023