Ayurvedic Ways to Heal Ulcerative Colitis Naturally
Ulcerative Colitis is a painful condition in which the intestine becomes chronically inflamed and causes the symptoms of recurrent bloody diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps, etc. Without treatment, this condition can lead to anaemia, malnutrition, weight loss etc. In ulcerative colitis, there is swelling and raw sores in the intestine’s lining.
If the bowel stays inflamed and ulcerated for many years, there is an increased risk that it could become cancerous. Standard drug treatments such as sulfasalazine and steroids can be helpful to some extent for alleviating the symptoms, but they don’t cure the disease and are associated with significant side effects.
In ulcerative colitis, a comprehensive strategy is more likely to get results which include several steps:
- Encouraging the growth of healthy bacteria.
- Replenishing the depleted nutrients.
- Reducing inflammation
- Rejuvenating the inner mucosa.
- Identifying and eliminating the dietary triggers
What are the symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis?
- Irregular bowel movements
- Abdominal cramps
- Blood in stools
- Reddish or yellowish undigested stool
- Lack of appetite
- Gas formation
- Weight loss
- Dark patches under the eyes
- Burning sensation in throat, chest, and abdomen.
- Occasional rectal pain
What is the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis according to Ayurveda?
In Ayurveda, instead of simply treating the symptoms, the treatment is aimed at restoring overall bowel health.It is considered as the worsened form of sangrahani (IBS). It can be treated successfully in Ayurveda.The main cause of Ulcerative Colitis in Ayurveda is Ama formation.
According to this shloka, a person who consumes incompatible foods, takes excess food, thus, develops the dreaded Ama dosha which is similar to poison. Hence it is called as Ama visha
(Reference: Ashtanga Hridya, Sutrasthanam, Chapter No. 8, Shlok No. 18)
- According to this shloka, the patient who suffers from severe abdominal pain due to indigestion should not take pain killers because the weak digestive fire which is the cause for Ama shall not be able to digest the doshas, medicines and food.
In Ayurveda, there are a number of herbs that reduce the inflammation, gas, painful cramps and generally improve digestion.
Herbal Remedies for Ulcerative colitis
- Planet Ayurveda offers herbal remedies for ulcerative colitis, which gently eliminate the ama, restore healthy digestion and focuses on healthy healing of ulcers.
- Arjuna Capsules
- Vatsakadi Churna
- Pitta Balance
- Kutajghan Vati
- The standardized extract of Terminalia arjuna tree bark is used to make this formulation. It is astringent, dry and light in nature and undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion.
- It has cold potency and acts as asrajit (useful in bleeding disorders). Being ksahaya (astringent) in taste, it acts as stambhak therefore useful in bleeding associated with ulcerative colitis. This herb is also useful in the treatment of ulcers and wounds due to Pitta and Kapha imbalance.
Dose:Take 2 capsules twice a day with plain water after taking meals.
- Vatsakadi Churna by Planet Ayurveda is a pure Ayurvedic product that works wonderfully in the intestines and is considered as the best Ayurvedic remedy in Ulcerative Colitis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), intermittent diarrhoea, gas, flatulence, irregular digestion etc.
Ingredients of Vatsakadi Churna
|Ingredient Name||Common Name||Parts used||Quantity (100 gm pack)|
|1.||Holarrhena antidysentrica||Kutaz||Bark||20 gm|
|2.||Aegle marmelos||Bilva||Fruit Pulp||15 gm|
|3.||Foeniculum vulgare||Saunf||Seeds||15 gm|
|4.||Coriander sativum||Dhania||Fruits||10 gm|
|5.||Cyprus rotundus||Nagarmotha||Rhizome||10 gm|
|6.||Punica granatum||Anar||Fruit rind||10 gm|
|7.||Elettaria cardamomum||Choti Elaichi||Whole||10 gm|
|8.||Myristica fragrans||Jaiphal||Fruits||10 gm|
How to use:
- Take 1 teaspoonful powder twice daily with plain water after taking meals or boil 1 teaspoonful of powder in 400 ml water and keep boiling until it remains 50 ml. Strain and drink the residue. Take it twice daily and make fresh every time.
3. Pitta Balance Capsules:
- It is a unique herbal formulation of Planet Ayurveda that consists of several unique combinations of ingredients which are cooling and are natural calcium compounds. Due to its cooling properties, these capsules are useful in ulcers, acidity, bleeding problems and therefore act as a natural remedy for ulcerative colitis.
Ingredients of Pitta Balance Capsules
|Common English Name||Classical Ayurvedic Name||Quantity|
|1.||Coral Calcium||Praval Pishti||125 mg|
|2.||Agate Calcium||Akik Pishti||125 mg|
|3.||An Ayurvedic Calcium Compound||Jawar Mohra Pishti||125 mg|
|4.||An Ayurvedic Calcium Compound||Kamdudha Ras||125 mg|
|5.||Pearl Calcium||Mukta Pishti||50 mg|
|6.||Tinospora cordifolia stem extract||Giloy Satva||125 mg|
Dose: Take 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after taking meals.
4. Kutajghan Vati
- Planet Ayurveda’s Kutajghan Vati is prepared using the standardized extract of the herb Holarrhena antidysenterica. This herb is bitter, astringent, light, dry in taste and undergoes pungent taste conversion after digestion.
- It has cold potency. Therefore, these tablets have Raktpittahara properties and absorbs moisture, therefore useful in bleeding disorders, improves digestion, useful in intestinal worms etc.
Dose: Take 2 tablets twice a day with plain water after taking meals.
Some of the Home Remedies for ulcerative colitis
- Combine 1 teaspoon of marshmallow root (Althaea officinalis), licorice (Glycyrrhiza glabra), wild yam root (Dioscorea villosa) and 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds (Foeniculum vulgare)
- Lightly simmer all of them in 1 quart of water for 10 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add 1 teaspoon of chamomile flowers (Matricaria recutita) and 1 teaspoon of peppermint leaf (Mentha piperita).
- Take 1 cup of this tea twice a day.
Some anti-inflammatory and digestive herbs relax the muscle constriction in the digestive tract, such as Hops (Humulus lupulus).
- Take 50 ml of fresh pomegranate juice regularly as it helps in relieving pain, bleeding and other symptoms of ulcerative colitis effectively.
Banana and Curd:
- Take fresh curd mixed with banana regularly.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Refined flour, sugar, dairy products are the common culprits so these must be avoided.
- It is also known that colitis also results from tension and stress, so reduce stress by doing Yoga and Meditation for 10-15 minutes regularly.ilk and milk products should be avoided, but fresh curd can be included in the diet.
- All processed, fermented and packaged foods must be avoided.
- Tea, coffee, alcohol must be avoided.
- Vegetables such as pumpkin, bottle gourd, ridge gourd, ash gourd should be included in the diet.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Primary Open-Angle Glaucoma - May 6, 2021
- Regulating Inflammatory Mediators Using Yakrit Plihantak Churna - May 6, 2021
- Biliary Atresia Treatment in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - May 5, 2021
- Treatment of Polymyositis Through Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - May 3, 2021
- How to Identify and Manage Our Emotional Triggers with Yoga and Ayurvedic Herbs - May 3, 2021