How to Treat Fatty Liver with Ayurveda & Home Remedies
WHAT IS FATTY LIVER DISEASE?
Some fats are in the liver is normal but if liver produces more than 5-10% of fat in the weight of the liver then this condition known as fatty liver disease.
It is also known as “steatosis”.
Fatty liver has an accumulation of triglycerides and other fats in the liver cells which is characterized by the enlarged and swollen liver with fat.
In some person, fatty liver may exhibit by hepatic inflammation and death of liver cells which is also known as Steatohepatitis.
It is a reversible condition that can be resolved with changed behavior, lifestyle, and diet.
It is of two type’s alcoholic liver and non-alcoholic fatty liver.
It can exist without causing any symptoms or getting worse in some people, in others fatty liver can lead to additional health problems.
Healthy liver tissue becomes partly replaced with fatty tissue and fat start to occupy the liver, gradually spread into healthy liver areas, so that less number of liver tissue remains.
Some peoples have a fatty liver without being overweight.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF FATTY LIVER?
- A poor appetite.
- Weight gain.
- Dull abdominal pain
- Blood sugar imbalance
- High blood pressure
- Nausea, fever, and vomiting.
- Physical weakness
- Confusion, poor judgment or trouble concentrating.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF FATTY LIVER?
- Excessive consumption of alcohol
- Increased body weight (obesity)
- High level of triglycerides in the blood
- The rapid loss in weight
- Certain cancer chemotherapy drugs
- Genetically inherited
- Insulin resistance (as occurs in diabetes)
DIAGNOSIS OF FATTY LIVER?
It can be diagnosed by
- Blood tests-complete blood count.
- Liver enzyme and liver function test.
- Test for chronic viral hepatitis.
- Celiac disease screening test.
- Fasting blood sugar.
- Lipid profile which measures blood fats, such as cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Plain ultrasound-It is the initial test when the liver is suspected.
- CT scan or MRI- They can be used for the diagnosis of fatty liver.
- Transient elastography- It is an enhanced form of ultrasound that measures the stiffness of liver.
- Magnetic resonance elastography- It combines with MRI with patterns formed sound waves bouncing off and liver to create the visual map showing gradients of stiffness throughout the liver reflecting fibrosis.
AYURVEDIC VIEW FOR CAUSE OF FATTY LIVER?
According to Ayurveda, fatty liver disease happens due to imbalances between three types of energies or doshas Vata, pitta, and kapha.
The liver is regarded as pitta organ, and it is essential for digestion and elimination.
Good health of the liver requires balance in pitta dosha in order to strengthen the ability of the liver to flush the toxins from the body.
When there is overloading of a liver with toxins like fats and alcohol, it will work too hard and burn too hard. This leads to inflammation and problems throughout the body
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR FATTY LIVER?
1. Yakrit Plihantak Churna
This is a herbal powder made from the wonderful herbs like Bhumiamla (Phyllanthus niruri), Katuki (Picrorhiza kurroa), Makoy (Solanum indicum), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Kaasni (Cichorium intybus), Sharpunkha (Tephrosia purpurea) and Bhringraj (Eclipta alba). This is very useful in all the liver anomalies. This herbal powder helps in the treatment of liver cirrhosis, fatty liver, spleenomegaly, hepatitis B, etc.
Dosage: 1 teaspoonful twice a day before meals with warm water or decoction method.
2. Livoplan Syrup
This is a herbal syrup that contains herbs such as Bhringraj (Eclipta alba), Sharpunkha (Tephrosia purpurea), Kalmegh (Andrographis paniculata), Shyonak (Oroxylum indicum), Rohitaka (Tecomella undulata), Bhumiamla (Phyllanthus niruri), Patol (Trichosanthes diocia), Kasni (Cichorium intybus), etc. These herbs regenerate the liver cells and protect the liver from toxins. It eliminates the toxins from the liver and provides a healthy liver function.
Dosage: 2 tsp twice a day after meals.
3. Liver Detox Formula
Dosage: 1 capsule twice a day after meals with warm water.
HOME REMEDIES FOR FATTY LIVER
There are some home remedies which can cure the fatty liver disease.
1. Apple cider vinegar
It is one of the best remedies for fatty liver disease.
It removes the fat which is accumulated in and around the liver and promotes weight loss.
It encourages healthy liver functioning and reduces liver inflammation.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Treatment of Sarcoidosis in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - November 20, 2023
- Vibhitaki/Baheda (Terminalia bellirica)- Benefits, Medicinal Uses, Dosage & More - November 18, 2023
- Chylous Ascites Causes Symptoms and Treatment in Ayurveda - October 4, 2023
- Treatment Of Schmidt’s Syndrome in Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - October 3, 2023
- Treatment Of Epidermolysis Bullosa In Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - September 30, 2023