Herbal Remedies for Fatty Liver – Type, Causes, Sign & Symptoms
Fatty liver is a disease condition affecting the liver in which fat builds up inside the liver. It is also termed as Hepatic Steatosis. Normally some amount of fat is present in liver, the problem starts when this fat increase in the amount and pose as a threat. In this condition, fat comprises more than 10% of liver weight. Fat deposited in the liver can cause inflammation of the liver.
What are The Type Of Fatty Liver?
There are two types of fatty liver-
• Non-alcoholic fatty liver – This is more common type of fatty liver. In initial stages it is harmless but it can take a severe form. The liver becomes swollen and inflamed and scarring can occur.
• Alcoholic fatty liver- It is caused due to the heavy intake of alcohol. The Alcoholic fatty liver usually does not cause symptoms until the liver is severely scarred and damaged.
What are The Risk Factors For Fatty Liver?
- Being overweight or obese.
- Elevated levels of triglycerides.
- A Risk factor increases with increasing age.
- Low HDL cholesterol
- Hepatitis c and other liver infections.
- Sedentary lifestyle.
What are The Causes Of Fatty Liver?
Fat may come to the liver from different parts of the body or absorption of fat from intestines increases. Decreased ability of the liver to break fat can also be one of the causes.
Fatty liver can also be the result of eating an excess of fat when the Liver is not able to able break a large amount of fat and gradually fat starts to accumulate. Certain other conditions can lead to fatty liver like excess alcohol consumption, obesity, and malnutrition.
What Sign & Symptoms Do Patient Experience in Fatty Liver?
Fatty liver is usually suspected after finding elevated levels of liver enzymes during a random medical checkup. Fatty liver can be present for years and do not produce any symptoms, symptoms tend to appear only after the disease take a severe form.
Some of the sign and symptoms patient can experience are listed below:
- Weak concentration and confusion
- Yellowish discoloration of skin and eyes
- Size of liver increases
- Dark patches under the eyes and underarms
- Swelling of legs
- Loss of appetite
How Is Fatty Liver Diagnosed?
As it has no sign and symptoms in most cases a case of fatty liver can be missed. Fatty liver is suspected when a doctor notice abnormal changes in liver enzymes along with it there can be enlarged liver in physical examination. Liver biopsy is one of the best ways to become sure in case of fatty liver in which a tissue from a patient’s liver is taken and checked under a microscope.
What Will Be The Long-Term Effect of Fatty Liver?
Mostly the cases of fatty liver if handled properly do not progress in any complicated disease. If fatty liver progress, it can become cirrhosis and which will ultimately result in liver failure. Advanced cases can lead to liver cancer and death.
How can Fatty Liver Be Prevented?
- Loose weight
- Eat a balanced diet
- Increase physical activity
- Lower the triglyceride level.
- If the patient is diabetic, control sugar levels
- Have regular check-ups from the doctor
How Can Fatty Liver Be Treated?
In conventional treatment, there is no specific medicine for fatty liver. The Patient is only advice to monitor and control their lifestyle. In the early stages of the fatty liver fatty liver can be improved or reversed by taking few measures. Few measures advice to treat fatty liver are-
- Limiting alcohol consumption
- Control diabetes and hypertension if the patient has any of them
- Loose weight
- Decreasing blood cholesterol levels.
How Ayurveda Can Treat Fatty Liver?
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian medicine system. In Ayurveda treatment is done using natural herbs and combination made from these herbs. Treatment in Ayurveda completely natural and safe. Healing from any disease is gentle, quick and from the root. Effects are long lasting. According to Ayurveda, any disease is caused due to the imbalance of three doshas, i.e. Vita, Pitta, and Kapha. Ayurvedic remedies made from natural herbs balances these doshas eradicating the disease from the root and bringing a long lasting relief without any side effects.
Which Herbs Can Be Helpful In Fatty Liver?
- ARJUNA- Arjuna is used as a powerful remedy which can be used for different diseases due to its remedial actions. It tones heart and is good for muscles. It strengthens the heart muscles and improves blood circulation. So Arjuna helps by maintaining blood pressure levels.
- PUNARNAVA- Punarnava is beneficial ayurvedic medicine used for different purposes. Here it can help by maintaining blood sugar levels in a diabetes patient.
- BHUMI AMLA- It is a very good remedy for liver ailments. It can be used for different forms of hepatitis and liver failure. It can treat jaundice by lowering the level of bilirubin.
- ECHINACEA- It boosts the immune system and also treats the inflammatory conditions. It treats infectious diseases.
- DALCHINI- Dalchini helps in various ways. It relieves nervous tension and improves health.
How Can We Help You at Planet Ayurveda?
Planet Ayurveda deals in ayurvedic medicines for various diseases. Medicines are 100% natural and safe. Treatment is long-term and does not have any type of side-effects. The Authenticity of herbs and medicines are our priority and specialty.
We have fatty liver care pack specifically for the fatty liver condition.
1. ECHINACEA CAPSULES
Echinacea is also known as kalmegh. It is a single herb capsule used as for various health ailments.it controls inflammatory conditions very well. It also acts as anti rentroviral agent and help controlling growth of viruses like in hepatitis b virus. It is one of the best Ayurvedic supplement to maintain health. It supports the body by boosting up the immune system. It is 100% natural and safe. It is a single herb capsule and help supports the health.
DOSAGE- Two capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. YAKRITPLIHANTAK CHURNA
In Sanskrit yakrit means liver and pliha means spleen. It is a herbal composition of various ingredients like Ecliptaalba(bhringraj), Phyllanthus niruri(bhumi amla), Andrographis paniculata(kalmegh) etc. it is a great herbal powder supplement which supports and maintain liver and its function. Along with fatty liver it relieves jaundice, liver damage, cirrhosis and infections. The herb named katuki present in this churna enhances production and excretion of bile. Functioning of liver is improved by kalmegh, mayoke and bhringraj. Punarnava and bhimu amla helps relieve inflammation and enlargement of liver. Giloy improves metabolism of liver.
DOSAGE- boil one teaspoonful of powder in 400 ml of water. Boil till it remains 50ml of water and then strain it and drink. Do it daily for two times.
3. PHYLLANTHUS NIRURI
it supports overall health and wellbeing. Phyllanthusniruri is commonly known as bhumiamla. It maintains the liver and digestive system. It pacifies pitta and kapha doshas in body. It treats inflammation of liver. Bhumi helps treating other disease conditions like hepatitis A, hepatitis, hepatitis C. it stimulates liver and improves digestion.
DOSAGE- Two capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. LIVER DETOX CAPSULES
It maintains liver and its function in a very natural and gentle way. It improves digestion by strengthening liver functions. Its ingredients are- katuki, kalmegh, makoy, himsra etc. . . Katuki present in these capsules increases secretion of bile and act as an antibiotic. It is powerful liver stimulant, laxative and appetite stimulator. It also helps treating viral infections and associated symptoms like anorexia, nausea and vomiting. It has a cooling effect on body and improves digestion.
DOSAGE- Two capsules twice a day after meals with plain water.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Rubia Cordifolia: A Beneficial Herb (मंजिष्ठा एक लाभकारी औषधि) - September 19, 2019
- The Secret Of Looking Beautiful Naturally? - September 16, 2019
- श्वास की बीमारी का आयुर्वेदिक उपचार (Ayurvedic Treatment for Respiratory Disorders) - September 12, 2019
- How Ayurveda can help in treating Diabetic foot - September 6, 2019
- What is an alternative to Wysolone for ITP? - September 2, 2019