Herbal Remedies for ACL Tear in Ayurveda
Due to the improper handling during sports activities the prevalence of active sports injury has been increased to a great extent. One such very common injury is an ACL tear. Besides sports injuries there are also various other causes of this tear. Ayurvedic treatment modalities have shown great results in such minor injuries. Various panchakarma therapies and herbal formulations had very effective results in this injury. So let’s just start discussing this in detail.
ACL tear is known as anterior cruciate ligament injury of the knee joint. The anterior cruciate ligament is a tissue that helps in joining the thigh bone (femur) with the tibia (shinbone) at the knee joint. In this there is tear or sprain in the ACL due to the overstretching of the ligament and anterior cruciate ligament plays a major role in providing stability to the knee joint.
These are the main causes, popularly known as nidan in Ayurveda that results in formation of an ailment.
- Injury to the knee during certain sports such as football, basketball, tennis etc.
- Improper landing after a jump
- Direct injury to the knee joint during the accident
- Massive collision with a hard structure
- Improper handling of sports equipment
- Sudden fall from higher surfaces
- Continuous wear and tear to the knee joint
- Heavy weight lifting
It means the general complaints along with which patients present in front of the physician.
- Presence of crackling sound (peculiar pop like sound) from the knee joint
- Severe pain
- Difficulty in walking
- Swelling over the affected part
- Raised body temperature
- Inability to sit on the lower surface as patients experience severe pain during bending the knee
It includes the common diagnostic approaches we use to identify the disease.
- Through proper clinical evaluation of the patient by using following below listed techniques:
- Thorough and detailed history taking
- By radiological examinations
- X ray
- CT scan (Computed tomography)
- MRI (Magnetic resonance imaging)
As per the Ayurveda
The two most commonly used diagnostic procedures are as follow:
Trividh pariksha (Group of 3 diagnostic procedures)
- Darshan- Diagnosis is made by doing visual examination of the patient.
- Sparshan- Physicians use tactile examination to evaluate whether skin is cold/hot. In an ACL tear, the affected part will appear hot to the touch.
- Prashan– Physicians ask direct questions from the patient, to evaluate the root cause of the disease i.e. history taking.
Rehabilitation and supportive therapy:
- Supportive exercise therapy to provide strength to the supporting structures such as exercises that strengthen the leg muscles, mainly hamstring muscles in order to attain stability in the legs.
- Proper training should be given to the sport person to perform jumping and landing in an adequate manner.
- Wear proper footwear and knee pads that help you from sports injury.
Does it need surgery?
Depending upon the severity if there is a minute level of injury is present it will get healed by its own all it needs is usage of proper rest as it helps in regaining the strength of ligament. Sometimes in case of severe injury Surgery is advised to replace the torn ligament followed by usage of proper rehabilitation techniques. Although in the majority of the cases a proper training programme is sufficient to reduce the risk of anterior cruciate ligament injury.
Use of Panchakarma Therapies
- Janu basti– In this by using a specially made wall with the help of udad dal over the knee joint, inside which herbally medicated oil is poured. It helps in strengthening the muscles, bones, ligaments and other structures surrounding the knee joint.
- Upnaha sweda (Poultice)- It means to ‘tie’. The bandage is tied around the injured knee joint that helps in trapping the heat inside the bandage and it will promote the fast healing of the injured anterior cruciate ligament.
- Lepana karma– In this use of medicated ghrita or any paste form of vata nashak ravya such as eranda (Ricinus communis) is applied over the injured knee joint. It will help in increasing the flow of oxygen and other healthy blood nutrients to the knee joint that helps in healing the torn anterior cruciate ligament fastly.
Along with the above mentioned therapies, the herbal and herbomineral formulations of planet Ayurveda are also very efficacious in healing the anterior cruciate ligament tear.
Herbal Formulations of Planet Ayurveda
Herbal remedies provided by Planet Ayurveda are 100% organic formulations. These purely herbal and herbomineral formulations are prepared from the best quality herbs. Thus they will support healthy functioning of bones and joints. Below listed are the medicines which will help you to support your bones and joints and shows great result in ACL tear:-
- Boswellia curcumin
- Coral calcium complex
- Joint Aid Plus capsule
- Yograj guggul
- Orthovita oil
1. Boswellia Curcumin
This herbal formulation is an effective combination of Boswellia and Curcumin extracts. It possesses great anti-inflammatory and antifungal properties that help in reducing the inflammatory response that is present in ACL tears. As curcumin the active extract of haridra (Curcuma longa) contains great wound healing properties and shallaki (Boswellia serrata) stops joint swelling and prevent degeneration of cartilage, so this joint combination of both the herbs shows great results in ACL tear as well.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Coral Calcium Complex
This herbal formulation contains potent ingredients such as praval pishti (coral), akik pishti (agate), jawar mohra pishti, kamdudha ras, mukta pishti (Pearl) and guduchi (Giloy satva). All the herbs and active minerals present in these herbomineral formulations contain good amounts of calcium and as we all know that it plays a major role in formation of bone structure so this herbal medicine works really well in ACL tear problems.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Joint Aid Plus Capsules
This herbal capsule of planet Ayurveda contains potent natural herbs such as Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Sonth (Zingiber officinale) and Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). Herbs present in medicine provide strength to the skeletal system of our body, aid in relieving joint pain associated with the ACL tear.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Yograj Guggul
This herbal formulation contains efficacious blend of various herbs and minerals such as shuddha (Pure) guggul (Commiphora mukul), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica) etc. It is a natural painkiller that helps in preventing muscle cramps and is very effective in various joint disorders. This medicine rejuvenates and strengthens the skeletal and neuro-muscular system which will help in strengthening the injury present in ACL tears.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meals.
5. Orthovita Oil
This herbal formulation of planet Ayurveda is an active blend of shul gajendra oil, gandhapura oil, turpentine oil, saindhavadi oil, prasarini oil and camphor. All these oils assist in relieving pain associated with ACL tears. It also helps in promoting healthy healing of the injured structure.
Dosage: Local application over the affected part.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Now we can conclude that in injuries like ACL tear, ayurvedic line of treatment has very good results. It not just assists in healing the injury but it also helps in providing the strength to the surrounding structures. For ayurvedic treatment you can choose herbal formulations of planet Ayurveda, to contact us you can directly visit our website www.planetayurveda.com from there you can get detailed knowledge of each and every topic. If you want to share your health query with us kindly share it on firstname.lastname@example.org. We are here to serve mankind!!
Dr. Vikram Chauhan
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ocular Surface Disease- Treatment in Ayurveda - June 7, 2023
- Panosteitis in Dogs- Ayurvedic Aspect and Treatment - June 6, 2023
- Epilepsy in Dogs- Ayurvedic Aspect and Treatment - June 5, 2023
- Equine Influenza Respiratory Disease of Horses- Treatment in Ayurveda - June 3, 2023
- Diseases of Horses Affecting the Hock Joint – Bog Spavin, Bone Spavin, and Curb - June 1, 2023