Healthy Tips to Improve Digestion During Summer
Digestion is a complex process that involves the breakdown of ingested food into nutrients. In other words, it is a catabolic process that involves the conversion of large food particles into absorbable and soluble small particles with the help of digestive juices, digestive enzymes, pancreatic juices, etc. In the human body, the digestion process starts in the mouth with mastication (a mechanical process) and ends in the large intestine. If our digestion is healthy, we are going to lead a healthy life and if it is affected then think about your body condition. There are certain factors that affect digestion, they are – our age, dietary habits, and lifestyle. But seasonal and climatic changes also impact our digestion. This is summer time and the heat of the sun is at its peak. As a result, the normal chores of all the living beings are affected, in fact, not only the external chores but our internal body organs also get affected. During summer, our alimentary system works and processes very slowly and our digestive fire becomes very weak. Mostly the individuals in summers suffer from dehydration, anorexia or loss of appetite, indigestion, food poisoning, heat exhaustion, etc.
Moreover, in Ayurveda prime importance is given to our Agni. A healthy life depends on our Agni. The quotation which defines the health
(Reference: Sushruta Samhita / Sutrasthana / dosha dhatu malak shyavridhivigyaniya / Shloka no.48)
This means that a person is healthy if there is an equilibrium of doshas (sharirik and mansik doshas), dhatus (seven dhatus), agnis (13 types of Agnis), malas (three malas) and sense organs (11 indriyas) and mana.
So, it is mandatory that if you want to live a healthy and long life, you have to keep your digestion in a right way.
To keep your Digestion on Track follows these things During Summer
Modify your diet and lifestyle by following given below tips DIETARY HABITS:
- A balanced diet always keeps digestion on track. What we eat determines our health so, give importance to a well-balanced diet which is rich in macro and micronutrients. Incorporate the green vegetables, fruits, pulses, salads in your diet such as green beans, brinjal, carrot, lady finger, bottle gourd, snake gourd, bell pepper, turnip, corns, onion, cucumber, moong daal, chickpeas, lentils, watermelon, melon, pomegranate, apple, pear, etc. They are a good option to be adopted. Prefer a colorful plate which is full of nutrients. Give importance to your diet because an appropriate diet is required to keep the digestion on the right track.
- Eat light and less: As the digestive fire becomes weak in the summer, our body is not able to digest the food properly and a person may end up with indigestion, bloating, acidity, etc. Hence, one should eat light foods that can be digested easily on time and it should be in less quantity.
- Forage for fibers and avoid fats: Fiber-rich foods are the healthiest way to keep the ailments of summer at bay because they aid smooth digestion. These foods also help to regulate peristalsis and stool consistency and try to avoid fats because fats take much longer time to digest as compared to other nutrients. Hence fibers prevent your body from delayed digestion issues.
- Add probiotics in your diet: Probiotics enable the digestive system to function properly and also help to support the immune system, hence prevent the digestion issues.
- Avoid spicy, oily, heavy and non-vegetarian diet as can cause irritation in the inner mucosa of the GI tract.
- Eat regularly and follow a proper schedule: Along with a proper diet, a proper interval in between every meal is also required. So, a balanced intake of substances along with an appropriate interval is important and also avoid late night meals.
- Ø Sufficient Hydration: Dehydration is the major problem during summers so ample intake of fluids is necessary to maintain healthy digestion. Furthermore, due to sweating our body loses the water and electrolytes very fast. Lack of fluid leads to dryness of the alimentary canal hence person may end up with constipation. So, to overcome these problems, you can incorporate juices along with water to maintain the water and electrolyte balance in your body to keep your digestion healthy.
- Ø Indulge in Light Exercises: We know that performing exercise on a daily basis is a key for good health but in summers due to excess heat we have to prefer light exercises. The reason is heavy and strenuous exercises will lead to water and ion imbalance which in turn will affect our digestive fire. So, if you want to maintain good health and digestion in summers you should go for light exercises and you can go for YOGA also.
- Ø Manage Your Stress: Stress is a provoking factor for almost all the health issues. You may have noticed that during stress you refuse foods, in fact your digestive system also refuses to digest and hold the nutrients. Due to this you will end up with indigestion and other problems. Here, the reason is that during stress, our nervous system is unable to produce neurotransmitters which stimulate the digestive juices, pancreatic juices, bile, etc. which are responsible for digestion. Thus, stress hampers digestion. So, try to reduce your stress level and manage your digestion.
- Ø Never Suppress the Natural Urges: We should never suppress the natural urges because suppression may lead to the accumulation of various toxins in the body and also impairs the balance of tridoshas that is responsible for whole body functions.
- Ø Follow Regimens According TO SEASONS: It is very important to follow the regimens and perform rituals according to seasons. So, in Ayurveda, it is clearly mentioned that Agni is the main factor that helps to maintain our health and for maintaining Agni we need to follow the regimens with respect to Ritu (Seasons). Here, in this context, Agni is referred to as Digestive fire.
- Ø Evade Bad Habits: Alcohol, cigarettes, caffeine, etc can intervene with your digestion so avoid your bad habits and stay healthy.
“Take Care of Your Digestion and It Will Take Care of You”
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Natural Treatment of Hospital-acquired pneumonia (HAP) - August 19, 2019
- Amazing Health Benefits of Asafoetida (हींग के औषधीय फायदे) - August 16, 2019
- Use of Enbrel Injections Along with Ayurvedic Herbs for Psoriasis - August 14, 2019
- What You Need to Know About Sciatica? (साइटिका / गृध्रसी एक दर्दनाक बीमारी) - August 13, 2019
- Exceptionally Therapeutic Qualities of Giloy (गिलोय के अमृतमय गुण) - August 12, 2019