How to Treat Gastroparesis with Natural Remedies?
Gastroparesis is a condition also known as delayed gastric emptying, affects the normal motility of the stomach because usually strong muscular contractions propel food in the digestive tract. But in this situation motility gets slows down which triggers the symptoms. Although there is no permanent management of this disease in other systems of treatment. The changes to your diet, lifestyle and the natural medical system can eliminate the root cause of the disorder.
Introduction to Gastroparesis
Gastroparesis is a heterogeneous disorder which involves the collection of digestive abnormalities and is a series of complex events coordinated by neurons, parasympathetic and sympathetic nervous system, cells in gut and pacemaker cells present in intestine and stomach. According to recent studies, the incidences of this disease is more in women than men and is more prevalent in younger age groups. (1) In total 100,000 people affected with definite gastroparesis 37.8 were women and 9.6 males. Idiopathic Gastroparesis is the most common category which is affecting 36% of the total patients. (2)
Ayurvedic Concept of Gastroparesis
Ayurveda is a traditional medical science that believes in eliminating the root cause of the disorder naturally. According to Ayurvedic principles, the onset of any disease is due to the bio-digestive fire i.e. Agni, which is present in the Jathara (stomach and intestine). Agni is responsible for digestion and metabolizing of food. Gastroparesis can be included in the category of Ajirna (indigestion) which is caused by the disturbed function of Agni. Ajirna can be considered as an initial source that leads to the production of Ama, the root cause of almost all ailments.
What are the Possible Causes of Gastroparesis?
According to Ayurveda, certain factors cause gastroparesis which may include-
- Envy (Irshya)
- Annoyance (Krodha)
- Drinking excess water (Atyambupana)
- Taking food either inadequate quantity(Vishmashana)
- Reduced natural urges (Sandharana)
- Insomnia or excess sleeping during day time (Swapna viparyaya)
- A feeling of fear (Bhaya)
- Prolonged disease
- Food intake with the feeling of stress, grief, sadness, and jealousy
There are certain factors and disease that may trigger the condition are-
- Autoimmune gastrointestinal dysmotility
- Neurological disorders like stress, tumors, Parkinson’s disease, sclerosis
- Amyloidosis, scleroderma and other rheumatological diseases.
- Medications like narcotics, dopamine agonists, etc.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Gastroparesis?
Symptoms may vary from person to person and severity of the situations. Some of the symptoms are as follows-
- Nausea and vomiting
- Felling od fullness after eating a few bites (Postprandial fullness)
- Abdominal pain and bloating
- Acid reflux and heartburn
- Lack of appetite
- Malnutrition and sudden weight loss
What are the Complications of Gastroparesis?
Gastroparesis may lead to following complications like dehydration, malnutrition, fluctuating blood sugar levels, excessive salivation, fatigue, etc. These factors will ultimately degrade the quality of life.
How can Natural Remedies Help in the Treatment of Gastroparesis?
As we discussed that gastroparesis is a stomach and digestive problem, so it is necessary to first take care of the diet and our lifestyle and also need a treatment that naturally manages the condition. Ayurvedic treatment is the best natural treatment that considers the management of diseases by herbal medicines along with a balanced diet and lifestyle.
Ayurvedic Treatment by Planet Ayurveda for Gastroparesis
To manage gastroparesis effectively, everyone should prefer Ayurvedic treatment. For fulfilling this need Planet Ayurveda is offering amazing formulations like Mahashankh vati, Digestion support capsules, Heartburn capsules, and Triphala churna. All the products are formulated using 100% pure and natural herbal extracts. The products are potent, the finest quality and are clinically approved. The formulations of Planet Ayurveda are HACCP, HALAL, GMP, etc. certified.
1. Mahashankh Vati
This herbal formulation contains medicinally important high-quality herbs like Shunti/Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Pippali (Piper longun), Shankha bhasma, Rock salt, Black salt, Shuddha vatsanabha and Tamarind bark (Tamarindus indica). The herbs work synergistically in reducing indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, peptic ulcers, bloating and acidity effectively. Mahashankh vati maintains healthy digestion, metabolism and efficiently balances Tridosha i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha.
Dosage– 2 tablets two or three times after meals with plain water.
2. Digestion Support
Digestion support capsules are formulated using Amla (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), Dhania (Coriander sativum), Pippali (Piper longum), Jeerak (Cyminum cuminum) and Bahera (Terminalia bellerica). All these herbs in combination help in stimulating digestive juices to strengthen the digestive system and improves indigestion and constipation which prevents the formation of Ama in the body.
Dosage– 1-2 capsules two times a day with plain water after meals.
3. Heartburn Capsules
Heartburn capsules supports healthy immune function and digestion in the body because of its amazing composition like Praval pishti, Akik pishti, Jahar Mohra pishti, Kamdudha ras, Mukta pishti and Giloy satva (Tinospora cordifolia). This product effectively reduces acid production by controlling excessive pitta secretions in the body. These capsules are a wonderful remedy for heartburn and provide a cooling effect in the body.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules two times a day after meals with plain water.
4. Vara Churna (Triphala Powder)
Triphala powder is an herbal amazing product that contains Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bhibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica) and Amalaki (Emblica officinalis). These traditional Indian herbs in combination improve all over digestion.
Dosage– It is recommended to take two to three grams of the powder with warm water in the evening time.
Dietary and Lifestyle Management of Gastroparesis
Here are some basic habits and dietary habits that should be followed in daily life as according to Ayurvedic principles our Aahar and Vihar play an important role in controlling the disease. Some of the habits can be-
- One should perform Surya Namaskar or sun salutation, which can have a positive impact on body and mind.
- One should avoid spicy food which leads to ulcers and heartburn.
- Intake of alcohol, smoking, etc. needed to be stopped.
- Food products like pineapple, papaya, etc. should be added in the diet which contains digestive enzymes.
- One must avoid drinking water during eating that may weaken the digestive fire.
- Hollow fried food items should be strictly prohibited in this situation.
- All milk products, non-vegetarian dishes, and citrus fruits must be avoided to manage the symptoms effectively.
- Try to do a regular walk and Pranayam in the morning to reduce the symptoms of this disease.
Hence to conclude this article improper lifestyle, unhealthy diet, erratic seasonal regimen, mental disturbances, etc. can contribute to the onset of the disease. And Ayurveda helps in balancing all conditions by providing treatment and proper management with diet and lifestyle.
Q1. Can gastroparesis turn into cancer?
Ans. No, there is no chance that it will turn into cancer.
Q2. What are the food items that can trigger this?
Ans. Alcohol, cheese, sedentary lifestyle, etc. can trigger this
Q3. Can we take allopathy medicines along with the Ayurvedic remedies?
Ans. Yes, you can take but keep a gap of at least half an hour between them. One more thing doesn’t do anything without consulting your doctor.
Q4. Can gastroparesis cause weight gain?
Ans. There are very rare chances that you will gain weight.
Q5. Does gastroparesis get worse with time?
Ans. Yes, it can happen if one doesn’t follow the proper diet, dietary restrictions, and medication.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment Of Interstitial Cystitis - August 26, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Cecal Volvulus - August 25, 2021
- Natural Remedies For PAD Disease In Ayurveda - August 19, 2021
- Ayurvedic Management for Mitral Valve Prolapse - August 18, 2021
- TOP 7 HOME REMEDIES FOR SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES - August 17, 2021