Herbal Remedies for Discoid Lupus Erythematosus
Discoid lupus erythematosus is an autoimmune condition of skin. The patients with systemic lupus erythematosus develop this condition. Discoid lupus erythematosus is a chronic form of systemic lupus erythematosus. It is characterized by autoantibodies, immune complex formation and immune dysregulation which results in damage of vital organs such as kidneys, skin, blood cells and also the central nervous system. If the condition is diagnosed early then careful treatment can show impressive improvement in the progression. This condition can be divided into localized, generalized and childhood discoid lupus. In this article we will discuss the discoid lupus in detail which includes causes, symptoms, signs, characteristic of lesions and also about its ayurvedic relation.
Generally lupus erythematosus is seen in two well defined forms one is systemic (acute) lupus erythematosus and discoid (chronic) lupus erythematosus. SLE has a profound impact on the vital organs and DLE is known to build chronic and localized lesions on skin. The areas which are generally involved is the bridge of the nose and adjacent cheeks. There is no specific cause mentioned about this condition in modern science. The patients with SLE develop DLE more frequently than the patients of DLE developing SLE. The lesions are generally diagnosed using biopsy of skin and if not treated then can last for years without treatment. In this condition patients develop coin shaped lesions on the surface of the skin. Now we will discuss this condition in detail.
- Sex: Females are most commonly affected with this condition and males are generally affected in very low counts.
- Age: The age group that usually suffers from this condition lies between 20-40 years of age.
- Incidence and race: Discoid lupus affects around 40-50 people in every 100,000 of the world’s population and most frequently affected are the ones that have dark color complexion.
In Ayurveda this condition can be related to rakta vata rakta and the cause explained for vata rakta are as follows:
Amla, lavana, katu, snigdha, hot etc, eatables consumption in excess,kashay, katu, tikta and ruksha ahara intake in excess amounts, abhojana, virudha bhojana, ajerana bhojana, divaswapana (day time sleeping), ratri jagrana (late sleeping at night), langhana (fasting) and adharneeya vega dharan (controlling of urges).
In modern science discoid lupus do not have any significant cause. But it is generally believed that exposure to sunlight is a trigger. It is a non communicable condition that means it does not pass from one person to another.
Sign and Symptoms
According to Ayurveda there are certain purvarupa that are typically seen in rakta vata rakta. These Include abnormal perspiration, hyperpigmentation of skin, anaesthesia, feeling of excessive pain, altered colour of skin and blisters.
Symptoms and signs include oedema, redness with pain, pricking pain on skin, no effect of snigdha and ruksha medicines and itching and secretions. In modern science, the symptoms usually include round lesions, thick scales on skin and scalp, peeling, blistering lesions around elbow and fingertips, thinning of skin, tenderness, ulceration of skin and brittle nails.
- Location of lesions: The part of skin that is getting mostly exposed to the sun is most likely to get lesions in this case like on the scalp, neck, upper back, cheeks, lower lip, mucosal parts of the body and also on arms and trunk.
- Morphology of lesions: Skin lesions in this case are dull and purplish red in color, they appear in the shape of disc, either flat or raised on skin. They may also form a fluid filled dry crust, the skin may also lose their pigmentation and people with fair skin develop gray discoloration on the affected part.
- Scalp lesions: These lesions will appear as red and will slightly raise along with the hair loss and greying of hair is also noticed.
- Lip lesions: On the lower lip grey or red lesion may appear and the lesion is usually.
- Physical examination: Site of rashes, size of rashes and condition of rashes is usually observed.
- Skin biopsy is also done, for the confirmation of diagnosis.
- Renal function test (RFT)
In modern medicine, you are generally prescribed with steroids and some non steroidal anti inflammatory topical ointments that helps in subsiding the symptoms. Where as in Ayurveda the rakta vata rakta can be managed using purgation therapy, ghrita pana (internal use of medicated ghrita), dugdha pana (administration of medicated milk), parisheeka (stream pouring), anuvasana basti (type of medicated enema), sheetala and daha shamaka pralepa.
Planet Ayurveda which is a herbal manufacturing company offers some of its medications that show very effective results in case of discoid lupus. These medications are as follows:
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Radiant skin hair nails formula
- Manjishtha capsules
- Neem capsules
- Gotu kola capsules
- Nirgundi oil mixed with Jatyadi oil
1. Gandhak Rasayan
This formulation is a natural herbal supplement for skin rejuvenation and also helps in removal of harmful toxins from blood. Ggandhak rasayan is manufactured using purified sulphur and also improves in the lustre of skin.
Dosage: Two tablets twice a day after meals.
2. Radiant Skin Hair Nails Formula
This formula is manufactured using standardized extract of Rubia cordifolia (manjishtha), Fumaria officinalis (Pit papda), Swertia chirayita (Chirata) and Aloe barbadensis (Ghrit kumari). These all herbs are capable of providing very good and effective results in discoid lupus. Manjishtha which is the main ingredient is having many properties that help in detoxifying blood, clears skin and makes your skin beautiful.
Dosage: Two capsules a day after meals.
3. Manjishtha Capsules
These capsules are made using standardized extract of manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia). It enhances the blood circulation and also improves the quality of blood by removing toxins from it. It is having an antioxidant property and supports a healthy immune system.
Dosage: Two capsules a day after meals.
4. Neem Capsules
Neem is called as Azadirachta indica and is the best herb for scars and also for blood purification. It also helps in relieving itching and pain. It also helps in reducing scales and redness and gives your skin a clear spotless look. These capsules are also very much known to give antiparasitic and antibacterial effects.
Dosage: Two capsules twice a day after meals.
5. Gotu kola Capsules
The gotu kola (Centella asiatica) capsules are used in treatment of various diseases as they are capable of improving circulations and feed the body with vitamin A, B, K, Magnesium and E.
Dosage: Two capsules daily twice after meals.
6. Nirgundi Oil Mixed with Jatyadi Oil
Jatyadi taila have powerful ingredients like Patol (Trichosanthes dioica), Karanj ( Pongamia glabra), Yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), Manjishtha (Rubia cordifolia) and many more. On the other hand nirgundi (Vitex negundo) oil is specifically made using nirgundi herb only. The local application of these two oils is capable of reducing inflammation, have antibacterial and soothing effects on skin.
Use: Local application on affected areas twice daily.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
DLE is a chronic disorder and needs time to be perfectly managed. The products offered by planet Ayurveda for this condition are very helpful because they can be taken for longer durations and cause no side effects. Also these products are very useful in management of DLE. In case of any query kindly visit www.planetayurveda.com
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Oromandibular Dystonia - March 4, 2021
- Ayurvedic Medicines for Testicular microlithiasis (testicular cancer) - March 3, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Essential Thrombosis - March 1, 2021
- Can Klebsiella Causes Sepsis? – Ayurvedic Perspective - February 25, 2021
- Herbal Remedies for Eruptive Syringoma (benign adnexal tumor) - February 22, 2021