Best Home Remedies to Reduce Increased Uric Acid Levels Naturally
What is Uric Acid?
It is a heterocyclic compound of carbon, hydrogen, nitrogen and oxygen. It is a normal component of urine. But its high concentration can lead to gout, kidney stones and many other medical condition like diabetes.
Normal Uric Acid Levels of Males and Females are:-
- Men- 3.4-7.0 mg/dl
- Women- 2.4-6.0 mg/dl
But these values may also vary accordingly. High levels of uric acid in blood also known as hyper uricemia. It can occur either due to decreased excretion from the body or due to increased production of uric acid in the blood. According to some studies, it is also believed that increased concentration of uric acid can lead to hypertension and other cardiovascular diseases.
What are the Reasons for Increased Levels of Uric Acid?
- Excess alcohol consumption
- Renal insufficiency
- Purine rich diet
- Underactive thyroid
- Metabolic or endocrine conditions like acidosis or diabetes
- Certain medications such as diuretics
- Certain cancers or chemotherapy agents.
- Fasting, exercising and crash dieting can also lead to temporary increased levels of uric acid.
How to Control Uric Acid Levels?
Now we are explaining best, effective and safe home remedies to reduce increased uric acid levels naturally.
1. Apple Cider Vinegar
- It’s cleansing and detoxifying properties helps in removal of waste products like uric acid from the body.
- Apple cider vinegar helps in restoring the alkaline acid balance in the body.
- Due to presence of malic acid, it helps in breaking down and elimination of uric acid.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of raw apple cider vinegar in a glass of water. Drink this solutions twice or thrice daily. Increase the amount of apple cider vinegar gradually for better results. But do not take it in excess.
2. Lemon Juice
- Lemon juice helps in making the body more acidic, as it gives alkaline effect and helps in neutralizing the uric acid.
- Vitamin C helps in reduction of uric acid levels.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of lemon into a glass of warm water. Have this drink on empty stomach every morning for few weeks.
- Vitamin C supplements can also be taken for the better results.
- Dark berries and cherries contain chemicals which helps in reduction of uric acid levels. Blue-purple coloured berries contains anthocyanins (flavonoids) which helps in reduction of uric acids.
- Add strawberries, tomatoes, bell peppers, blueberries, vitamin C and other antioxidant- rich vegetables and fruits to your diet to decrease the uric acid levels.
- Eat one cup of cherries daily for some weeks.
4. Baking Soda
- It is also called as bicarbonate of soda.
- It helps in reducing gout pain and beneficial in lowering uric acid levels.
- It helps in making urine acid more soluble and flushing out of the kidneys.
- It helps in maintaining the natural alkaline balance of the body.
- Add less than a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water. Have this drink thrice daily for atleast 2 weeks.
- If you are suffering from high blood pressure, then don’t take it. Reduce the quantity of baking soda if the age is above 60.
5. Olive Oil
- When processed or heated, vegetable oil turns into rancid fats. These rancid fats destroy vitamin E present in the body which helps in controlling uric acid levels.
- Instead of vegetable oil or butter, use cold pressed olive oil as it contains monounsaturated fats which when heated up remains stable.
- Drink plenty of water which helps in optimizing uric acid filtering. It helps in diluting the uric acid. It also helps in stimulating the kidneys as to flush out excess amounts of uric acid from the body. Drink a huge amount of water which will help in reduction of the risk of recurrent attacks of gout.
- Drink 8-10 glasses of water in the whole day.
- Add fruits which are rich in water, vegetables in your diet for good results.
7. A Low Purine Diet
- Purines are the compounds which are nitrogen containing. Purines are commonly found in the animal proteins. Purines break down into uric acid which results in increasing the levels of uric acid in the body. Mushrooms, asparagus, legumes, yeast and beans are high in purine. Beer is a purine rich.
8. Starchy Carbohydrates and High Fibre Foods
- Foods which are rich in fibre will helps in reducing levels of uric acid. Fibres absorbs them and then helps in eliminating them out of the body. Starchy carbohydrates contains small amount of purines which helps in lowering the uric acid levels.
- Include high fibre foods such as apples, oranges, pears, whole grains and strawberries in your daily diet. Rice, tapioca, quinoa, whole grain pasta, oats, bananas, potato are starchy carbohydrates.
- To prevent the build up of uric acid, you can also drink papaya tea.
9. Dairy Products
- To reduce plasma urate concentration, add dairy products and low fat milk in your diet. Add slim milk into your diet especially slim milk which contains orotic acid which helps in decreasing the re-absorption of uric acid and helps in flushing out through the kidneys.
- Have 1-4 cups of slim milk, low-fat yogurt and other dairy products daily for better results.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Pilonidal Sinus with Herbal Remedies - November 27, 2020
- Alternative Treatment of Dysphasia and Aphasia - November 26, 2020
- Diet & Lifestyle in winters as Per Ayurveda for “Vata Prakriti” People - November 25, 2020
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Desmoid Tumour - November 25, 2020
- Be Proactive! Lower Chances of Getting Depression - November 24, 2020