Ayurvedic Management of Vatarakta
- Vatarakta refers to “Gout” (joint inflammation caused by uric acid where crystals get deposited in the joint space).
- Vatarakta is made up of two words – Vata & Rakta.
- Vata- It is the king among doshas without which no disease may take place.
- Rakta- It is also a very important dhatu which gives nutrition to each and everybody tissues and maintain their normal functions by eliminating toxins through the natural outlet of the body.
- Excessive intake of salts or salty foods, sour foods, pungent foods, alkaline foods, oily foods, moist foods.
- Indigestion (ajeerna).
- Meat and its products.
- Foods prepared with a paste of sesame.
- Excessive intake of radish and beans.
- Excessive intake of sugarcane, curd, alcohol, wine, horse gram (kulatha), blackgram (Masha), flat beans.
- Divaswapna (sleeping during day time).
- Awakening during night time.
- Luxury lifestyle.
- Obese people.
- Excessive physical exercise and sexual activities.
- Riding on vehicles, elephant, horses, camel for a long time.
- Few medications.
Types of Vatarakta
- Vata Pradhana Vatarakta– when Vata is the predominant dosha in vatarakta then it produces the symptoms like pain (pricking pain), swelling (which is black and dry), twitching sensation and stiffness in the joints.
- Pitta Pradhana Vatarakta– when pitta is the predominant dosha in vatarakta then it produces the symptoms like a severe burning sensation, sweating, thirst, pain, tenderness, swelling and pus discharge will be predominantly found.
- Kapha Pradhana Vatarakta– when Kapha is the predominant dosha in vatarakta, then it produces the symptoms like numbness, moistness, heaviness, and coldness will prevail.
- Rakta Pradhana Vatarakta– when rakta is severely vitiated in vatarakta, then it produces symptoms like severe pain, swelling, the copper color of the skin and itching.
Vatarakta is also of 2 types, these types based on its location
1. Uttana VataraktaIn this type, the symptoms look like skin disease or kushta with skin lesions and muscle pain. Treatment of uttana vatarakta is- Lepa, Abhyanga, Parisheka, Avagahana, Upanaha.
2. Gambhira VataraktaIn this type, symptoms are more complicated & look like a joint pathology because the joint symptoms are more than the skin presentation. Treatment of gambhira vatarakta is- Snehana, Swedana, Virechana, Asthapana vasti, Anuvasana vasti.
How to Diagnose Vatarakta
- Blood test- uric acid normal range (females 2.4-6.0 mg/dL), (males 3.4-7.0 mg/dl).
- Joint fluid test.
- CT scan.
Ayurvedic Management of VataraktaAyurvedic Management of Vatarakta Planet Ayurveda recommends a pack for vatarakta (Gout) known as “Gout Care Pack”. The pack consists of herbal remedies which are natural formulations, free from chemicals, colors, fillers, and yeast, etc. Planet Ayurveda herbal remedies are 100 % natural, pure and vegetarian. They are safe to use as they are free from sides effects.
- Giloy capsules
- Kaishore Guggul
- Navkarshik Churna
- Punarnava capsules
Product Description and Dose
1. Giloy CapsulesGiloy capsules are prepared by using a standardized extract of giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) herb. Giloy herb treats pain & other associated symptoms of gout. It is also effective in fever associated with this disease. Dose: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
2. Kaishore GuggulKaishore guggul is the most effective herbal formulation for gout. Kaishore guggul is a Mixture of herbs like Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Black pepper (Piper nigrum), Long piper (Piper longum), Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Red physic nut(Baliosperum montanum) and Indian jalap(lopmoea turpethum). It treats inflammation & pain condition. In this tablet contains Triphala(Amalaki, Bibhitaki & Haritaki) that helps to remove toxins from the body. It helps to cure all metabolic disorders. It is helpful for removing the accumulated uric acid from the joints, which is indicated by redness and swelling. Dose: 2 tablets twice daily, after meals, with lukewarm water.
3. Navkarshik ChurnaNavkarshik churna gives effective result in treating gout. Navkarshik churna contains – Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Neem (Azadirachta indica), Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Kutki (Picrorrhiza kurroa), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) and Daruhaldi (Berberis aristata) they help to reduce pain and inflammation Navkarshik churna acts as anti-oxidants thus,removes excess of uric acid from the body. It also helps to purify the blood, corrects metabolism, helps in heat regulation and improves the immunity of the body. It also balances Vata dosha. Dose: 1 teaspoon twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
4. Punarnava CapsulesPunarnava capsule is the most effective remedy to reduce the uric acid level swelling and pain in the joints. Punarnava has anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidant and analgesic properties. It also removes toxins from the body. Dose: 1-2 capsules twice daily, after meals, with plain water.
Pathya Apathya For Vatarakta
1. Pathya Aahar-Vihar
- Wake up in the early morning and do exercise daily for about 30 minutes.
- Drink 8-10 glass of lukewarm water daily.
- Vegetables – bitter gourd, soup of karvellaka, ginger, methika, kushmandha, kheera, leafy vegetables like palak, etc. are beneficial in gout.
- Use cow milk, goat milk sheep milk).
- Choose fat free diet
2. Apathya Aahar-Vihar
- Avoid sleeping during day time.
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight.
- Reduce your weight if you are obese.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid excessive intake of- pungent, hot, heavy, salty and sour foods, kullatha, urad daal, peas, curd, sugarcane, radish, sesame oil, jackfruit, brinjal, kundaroo, etc
Yoga and ParnayamVatarakta can be cured with the help of correct diet and exercise like- Walking, Swimming, Yoga, etc.
Some yoga asana are
- Ardha Matsyendrasana.
- Uttana padasana.
- Pranayama: anulom- viloum, kapal bhati.
- Awake early morning and do these yoga asana everyday and lead a pain free life by your uric acid level well within the normal range.
The following two tabs change content below.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD-Ayurvedic Medicine) is an expert Ayurveda consultant in Chandigarh (India). He has vast experience of herbs and their applied uses. He has successfully treated numerous patients suffering from various ailments, throughout the world. He is CEO and Founder of Krishna Herbal Company and Planet Ayurveda in Chandigarh, India. He researched age old formulas from ancient Ayurvedic text books to restore health and save human beings from the worst side-effects of chemical-based treatments.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment Of Interstitial Cystitis - August 26, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Cecal Volvulus - August 25, 2021
- Natural Remedies For PAD Disease In Ayurveda - August 19, 2021
- Ayurvedic Management for Mitral Valve Prolapse - August 18, 2021
- TOP 7 HOME REMEDIES FOR SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES - August 17, 2021