Ayurvedic Treatment for Mitochondrial Dysfunction with Herbal Remedies
In this article our main topic of discussion will be a genetic disorder known as mitochondrial dysfunction disease. These kinds of disorders occur due to genetic mutation in the chromosomal structure during the embryonic stage of life. Heredity plays a major role in such ailments. Ayurveda focuses on going into the base level of ailment that means going into the root level of the pathology. So let’s see how ayurveda deals with such kinds of disorders.
Mitochondria are known as the power of the cell, as they play a major role in providing energy to the body. These are the membrane bound cell organelles present inside the cell. They provide energy to the body in the form of adenosine triphosphate (ATP) and supply it to carry out different kinds of bodily functions. Mitochondrial dysfunction disorders occur when mitochondria are not able to work properly as they should need to be. It occurs due to the presence of any pathological process in the body. Although most of the genes of the human body are carried on the nuclear chromosomes, a very small amount of them are found in cytoplasmic organelle called mitochondria. Each mitochondrion contains several copies of circular chromosomes. Mitochondrial inheritance passes through the maternal line, thus hereditary transfer of mitochondrial dysfunction disease is seen from the mother side.
Some common examples of mitochondrial dysfunction diseases are:
- Mitochondrial myopathy
- MELAS syndrome (Mitochondrial encephalopathy, lactic acidosis and stroke like episodes)
- Mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome
As per ayurveda these disorders are known as “anuvanshik vyadhi” (congenital disorders). Such kinds of disorders occur due to the presence of pathology in sperm and ovum. These kinds of morbidity also occur due to the unwholesome behavior of parents and involvement of past deeds (purva janma karma).
These are the main causes (nidan as per ayurveda) that results in formation of an ailment.
- Occurs due to presence of mutation that can be either acquired or inherited in mitochondrial DNA or in any components of mitochondria.
- Other common causes are:
- Drugs reactions
- Presence of infectious condition within the body.
- Environmental factors
- Presence of underlying associated ailments
- Alzheimer’s disease
- Muscular dystrophy
- Diabetes mellitus
- Cancerous growth in the body
- Presence of genetic abnormality in the nuclear DNA
According to Ayurveda
There is an involvement of imbalance between the tridosha (three principle energies of our body- vata, pitta and kapha). Other important causes of such disorders are:
- Presence of deformity in mother’s ovum and father’s sperm.
- Intake of unwholesome diet by a pregnant lady.
- Deformity in the beej bhaag (chromosomes) and beej bhag avyava (genes)
It includes the signs and symptoms. A symptom means the general complaints along with patients present in front of the physician. Signs: It means what a physician notices himself by observing the patient’s condition. In this particular disease there is a presence of following below mentioned clinical features:
- Muscle weakness
- Inability to perform daily tasks
- Muscle loss
- Weight loss
- Exercise intolerance
- Mental retardation
- Delayed developmental growth
- Weak eye muscles
- There will be a delay in normal developmental milestones.
- Excessive fatigue
- Small stature
- Intellectual disability
- Impairment in hearing process
It means how we can identify the disease. There are various methods:
- General physical examination of patients by using inspection, palpation, auscultation and percussion technique
- By proper history taking
- Biochemical tests of blood and urine
- Muscle biopsy – to examine mitochondria and other bodily enzymes level.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of the brain and spinal cord.
- Polymerase chain reaction test.
- Mutation testing.
According to ayurveda: The two most preferred diagnostic procedures used by a physician are as follow:
1. Trividh pariksha (Group of 3 diagnostic procedures)
- Darshan- Diagnosis is made by visual examination of the symptoms.
- Sparshan- Physician uses tactile examination to evaluate whether skin is cold/hot
- Prashan– Physicians ask direct questions from the patient, to evaluate the root cause of the disease i.e. history taking
2. Asthavidh pariksha (set of 8 examination procedure)
- Nadi pariksha – By palpating the pulse rate of the patient.
- Mutra pariksha – By examining the urine of the patient.
- Mal pariksha– By stool examination.
- Jivha pariksha– By examining the tongue whether coated or not.
- Shabad pariksha– By listening to the natural sound within the body like intestinal sound (peristalsis) sounds of moving body fluids.
- Sparsh pariksha– By observing the patient skin texture whether it is cool, wet or dry.
- Drik pariksha– When a physician inspects patient symptoms through his/her eyes.
- Akriti pariksha-When a physician evaluates the general appearance of a patient whether he/she looks dull, lethargic or fatigued etc.
As there is a presence of genetic factors in this disease the main line of treatment we use in such kind of disorder is supportive care and it includes:
- Use of natural supplements such as vitamins C, D and E.
- Intake of a healthy and nutritious diet.
- Use of gene therapy- mitochondrial replacement therapy (MRT) is generally used.
As per ayurveda such kinds of genetic disorders (anuvanshik) are generally difficult to cure or completely incurable. So we can just manage the further outgrowth of the ailment by using symptomatic treatment with herbal medications. Herbal medications of planet ayurveda are very efficacious in action.
Herbal Remedies Mitochondrial Dysfunctional by Planet Ayurveda
Planet ayurveda is a leading herbal manufacturing unit serving people worldwide with their holistic approach of healing. Their herbal products are made under the guidance of ayurveda experts and are very effective in maintaining a healthy and sound body as they are completely pure and organic in nature free from harmful chemicals and preservatives. They offer various herbal formulations that works very efficaciously in mitochondrial dysfunction disease, some of them are as follow:
1. Energo Plan Syrup
This herbal formulation contains herbs like jeevanti (Leptadenia reticulata), amalaki (Emblica officinalis), shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), gokshura (Tribulus terrestris), shigru (Moringa oleifera) etc. All the herbs present in this herbal syrup are from the “jeevaniya and breehmniya” group so they will help in increasing lifespan and provide strength to the patient body in mitochondrial dysfunction disease.
Dosage: 1-2 teaspoon two times in a day.
2. Neuro Plan Syrup
This herbal syrup is a joint combination of various medicinal herbs such as brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), mandukaparni (Centella asiatica), shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), bhojpatra (Betula utilis), marich (Piper nigrum), pippali (Piper longum) etc. All these herbs in this formulation helps in strengthening the nervous system as they are good nervine tonic so aid in complaints like convulsion, tremors of mitochondrial dysfunction disease patients.
Dosage: 1 tsp twice daily after meal.
3. Kumar Kalyan Ras
This herbal formulation is specially made to be used in children (kumar). It is joint combination of various herbs and mineral such as shuddha parad (purified mercury), loha bhasma (iron ash), abhrak bhasma (processed and purified mica), mukta bhasma (ash of pearl), rasa of ghritkumari (pure extract of aloe vera) etc. this joint combination is very effective in providing strength and stamina to the body, as the patient of mitochondrial dysfunction disease generally face the complaints of generalized body weakness.
Dosage: 1 twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Brahmi Chayawanprash
This herbal formulation is made up of various medicinal herbs such as brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), bala (Sida cordifolia), ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), bhumi amla (Phyllanthus niruri), shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus), jivanti (Leptadenia reticulata), chandan (Santalum album), pipali (Piper longum), kesar (Crocus sativus) etc. This herbal formulation is a powerful antioxidant that helps in reducing the level of harmful free radicals from the body. It also helps in boosting the functioning of the nervous system so it shows great results in people suffering from mitochondrial dysfunction disease.
Dosage: 2 teaspoons two times a day depending upon the patient’s condition.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
Thus now we can conclude that ayurveda has great results in preventing further adverse effects of mitochondrial dysfunction disease if used adequately on earliest as possible. If you are considering opting for ayurvedic treatment, consider planet ayurveda as your prime choice. Our herbal medications are completely herbal and organic. You can directly visit us at our clinic located at Mohali punjab or can send your query on our official email id- email@example.com
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment Of Interstitial Cystitis - August 26, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Cecal Volvulus - August 25, 2021
- Natural Remedies For PAD Disease In Ayurveda - August 19, 2021
- Ayurvedic Management for Mitral Valve Prolapse - August 18, 2021
- TOP 7 HOME REMEDIES FOR SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES - August 17, 2021