Ayurvedic Treatment for Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis
PSC is a disease of the bile duct. PSC slowly damages the bile duct. Bile is a digestive liquid that is made in the liver. It travels the bile duct to the gallbladder and to the small intestine, where it helps to digest fats and vitamins. So basically cholangitis refers to the inflammation of the gallbladder. In Ayurveda, any inflammation arises within the body due to the imbalance of the doshas. As pitta is the main site of the liver, so due to an imbalance of Pitta dosha, PSC arises.
PSC involves inflammation of the bile duct, either within the liver or outside the liver. Due to inflammation, the flow of bile from the liver to the intestine is obstructed. The bile accumulates in the liver causing liver damage. The cause of PSC is not known (idiopathic). It could be due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors. In Ayurveda, PSC is considered due to the imbalance of the Pitta dosha as the liver is the main site of pitta, so any imbalance in Pitta dosha may arise in this medical condition.
Symptoms Of Psc
PSC can be diagnosed before the symptoms arise by routine blood tests and x-ray which indicates the abnormality in the liver. Symptoms of PSC are discussed below :
- Pain in the upper right part of the abdomen
- Weight loss
- Enlarged liver
- Enlarged spleen
As the disease gets worse, symptoms of cirrhosis and liver failure may also arise, which are as follows:
- Easy bruising
- Redness in the palms
- Swelling in legs
- Yellow eyes and skin
Because PSC gets develops slowly, so you can have the disease for years before you have any symptoms. Many people have no symptoms when they are first time diagnosed with PSC.
Causes Of Psc
The cause of PSC is not known. However one or more of the following may play a role in causing the disease:
- Environmental factors
- Abnormality in the functioning of the Immune system
- Changes in the bacteria of the gastrointestinal tract also called gut flora or gut microbiome
- Bile duct injury caused by bile acids
Somewhat less often, people been treated for IBD turn out to have PSC as well. And rarely people with PSC develop inflammatory bowel disease only after having a liver transplant.
Complications Of Psc
Complications of PSC are listed below:
- Liver disease and failure: Since PSC is a chronic condition that develops inflammation in bile duct leading to tissue scarring, liver cell death, and eventually loss of liver function.
- Repeated Infections: If scarring of bile ducts slows or stops the flow of bile duct out of the liver then you may experience frequent infections in the bile duct.
- Portal hypertension: It refers to high blood pressure in portal vein which causes fluid from the liver to leak into the abdominal cavity (ascites).
- Thinning Bones: People with PSC may experience thinning bones (osteoporosis). Calcium and Vitamin D supplement may be prescribed to prevent bone loss.
- Bile Duct Cancer: PSC can lead to a higher risk of developing cancer in the bile duct and gallbladder.
- Colon Cancer: PSC associated with IBD have an increased risk of colon cancer.
DIAGNOSIS OF PSC
The investigations which help to diagnose PSC include
- Liver Function Test
- Mri of Bile Duct
- X-Ray of Bile Duct
- Testing a Sample of Liver Tissue
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda manufactures its herbal products as per instructions and formulas are given in ancient texts and scriptures. It offers natural supplements that are 100% safe products and manufactured under the guidance of MD doctors. The best range of herbal products for PSC by Planet Ayurveda is the liver care pack.
1. Liver Detox Formula
Planet Ayurveda’s Liver Detox capsules help in the maintenance of a healthy liver in a natural way. These capsules are totally vegetarian and have no side effects.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily after meals.
2. Indian Echinacea
Echinacea or Kalmegha is an amazing herb widely mentioned in ayurvedic scriptures. It supports the immune system and also maintains overall health.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily after meals.
3. Yakritplihantak Churna
It contains herbs like Phyllanthus niruri, Eclipta alba, Ardrographis panniculata, etc. This is among the best supplement which supports and maintain a healthy liver.
Dosage: You can boil the powder, 1 teaspoon full in 400 ml water, keep it boiling until it remains 50ml. Strain it and drink the water, leave the residue. Do it twice daily. Make fresh every time.
4. Phyllanthus Niruri
It is one of the best herbs for maintaining the liver and digestive system. Planet Ayurveda’s Phyllanthus niruri capsules are best suited for supporting the liver and its related organs.
Dosage: 2 capsules two times a day after meals.
Home Remedies, Diet And Other Lifestyle Recommendations
Medication is the main way to treat PHC. But we can also make simple changes in our daily life that help to ease the symptoms.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: In this medical condition, the patient should follow a healthy meal plan. It’s smart to eat a balanced diet rich in fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grain. Other diet tips to be considered:
- Watch your salt
- Go low fat
- Drink more and more water
- Also, adopting below given measures can also make you feel better, they are described below:
- Doing some kind of exercise such as swimming, walking, etc.
- Take good care of your skin as it may get itchy or look darker.
- Ease your fatigue.
- Stop smoking as smoking can trigger the disease and make it worse.
- Some of the yoga poses, which you should practice daily, can also help in maintaining and supporting good liver health, some of the yoga poses are described below:
- Big toe pose
- Boat pose
- Bridge pose
- Cat pose
- Cobra pose
PSC is a disease that causes inflammation in the gallbladder and disturbs the normal physiological function of the liver. As the liver is the vital organ of the body so it is very important to diagnose the disease as early as possible and the patient should take proper treatment to get cured. Diet and lifestyle changes support and improve the treatment for Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis. Planet Ayurveda serves as a proper place to be treated by herbal remedies which are 100% natural.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Lymphoma in Dogs- Treatment With Herbal Products - May 31, 2023
- Cushing Syndrome in Dogs- Treatment with Herbal Remedies - May 31, 2023
- Cheyletiellosis, Causes Symptoms, and Its Ayurvedic Treatment - May 30, 2023
- Skin Cancer in Dogs and Ayurvedic Treatment - May 29, 2023
- Kidney Diseases in Dogs and Their Treatment in Ayurveda - May 27, 2023