Arachnoiditis, Symptoms, Causes and Ayurvedic Treatment
Some ailments require early interventions, likewise if not treated at initial state will progress into serious disorders one such ailment is arachnoiditis. It is a chronic neurological disorder that affects the central nervous system of our body. Ayurveda focuses on going to the root level of the cause and then follows “nidanparivarjan chikitsa” (avoiding the root cause of disease). So let’s discuss it in detail.
It is an inflammation of the arachnoid mater, a membrane of the brain that surrounds and protects the nerves of the central nervous system including the brain and spinal cord. Our brain has a protective covering of membranes known as “meninges”. They are three in number and envelop the brain and spinal cord. It includes- dura mater (outermost layer), arachnoid (middle one) and pia mater (innermost layer).
According to ayurveda it is considered to be a “tridoshaj vyadhi” (involvement of all three doshas of the body vata, pitta and kapha). But due to involvement of inflammatory conditions there is slight dominance of pitta dosha.
Importance of arachnoid mater
The cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is located in the subarachnoid space between the arachnoid mater and pia mater. Arachnoid mater is a fibrous portion and consists of two layers- endosteal layer that lies closest to the skull and second one is, inner meningeal layer that lies closer to the brain. This layer contains larger blood vessels that divide into the capillaries in the pia mater.
It provides cushions to the central nervous system.
It is a thin transparent membrane and has an outer layer of tightly packed cells of fats that forms the arachnoid barrier, it is a protective barrier that provides adherence from the harmful toxins to the brain.
These are the main causes (nidan as per ayurveda) that results in formation of an ailment.
The root cause is still not clear and it appears to have multiple causes
- Bacterial infection
- Viral infection
- Fungal infection
- Direct injury to the brain or to the spine.
- Compression of spinal nerves.
- As a complication from spinal surgery.
- Improper epidural steroid injection therapy such as prednisolone.
- Faulty administration of anesthetic drugs such as chloroprocaine.
- Neoplastic growth in the brain.
It includes the signs and symptoms. A symptom means the general complaints along with patients present in front of the physician. Signs: It means what a physician notices himself by observing the patient’s condition.
They are as follow
- Chronic pain in the head.
- Numbness in the body.
- Tingling sensation in different parts of the body.
- Referred pain in the lower back or in any other site.
- Difficulty in moving.
- Gait imbalance.
In this particular disease following below listed signs are noticed by a physician
- Rubor (means redness over the affected area)
- Calor (means heat, affected area appears hot due to presence of inflammation the temperature of that site got elevated)
- Dolor (presence of pain)
- Tumor (swelling or nodule formation)
- Functio laesa (loss of function of the diseased site)
- Detailed physical examination of the patient by using inspection, palpation, percussion and auscultation techniques.
- Laboratory findings: Complete blood count test: As it is an infectious condition there will be a rise in white blood cells count (WBC)
- X-ray of the skull
- MRI (magnetic resonance imaging)
- CT scan (computed tomography).
According to ayurveda – The two most preferred diagnostic procedures used by a physician are as follow
Trividh pariksha (Group of 3 diagnostic procedures)
- Darsha- Diagnosis is made by visual examination of the symptoms.
- Sparshan- Physician uses tactile examination to evaluate whether skin is cold/hot
- Prashan– Physicians ask direct questions from the patient, to evaluate the root cause of the disease i.e. history taking.
Asthavidh pariksha (set of 8 examination procedure)
- Nadi pariksha– By palpating the pulse rate of the patient.
- Mutra pariksha– By examining the urine of the patient.
- Mal pariksha– By stool examination.
- Jivha pariksha– By examining the tongue whether coated or not.
- Shabad pariksha– By listening to the natural sounds within the body like intestinal sound (peristalsis) sounds of moving body fluids.
- Sparsh pariksha– By observing the patient skin texture whether it is cool, wet or dry.
- Drik pariksha– When a physician inspects patient symptoms through his/her eyes.
- Akriti pariksha– When a physician evaluates the general appearance of a patient whether he/she looks dull, lethargic or fatigued etc.
- As it is a very difficult condition to cure and due to the involvement of the central nervous system it requires thorough special care. Main focus is on symptomatic relief.
- Use of analgesics medications- for alleviation of pain.
- Physical therapy– it means use of physiotherapy to aid in problem with bodily movements as patients of arachnoiditis usually suffer from this complaint.
- Psychotherapy– As arachnoiditis is an ailment of the central nervous system, patients usually suffer from other mental disorders such as depression, mood swings etc so it is very important to undergo proper counselling.
As per ayurveda – as this is a chronic neurological disorder, we can manage the further outgrowth of this when using the ideal treatment modality. It is as follow
(A). Sanshodhan Chikitsa (detoxification procedure)
- Deepan– Power of digestive fire (Agni) is increased by using deepan herbs like….
- Paachan– Digestive medicine is given by oral route to assimilate undigested food particles within the body.
- Sanehan– Smoothing the body dosha’s by using herbal ghrit/oil.
- Svedan– Semi-hot medicated kwath is sprayed on the patient’s body by a specially made swedan yantra (instrument).
- Vaman (emesis)- emetic medicines are given to the patient to take out the vitiated dosha of the body.
- Virechana (purgation) is the best technique to release out the pitta dosha from the body by anal route.
- Raktamokshan (bloodletting) -It is considered as “ardh chikitsa” (important as a whole treatment) by acharya shushruta because it helps in purifying the blood by removing harmful toxins from it.
After undergoing sanshodhan chikitsa, we move towards sanshamana chikitsa.
(B).Sanshaman Chikitsa: (by oral medication)
In this, we control the disease by subsiding dosha within the body itself. For this you can consider planet ayurveda herbal formulations.
The list of planet ayurveda herbal formulations is as follow
1. Yograj guggul
It is herbal painkillers that help in preventing muscle cramps and is very effective in joint disorders. This medicine rejuvenates and strengthens the skeletal and neuro-muscular system which will help in strengthening the whole nervous system. It is a potent herbal formulation of shuddha (Pure) guggul (commiphora mukul), amalaki (emblica officinalis), haritaki (terminalia chebula), and bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica) etc.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets two times a day with plain water.
2. Ekangvir ras
This herbomineral formulation contains amalaki (emblica officinalis) , haritaki (Terminalia chebula), vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), shudhha parad (purified mercury), shuddha gandhak (purified sulphur), kanta loha bhasma etc.It helps in stimulation of inactive or underactive cranial and spinal nerves as it balances out the vitiated vata dosha within the body.
Dosage: 1 tablet twice daily with plain water after a meal.
3. Ras rajeshwar ras
This herbomineral formulation contains swarna bhasma, rajata bhasma, loha bhasma, kakamachi rasa etc. This formulation works on the tridosha level and helps in balancing the elevated pitta level within the normal range due to the active principle present in these herbs and minerals so works very efficiently in arachnoiditis as well.
Dosage: 1-2 tablets twice daily with plain water after meal.
4. Ashwagandha capsule
It contains great antioxidant properties that boost up the immune system and develop strong immunity power to combat diseases like arachnoiditis very well. It contains pure and standardized extract of ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). This herb helps in providing strength to the body as patients of arachnoiditis usually suffer from generalized body weakness as well.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
5. Brahmi capsule
This herbal capsule contains pure and standardized extract of brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). This herb is considered as best ‘medhya herb’ means it helps in strengthening the nervous system and makes nerve cells strong and healthy.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water.
6. Boswellia curcumin
This herbal formulation has great anti inflammatory and antifungal properties. It is also very good for your skin functioning. It also keeps the functioning of the nervous system healthy & helps you to fight with inflammatory conditions present in arachnoiditis. It is a combination of shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and haridra (Curuma longa).
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030
Thus we can conclude that in an inflammatory condition such as arachnoiditis, with ayurvedic herbs such as curcumin capsules and other herbal formulations of planet ayurveda we can surely manage the further deterioration of patient health. If you are opting to go for ayurvedic treatment, planet ayurveda is a very good option. Their herbal medicines are very efficacious as they are made up of natural extract of herbs and are chemical free. You can directly visit us at our clinic in Mohali, Punjab. Feel free to approach us; we are here to serve mankind.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Lymphoma in Dogs- Treatment With Herbal Products - May 31, 2023
- Cushing Syndrome in Dogs- Treatment with Herbal Remedies - May 31, 2023
- Cheyletiellosis, Causes Symptoms, and Its Ayurvedic Treatment - May 30, 2023
- Skin Cancer in Dogs and Ayurvedic Treatment - May 29, 2023
- Kidney Diseases in Dogs and Their Treatment in Ayurveda - May 27, 2023