Ayurvedic Treatment For Orchitis With Herbal Remedies
The testical are a pair of organs which sit in the sac below penis. The epididymis is a coiled tube where sperms are moved from testicle and stored, Orchitis is the inflammation of the testicles caused due to virus or bacteria. Both testicles are affected but symptoms appear in one testes. Sometimes it is associated with the mumps virus. This condition rarely affects the fertility and causes shrinkage of the testicles. Sometimes orchitis may affect the epididymitis which further causes scrotal tenderness which disappears after several weeks. Other infections such as the prostate can further cause infection of orchitis. Now we are going to study in detail about its causes, signs, symptoms and many herbal medications in detail.
Orchitis is the inflammation of the testes of one or both testicals. It can spread through the bloodstream in the body which is the progression of epididymitis, an infection of the tube which carries semen out of testicles known as epididymo-orchitis. Orchitis is swelling which is a part of male reproductive system which makes sperm and a hormone known as testosterone. Both testicles are inside a sac called scrotum. Epididymis causes testicle pain, which is a tube which stores and carries sperm. Approximately 600,000 boys and men have epididymitis every year and six in 10 patients have epididymo-orchitis (inflammation of both testical and epididymus). It can occur due to sexually transmitted disease.
CAUSES OF ORCHITIS
- Bacterial infections (this infection is of urethra, bladder which spreads to epididymis) Bacteria which commonly cause E.coli, Staphylococcus.
- Urinary tract infection
- Urinary catheter
- Viral infection such as mumps causes salivary gland swell
- Sexually transismitted disease (Gonorrhea, Chlamydia) usually in age of 19-35 yrs.
- Non sexually transmitted disease can also cause orchitis who has improper vaccination or has any other infection.
- Other viral infection such as Chickenpox, hand foot mouth disease (Coxsackie virus)
- Prostate infection (prostatitis)
RISK FACTORS OF ORCHITIS
- Autoimmune disease
- Long term use of Foley catheter
- Multiple sex partners
- Bladder outlet obstruction such as BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia), urethral stricture
- Being older than 45 years
- Congenital urinary tract problem present at birth
- Not immunized against mumps
- Surgery which involves genitals, urinary tract
SYMPTOMS OF ORCHITIS
- Testicles appear tender, swollen
- Blood in semen
- High fever
- Pain from straining with bowel movement
- Pain during intercourse
- High fever
- Pain during urination
- Muscle pain
- Rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)
- Swollen lymph nodes
- Enlarged prostate
- Abnormal discharge
- Swollen lymph nodes in groin region
COMPLICATIONS OF ORCHITIS
- Testicular atrophy (It is the shrinking of testicles) – It can be caused by testicular cancer, orchitis, hormone imbalance, varicocele, testicular torsion.
- Scrotal abscess – It can be either superficial or intrascrotal. The infected tissue is filled with pus.
- Infertility – Orchitis can cause fertility or causes inadequate testosterone.
- Hydrocele – (fluid gets built up in the scrotum).
DIAGNOSIS FOR ORCHITIS
- Sti screen
- Urine test
- Rectal examination to check infection in prostate
- Blood tests for hiv and syphilis
TREATMENT FOR ORCHITIS
- For treating bacterial orchitis – Course of antibiotic is prescribed to ensure tenderness to disappear by resting, supporting scrotum by athletic wrap, applying ice packs, and painkillers to relieve discomfort
- For treating Viral orchitis – Non steroidal inflammatory drugs (Ibuprofen), Cold packs, Bed rest and elevating your scrotum.
- Home remedies – Rest in bed, lie down to elevate scrotum, avoid lifting heavy objects, cold packs to scrotum.
- Non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs (Nsaids) to relieve swelling and pain.
- Wear jockstrap to immobilize the scrotal area.
PREVENTION OF ORCHITIS
- Use condoms to lower the risk of STDs
- Get a prostate examined if you are over 50 years
- Get proper immunization against mumps
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT FOR ORCHITIS
Orchitis is known as kuranda rog in ayurveda. It is due to the vitiation of pitta dosha in the testicles of children. Kuranda is known to cause pediatric disease. As it is due to vridhi of pitta dosha as there is enlargement of scrotum by vitiated pitta. Kuranda is swelling of mushak (testes) as it takes place in testes so scrotum is also involved. Here blood and pitta dosha are associated in this as there is inflammation due to vitiated pitta dosha.
- Siraveda – Is through venesection the best time for kuranda roga, if the swelling is in the right testis the vein is cut above right side, if left testis is swell than vein above left vein is cut.
- Saindhavadi yoga – Rock salt is mixed with ghee orally and then applied on the swelling of the testis.
- Saindhavadi lepa – Rock salt is added to ghee and put in a water container when water gets hot ghee is mixed and spread over water and this hot ghee is applied on the testis.
HERBS USEFUL IN ORCHITIS
- Gokshura – It has many medicinal qualities known as (Tribulus terrestris) is used to relieve urinary genital system, Has targeted towards the building of body which enhances body composition. Gokshura has diuretic activity as it cleanses the urinary system and is useful in lithotripsy properties as it breaks down the stones. Gokshura increases libido in both men and women to promote sperm production and ovulation, treated in diabetes and used as anti obesity treatment. Has sheetal veerya and effect on tridosha is guru (heavy) to digest and has sweet taste.
- Curcumin – Curcumin is used to remove facial hair growth, treat diabetes and natural remedies for urinary tract infection, due to its tikta katu as it removes the blocks in blood vessels and makes circulation of blood and nutrients easy.
- Manjishtha – Is an effective herb to promote liver function, and it improves the digestion fire which makes digestion easy. Mahamanjistha balances the pitta dosha and has a blood purifier property. Useful in treatment of skin disorders such as eczema, dermatitis. It is hot in potency, useful in diabetes and urinary tract disorders and eye diseases.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR ORCHITIS BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda is a clinic which provides great treatment with many great results. The formulations provided by planet ayurveda are under great guidance of expert doctors, and these formulations are free from any preservatives, resins, colors, and other synthetic material. For orchitis, ayurveda provides many herbal remedies which provide great benefits for healthy living and relief from pain.
- GOKSHURADI GUGGUL
- SEPTRIN TABLET
- MAHAMANJISTHAGHAN VATI
- PUNARNAVA CAPSULES
- BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
1. Gokshuradi Guggul
Gokshuraadi guggul is combination of many herbs in the form of tablets which is formulated by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Black pepper (Piper nigrum), Pippali (Piper longum), Amla (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula) and many more. Gokshura is related with pitta and vata related problems of genital system, helps for elimination of toxins out of the body and supports the good health of the urinary system. It balances tridosha in the body, helps to revitalize the kidneys and helps to rejuvenate.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.
2. Septrin Tablets
Septrin is formulated in the form of tablets by planet ayurveda using many herbs such as Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Haldi (Curcuma longa), Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), Marich (Piper nigrum), Sonth (Zingiber Officinale) and many more. Septrin helps to maintain indigestion and stomach related disorders. Septrin is useful in upper respiratory infections and allergies and maintains the equilibrium of the stomach.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily.
3. Mahamanjisthaghan Vati
Mahamanjisthaghan vati is in the form of herbal tablets which is formulated by planet ayurveda using standardized extract of mahamanjistha kwath ghan (Rubia cordifolia). Mahamanjisthadi ghan vati helps to maintain healthy blood circulation and skin quality and tone. It has many therapeutic properties such as anticancer activity, anti diabetic anti platelet. Manjistha balances kapha dosha and pitta dosha, and has ushna veerya. Manjistha pacifies burning pain and reduces the chance of boils. Useful in gynecology disorders and improves skin complexion.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.
4. Punarnava Capsules
Punarnava are single herb capsules used which are formulated by planet ayurveda using single standardized extract of punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa). Punarnava is used as diuretic and has hepatoprotective, anti fibrinolytic activity. It rejuvenates the kidney cells and balances the body fluids and removes the toxins out of the body, reduces inflammation and provides relief from pain. Punarnava helps in obesity as it removes the extra fluid from the body and helps in reducing obesity. Punarnava is useful in many nervous disorders and has hypoglycemic properties as it controls glucose level and increases the insulin level.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
5. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia curcumin is poly herbal capsules formulated by planet ayurveda using Shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Curcumin (Curcuma longa) is effective medicine used to treat joint disorders as shallaki pacifies the vata dosha so known for its painkiller property. Regular consumption of boswellia curcumin removes toxins from the body and improves the flexibility of joints in chronic conditions.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
In this article we studied about orchitis (inflammation of testes) which is usaully caused by bacterial and viral infections (mumps), sexually transmitted disease. This condition causes infertility in males, enlargement of the prostate gland. Further orchitis causes blisters within the scrotum, shrinking of the affected testicle. In ayurveda it is due to imbalance of pitta dosha. Many herbal remedies are useful in orchitis which prevents any side effects and are useful for maintaining good health.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is Urticarial Vasculitis? – Causes, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Treatment - March 23, 2023
- Lower Back Pain & its Natural Management Ayurveda - March 16, 2023
- Herbal Remedies for Meralgia Paresthetica (Bernhardt-Roth Syndrome) - March 15, 2023
- Scotty Cramp Disease in Scottish Terriers - March 13, 2023
- Treatment of Granulomatous Meningoencephalitis (GME) in Dogs - February 18, 2023