How To Deal With Post-Menopausal Symptoms With Ayurveda
There are various changes which occur in the female body, with the increasing age. Changes which result in severe health issues are not sometimes accepted by our body. Despite being a natural process in the body of a woman, Menopause is also one of them which results in various health problems.
Menopause is defined as the condition when the menstrual cycle stops in female due to destruction occurring in the function of ovaries like decreased hormonal production as a result of which female loses its ability to have babies. It mainly occurs at the age of 45-55. It is a natural process occurring in the life of a female and it is not a disease or a condition.
Fast Facts on Menopause
Here are several facts which are associated with Menopause, they can be –
- It marks the permanent end of fertility.
- Symptoms include – hot flashes, night sweats, cognitive changes and mood fluctuations
- Reduction in estrogen levels may lead to menopause
Signs and Symptoms of Menopause
It presents with following symptoms -
- Irregular periods – Primary symptom
- Fall in estrogen levels
- Pain during sexual intercourse
- Night sweats, hot flashes, mood fluctuations and cognitive changes
- Difficulty in sleeping
- Changes in size the of breast
- Weight gain and hair loss
- Short term memory problem
- Burning sensation during urination
- Dryness, Irritation and inflammation in the vagina due to Vaginal atrophy.
- Palpitations and heating sensation in the upper body parts
Causes of Menopause
Estrogen and Progesterone hormones are mainly associated with the regulation of menopause. When there is reduction in the production of these hormones occur, menopause start, complications usually start at the age of 30 years which leads to less chances of pregnancy. Twins are more prone to premature menopause – According to some studies. Here are some causes responsible for menopause -
- Turner’s syndrome
- Enzyme deficiencies
- Down’s syndrome
- Addison’s disease
- Diseases like Tuberculosis and Malaria
- Chemotherapy in pelvic areas
- Surgical removal of ovaries
Cause of Menopause According To Ayurveda
There are three energies which are responsible for our good health – Vata, Pitta and kapha – according to Ayurveda. When some imbalance occurs in these three energies, disease may occur. Vatas imbalance causes anxiety, insomnia and dryness of body tissues, Pitta imbalance leads to hot flashes like heat production in the body and Kapha imbalance may leads to mood swings and stress in the body of a woman and all these problems are associated to menopause. According to Ayurveda, natural diet, herbal medicines and yoga can help in the treatment of its symptoms.
Complicatios Associated with Menopause
Although, it is a natural process in the females but sometimes it may lead to some serious complications, which can be -
- Osteoporosis – Low bone density occurs during the starting years of the menopause and low bone density may lead to osteoporosis.
- Cardiovascular disease – Low estrogen levels are associated with increased chances of heart diseases.
- Breast cancer – Menopause increases the chances of breast cancer but exercise may help to decrease this problem.
- Urinary incontinence – Due to menopause, women may lose elasticity of her vagina and uterus due to which sudden, frequent and overwhelming urge to urinate increases. Which can lead to involuntary loss of urine after sneezing, coughing, laughing or lifting.
Diagnosis of Menopause
Diagnosis mainly includes women age, her menstrual pattern and any physical signs associated with it. Detection of low levels of AMH (Anti Mullerian hormone) in the blood. High levels of FSH levels are found in the blood. Estrogen levels are also estimated in certain circumstances.
Self-Management of Menopause
Menopause can be self-managed at home by using some self management techniques like -
- Nutrition - Always follow a healthy diet. Omega-3 rich foods mainly helps in decreasing stress and depression associated with menopause. Omega -3 rich foods are – oily fish, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, fiber, unrefined carbohydrates and unsaturated fats.
- Exercise - Exercise helps in preventing weight gain, protecting the bone, boosting general mood and reduces the risk of cancer. Women should daily perform exercise.
- Psychological assistance - Hypnosis, deep breathing exercises, progressive relaxation and guided medication may help. Stress aggravated the condition so find the causative agent to stress and avoid that agent and perform deep breathing exercises.
- Other Steps to Manage Menopausal Symptoms -There are few steps which can also help-
- Avoid alcohol. caffeine and spicy food
- Get plenty of rest to decrease stress
- Regulate the sleep cycle by waking up and going for sleep at the same time
- Avoid tight clothing
- Maintain cool and comfortable temperature in the bedroom
Herbal Remedies for Menopause by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda deals with manufacturing of those type of herbal medicines which treat the disease from root, boost up our health system and increase our immunity. All these herbal remedies are 100 percent pure, vegetarian and is free from side effects. Menopause care pack is the best herbal remedy manufactured by Planet Ayurveda.
Dosage - It is mainly given as -
- Female Health Support - 2 capsules, two times a day with plain water after meals
- Naari Kalyan Churna - 1 teaspoonful, two times a day with plain water after meals
- Pradarantak Churna - 1 teaspoonful, two times a day with plain water after meals
1.Female Health support
This is the amazing product by Planet Ayurveda to treat female health problems. It consists of various herbs which are as follows -
- Lodhra (Symplocus racemosa) – This herb is very effective in treating menstrual problems and also with the complications associated with menopause.
- Ashoka (Saraca indica) – This herb balances the female hormones and also help to fight against menstrual cycle irregularities.
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) – It helps to relieve symptoms associated with menopause like hot flashes and mood fluctuations. It also helps to maintain the levels of hormones in the body of a woman.
Shlokas Related to Shatavari
Reference – Bhavya Prakasha Nighantu, Guduchyadi varga, Shloka no. 186-187
Meaning - It mainly tells us about benefits of Shatavari. Shatavari is bitter, cold and heavy in taste and acts as a Rasayana (Rejuvinative). It helps to keep the body healthy, enhances the digestion power, increases memory power and promotes intelligence. It is very beneficial in inflammation, diarrhea and tumor. It also increases the production of milk in lactating mothers, beneficial for eyes and it also increase the sperm count.
2. Naari Kalyan Churna
This herbal remedy by Planet Ayurveda gives good results in complications associated with menopause. This is useful in anxiety, hot flashes, insomnia, weakness, and hot swings and also helps to fight against menopausal symptoms. It consist of various herbs which are as follows -
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi) – This is the main ingredient of Naari kalyan churna. This herb is very effective in providing relief against menopausal symptoms.
- Shatavari(Asparagus racemosus) – This herb is very helpful to maintain estrogen levels in the body, maintain menstrual cycle and helps to decrease menstrual pain.
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) – This helps to reduce stress associated with menopause.
- Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) – This herb is very effective to treat insomnia, anxiety and mood This also helps to increase the memory and concentration.
3. Pradarantak Churna
It mainly balances the three energies – Vata, Pitta and Kapha. This product is combination of various herbs like -
- Ashoka (Saraca indica) – It is helpful to fight against menstrual syndrome.
- Lodhra (Symplocus racemosa) – It is helpful in relieving menstrual pain.
- Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) – It is helpful in anxiety, stress and insomnia.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Natural Remedies for Henoch-Schonlein Purpura(HSP) - September 19, 2020
- Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, Symptoms, Diet and Treatment - September 15, 2020
- Natural treatment for Epilepsy - September 11, 2020
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Ewing’s Sarcoma - September 11, 2020
- Treatment of Gilbert’s Syndrome with Herbaeml Redies - September 10, 2020