Ayurvedic Treatment of Scleroderma
Skin is one of the largest organs present as the outer part of our body and acts as a physical barrier whereas Immunity is the internal security guard. These both work together to protect us against harmful agents like chemicals and microbes. Immunity is one of the features which help the skin to protect from infection caused by pathogens. However, if the skin becomes infected in response the immunity helps which is produced by the Langerhans cells present in the inner layer of skin (Epidermis). But when the immunity starts to attack the skin instead of protecting it, this results in damaging of tissue. One of these auto-immune diseases is Scleroderma which we are going to discuss more in detail.
What is Scleroderma?
It is an auto-immune chronic disorder that leads to the fibrotic conditions of connective tissue. The connective tissue which provides support and frame to the skin becomes hard and tight. It occurs due to the scar formation in tissue and results in skin thickening, problems in the blood vessel, and inflammation.
As we have discussed that Scleroderma is caused in response to Immunity. The thing that is happening here is that the immune system of the skin starts to attack the connective tissue. In response, the blood vessels and inner tissue start to get damaged forming a scar and making excessive production of collagen.
It is a long-term disease that progresses over time and becomes worse. The changes can be noticed in muscles, blood skin, and even inner organs. There are two types of scleroderma called Localized and Systemic Sclerosis.
What are the Symptoms?
The symptoms of the disease vary depending on the type which includes
1. Localized Type
Which only affects the skin. It is divided into two forms called Morphea where the skin becomes hard and oval-shaped purple patches appear on the skin. Another one is Linear where the skin covering the arms, face, and legs becomes thick.
2. Systemic Type
It is divided into two types.A. Limited Scleroderma: This is also known as the CREST syndrome where its alphabet represents the symptoms
- C is for Calcinosis: Tiny bumps appear on the skin due to deposition of the Calcium and commonly seen on fingertips.
- R is for Raynauds Phenomenon: Where the fingertips become completely blue in response to mild cold. The cause behind it is the vasoconstriction of the blood vessels.
- E represents Esophagus: Which causes difficulty in swallowing and acid reflux.
- S stands for Sclerodactyly: The skin becomes hard and tight making it difficult for them to move to lead to restricted movement.
- T stands for Telangiectasia: – It refers to the dilated blood vessels in the skin.
- Lungs: Scarring of the tissue present in the lungs results in reduced function of the Lungs. This causes difficulty in breathing.
- Heart: Scleroderma causes the risk of developing congestive heart failure and inflammation of the membranous sac covering the heart.
- Kidney: The scarring of Kidney tissue results in high protein levels and increased blood pressure leading to the renal crisis.
Facial skin becomes tight making the mouth smaller and narrower which causes difficulty in chewing, brushing, and doing other daily things.
Men may also suffer from erectile dysfunction which is commonly noted in males who suffer from Scleroderma and Women may suffer from the constricted vaginal opening.
What Causes Scleroderma?
It is caused due to excessive production and collection of collagen in the tissue present in our body. Collagen is a type of fibrous protein that helps in making connective tissues. The exact cause for the abnormal production of collagen is not known but there are some triggering or risk factors that lead to Scleroderma
- The Problem in the Immune System: The immune system of the body starts to attack the connective tissue which is seen in 15 to 20 percent of cases. It is mostly seen in people who have auto-immune disease like lupus, arthritis, and Sjogren’s syndrome.
- Genetic Issue: – There is where the disease runs in the family and the patient inherits it from the family where a specific type of gene is affected.
- Environmental Problem: – Scleroderma can be triggered by a certain type of harmful chemicals, viruses, drugs, or medications. People who work at certain places where they are exposed to harmful chemicals are at greater risk.
What Type of Investigations Can be Done?
- Physical Examination: – Where the color, texture, and appearance of the skin are noted along with the medical history of the patient.
- Skin Biopsy: – The sample of the skin is taken to know the proper cause and confirm the diagnosis of the patient.
- Lab Test: – A blood test is done to found a particular type of antibody present in a patient with Scleroderma.
Treatment of Scleroderma
According to modern science, the treatment for Scleroderma is given on the basis of the symptoms, not as a whole. It includes drugs like antacid, antibiotics, etc which will suppress the symptoms giving relief for a shorter period of time. At last, they might perform surgery which may lead to other complications.
According to Ayurveda, Scleroderma is considered as Uttana Vatarakta which is caused due to violation of Vata and Rakta. The violation causes an imbalance in the functioning of immune system, brain and nerves. Ayurveda provides methods like Bahya primary chikitsa which is known as external treatment, Rakta Visravan karma (Bloodletting) along classical herbs like Parval pishti, Kaishore guggulu etc helps in treating the root cause of the disease.
Herbal Remedies Provided By Planet Ayurveda for Scleroderma
Planet Ayurveda is an illustrious and recognized organization offering herbal products worldwide that are prepared under the supervision of expert Ayurvedic doctors. All these herbal formulations are safe and free from any kind of preservative, additives, and chemicals. They act on the body and correct all the imbalance of Doshas without causing any adverse effects on the body. Planet Ayurveda provides Sclero Care Pack which includes medicine.
- Gotu Kola Capsules
- Sanjivani Vati
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Ashwagandha Capsules
- Gandhak Rasayan
- Sinhnaad Guggul
1. Gotu Kola Capsules
This is made from the herb named Centella Asiatica which is one of the most powerful herbs. This herb has an anti-inflammatory property that helps in reducing inflammation. Helps in improving blood circulation and a healthy metabolism. This herb is useful in supporting strength to the nervous system and reducing anxiety, depression, and stress. Gotu kola is very useful in auto-immune disease.
Dosage: – 2 capsules twice daily with warm water.
2. Sanjivani Vati
This herbal remedy is formulated with herbs like Harar (Terminalia chebula), Bahera (Terminali bellirica), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), etc. Which helps in removing toxins from the body? It helps in all types of auto-immune disorders especially excellent in Scleroderma. It is also very useful in Rheumatoid arthritis, Spondylitis, etc. The consumption of Sanjivani Vati helps in building immunity and making it stronger.
Dosage: – 2 tablets twice daily with warm water.
3. Boswellia Curcumin
It is made from two excellent herbs called Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa). Both of them are very useful in swelling and pain in joints especially noted in the morning. It is useful in promoting circulation in the joint and making it more flexible.
Dosage: – 2 capsules twice daily with warm water.
4. Ashwagandha Capsules
Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is the greatest herbal remedy and natural stress buster. It works as a nerve tonic improving both mental and physical stamina and also very useful in calming the muscles by giving them strength. Ashwagandha helps in the rejuvenation of the tissue, bone, and muscles.
Dosage: – 1 capsule twice daily with warm water.
5. Gandhak Rasayan
It is formed from purified sulfur. Sulfur has been found very useful in any kind of skin disorder and helps in rejuvenation. Sulfur removes all the skin ailments related to Scleroderma. Helps to reduce the excessive production of collagen and to make the skin more healthy and beautiful.
Dosage: – 2 tablets twice daily with warm water.
6. Sinhnaad Guggul
This formulation helps in pacifying mainly the vata dosha. Sinhnaad guggul is also known as Vatari guggul. This formulation is mainly used in joint pains, swelling, stiffness, inflammation and arthritis. It is also helpful in managing skin problems and abdominal disorders as well. It has purgative action also, which helps in the detoxification of the body and helps in providing relief from toxins. This herbal remedy helps in relieving pain because of guggul. It has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antipruritic, demulcent and mild laxative properties.
Dosage : 2 tablets twice daily with warm water.
Lifestyle Tips for Patient with Scleroderma
- Exercise daily and make your body flexible which will help in improving circulation and removing stiffness. Exercise will keep your skin and joint to be more flexible as well as healthy.
- Apply lotion and sunscreen on the daily basis especially for people who have dry skin. Try to avoid hot bath or applying strong soaps which could hold harmful chemicals which will only irritate the skin.
- Try not to Smoke as the nicotine present in the tobacco will contract the blood vessels making Reynaud’s disease worse. Smoking will cause other lung complications.
- Try to wear clothes that can keep you warm throughout the day because exposure to cold can cause so try to protect yourself.
- Avoid foods that can cause gas or heartburn and midnight meal should be avoided.
- Daily meditation will help to keep your mind healthy. It will also help you to calm your mind and getting rid of all kinds of anxiety and stress.
Scleroderma is a harmful auto-immune disorder which can harm your body and can cause more complication which can be life-threatening. Scleroderma can be managed through Ayurvedic treatment provided by Planet Ayurveda as mentioned above which will help you in treating the disease. None of the medicine will cause harm or side effect and is 100 percent safe to use.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Cushing Syndrome in Dogs- Treatment with Herbal Remedies - May 31, 2023
- Cheyletiellosis, Causes Symptoms, and Its Ayurvedic Treatment - May 30, 2023
- Skin Cancer in Dogs and Ayurvedic Treatment - May 29, 2023
- Kidney Diseases in Dogs and Their Treatment in Ayurveda - May 27, 2023
- Diseases of Horses Affecting the Hock Joint- Bog Spavin, Bone Spavin, and Curb - May 26, 2023