Treatment of Right Coronary Artery Blockage in Ayurveda
The heart is the muscular organ that is located just behind and slightly to the left side of our breast bone. The heart helps in pumping the blood throughout the body with the help of arteries and veins and this network is known as the cardiovascular system. The heart in total four chambers consisting of the right and left atrium along with the right and left ventricle. The right atrium helps in receiving blood from the veins and pumping it into the right ventricle which then pumps it into the lungs where it is loaded with oxygen. The heart is surrounded by coronary arteries which then leads into two branches: left coronary artery and the right coronary artery, its main function is to transport oxygenated blood to the heart muscles. In this article, we are going to discuss the right coronary artery and how a blockage can lead to a life-threatening situation along with its management in Ayurveda.
Let’s discuss a little about the Right coronary artery, it arises from the right cusp of the aortic valve. It then travels down the right coronary sulcus which moves towards the crux of the heart. It is responsible for supplying blood to the right side of the heart including the right atrium and right ventricle along with the inferior end and posterior third of the interventricular septum. When due to some reason the plaque-like material starts to build-up in this artery, it causes them to narrow and become stiff resulting in what is known as Right coronary artery (RCA) blockage.
Coronary artery disease starts from a very early age and as you get older the fat starts to build up resulting in minor or major damage to the arterial walls. As time passes various substances like cellular waste product, protein, and calcium, inflammatory cells start to stick with the walls of the artery song with fat forming the plaque. The main reason behind this plaque is the high levels of cholesterol in the body leading to inflammation of our arteries. The coronary artery is one of the main parts through which our heart receives nutrition, blood, and also oxygen. This blockage eventually results in a heart attack.
Signs and Symptoms
As the coronary artery narrows the supply of oxygen-rich blood to the heart decreases making it difficult for them to pump blood especially while running or performing the exercise. RCA blockage progresses slowly sometimes the patients are not presented with the disease. As the disease progress, the artery becomes more narrow resulting in signs and symptoms like:-
- Difficulty in breathing:- Due to RCA Blockage the heart is unable to pump enough blood throughout the body, resulting in shortness of breath or feeling of extreme fatigue.
- Angina:- Known as Chest pain where you might feel tight around your chest or feeling as if something is wrapped around the heart. The pain usually occurs on the left side of the chest and it can easily be triggered by some physical activity or mental stress. The pain goes within a few minutes after stopping the activity that is causing stress. In women, the pain is felt around the arm, neck, or back. Along with this, you might also see a Feeling of fullness, Weakness, Nausea, Palpitation, and Excessive sweating.
It Might Lead to Other Complications
- Heart attack:- If the cholesterol formed plaque ruptures it might form a blood clot, if the artery blocks completely it might result in a heart attack. The lack of blood flow to the heart might cause damage to the muscles of the heart.
- Heart failure:- If the supply of oxygen and nutrition to the heart has completely reduced because of the reduced flow of blood then the heart might get damaged resulting in a heart attack. The heart becomes weak and it is not able to pump the blood needed by the body.
- Arrhythmia:- RCA blockage leads to less supply of blood to the heart and causing damage to the tissue of the heart. This then results in a disturbance of electrical impulses of the heart and leading to abnormal heart rhythms.
Causes of RCA Blockage
The main cause behind coronary artery disease is damage to the inner lining of the artery. There are various factors that are responsible for the formation of plaque and this includes high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, and smoking. If the surface of plaque breaks, then the platelets start to clump together at the affected site which tries to repair the artery. This clumping of platelets can cause blockage of an artery resulting in a heart attack.
There are many other risk factors that can result in the coronary artery and this includes:-
- Age:- As you get older the narrowing of the coronary artery increases leading to damage of the heart.
- Sex:- Men are more at risk of developing coronary artery disease but after menopause women are more likely to suffer from coronary artery blockage.
- Family history:- If someone in your family is affected with coronary artery disease then it puts you at risk of developing RCA blockage.
- Smoking:- It is found that people who smoke every day in an excessive form are at higher risk of developing heart disease. It also increases the risk of coronary artery disease.
- High levels of Cholesterol in blood:- When the blood has high levels of cholesterol it increases the risk of forming atherosclerosis and plaque. The main cause for high cholesterol is a high level of lipoprotein cholesterol which is known as a bad type of cholesterol.
- Hypertension (High blood pressure):- Uncontrolled levels of blood pressure can cause thickening and hardening of arteries resulting in narrowing of channels present throughout the body.
- Diabetes:- People who suffer from diabetes are at greater risk of having coronary heart disease. People who especially have type 2 diabetes are more at risk.
- Obesity:- People with excessive fat are more at risk because in most people the levels of cholesterol are high resulting in coronary heart disease at later stages.
- Stressful life:- People who take mental stress are also at risk.
- Physically inactive:- The lack of exercise can also be associated with coronary heart disease.
- Unhealthy diet:- Consuming food that contains a high amount of fat, sugars, and salt is at greater risk of developing coronary artery disease.
- High triglycerides:- It is a type of lipid or fat present in the blood and the increased levels can result in disease related to coronary artery disease.
- High sensitivity to C-reactive protein:- This type of protein becomes higher than normal when there is some kind of inflammation present in the body. The high levels of C-reactive protein increase the risk of developing heart disease.
- Homocysteine:- It is an amino acid present in the body which is useful in making protein and helping in maintaining the tissue. The high levels of this amino acid increase the risk.
- Preeclampsia:- This condition is found in pregnant women, this causes the blood pressure to increase and also increases the levels of protein in the urine. This causes the risk of developing heart disease.
- Alcohol:- People who drink alcohol in an excessive amount are at greater risk as the muscle around the heart becomes damaged making the condition worse.
- Autoimmune disorder:- People who suffer from an autoimmune disease like lupus or rheumatoid arthritis cause their heart to become weak.
Diagnosis for RCA Blockage
It is important to know the medical and physical history of the patient as it will tell about the past illness and other tests which will help in diagnosis are:-
- Echocardiogram:- It will provide the images of the heart by using sound waves and it will help in knowing whether the heart is pumping properly or not.
- ECG (Electrocardiogram):- It helps in recording the electrical signals produced by the heart and providing evidence for other heart-related illnesses.
- Nuclear stress test:- It helps in knowing the flow of blood in the heart during the time of stress.
- Exercise stress test:- The signs and symptoms are noted while performing the exercise, the patient is told to run on the treadmill. After that through the help of an ECG, the functioning of the heart is recorded this is known as stress echo.
- Cardiac CT scan:- This helps in knowing the deposition of calcium present in the artery and the presence of narrowing in the artery.
- Angiogram and cardiac catheterization
Treatment of RCA Blockage
According to modern science, the treatment of RCA is given on the basis of symptoms like ranolazine for angina, nitroglycerine, angiotensin-converting enzyme, etc and it might give temporary relief without treating the disease as a whole. In dangerous cases, they might suggest angioplasty or stent placement and in some cases, it might result in complications.
According to Ayurveda, Coronary artery disease is considered as Hrdroga which is caused due to our lifestyle habits. Our heart is the place of rasavah strotas one of the rasa dosa which forms the gastric juices. The violation of rasa dhatu affects the heart leading to blockage of small channels present in the heart.
Heart is also the place of sadhak pitta which is one of the parts of Pitta Dosha and is directly linked to the process of emotions. It needs to balance in order to have better heart health. So, Ayurveda provides herbal medicine that will help in balancing the Dosha and enhancing the functioning of arteries present in our heart. Ayurveda herbs are one of the best and natural ways to heal your body.
Herbal Remedies for Right Coronary Artery Blockage
Planet Ayurveda provides their specially formulated pack called Heart Care Pack which is 100 percent natural and effective. All the herbal medicine includes in the pack are free from preservatives, chemicals, and additives. Each of the remedies is made under the supervision of an MD Ayurvedic Doctor and all of them are clinically tested. All of them are safe to use and free from side effects. This Pack includes:-
- Arjuna Capsules
- Arjun Tea
- Total Heart Support
- Gotu Kola Capsules
1. Arjuna Capsules
This is made from a single herb called Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) which is one of the effective herbs for the heart. It helps in removing the blockage from the coronary artery and balancing levels of cholesterol present in the blood. It gives strength to the muscles of the heart and decreases the levels of LDL, VLDL cholesterol levels. Arjuna has proven to be an excellent herb for clearing away the blockages and removing the cause for RCA blockage.
Dosage:- 1 Capsule twice daily with plain water, after meals.
2. Arjun Tea
This tea is the herbal combination of Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna) , Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Pipal Tvak (Ficus religiosa), Dalchini(Cinnamomum zeylanicum), and Choti elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum). All the herbs are rich in natural cardiac glycosides, anti-oxidant which work as a fighting agent. It helps in clearing the clogged artery present in our body. Consumption of Arjun tea helps in improving the functioning of the Cardiovascular artery. It also helps in improving the circulation of blood throughout the body.
Dosage:- 1 Cup daily.
3. Total Health Support
It is formulated with herbs called Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), etc. which is one of the best supplement for the heart. It works as a cardiac tonic making the heart more strong and is helpful in controlling the levels of cholesterol in the blood. It is very effective in ailments like angina, congestive heart failure, myocardial infarction which is related to RCA Blockage. It helps in reducing the feeling of fatigue and stress from the body.
Dosage:- 2 Capsules twice daily with plain water, after meals.
4. Gotu Kola Capsules
Purified extract of Gotukola is included in this product (Mandukparni). Gotukola is an adaptogen that can help with stress, anxiety, and tension. It also aids in the treatment of depression, which can result in a variety of mental and physical issues.Gotu kola is thought to regulate gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA) neurotransmitters (GABA), Which helps in releasing stress and anxiety.
Dosage:- 1 Capsule twice daily with plain water, after meals.
Preventive for People who suffer RCA Blockage
- It is very important to maintain a healthy lifestyle during this time and include these tips in your life:-
- Try to be physically active daily and do exercises like yoga which is more effective and safe.
- Quit smoking and alcohol
- Try to maintain a healthy weight.
- Try to do meditation every day in order to reduce stress.
- Eat foods that have low salts and sugar in them.
Hence, it is concluded through the article that RCA Blockage is a dangerous disease and it can even lead to death. Planet Ayurveda provides their Heart Care Pack which will help in healing the heart naturally because with a healthy heart the beat goes on.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment Of Interstitial Cystitis - August 26, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Cecal Volvulus - August 25, 2021
- Natural Remedies For PAD Disease In Ayurveda - August 19, 2021
- Ayurvedic Management for Mitral Valve Prolapse - August 18, 2021
- TOP 7 HOME REMEDIES FOR SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES - August 17, 2021