Role of Ayurveda in treating Ulcerative Colitis
What is Ulcerative Colitis?
As the name suggests, the term ‘Ulcerative’ means the formation of ulcers in the large intestine similar to the ulcer formation in the mouth and ‘Colitis’ means inflammation of the colon. It results from the prolonged inflammation and irritation of the membrane that lines the walls of the colon. The ulcers develop in the lining of the descending colon which is very painful.
What are the Symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis?
The signs and symptoms of Ulcerative Colitis may vary depending on the inflammation and where it occurs. Signs and symptoms may include:
- Frequent loose stools which may reach up to 20-30 times per day.
- Stools consisting of blood and mucus.
- Rectal pain
- Abdominal pain and cramping
- Anaemia due to blood loss
- Urgency to defecate
Ulcerative Colitis – According to Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda, Ulcerative Colitis can be co-related with pitta-atisara, ama atisara, sannipata and rakta-atisara (consisting of all the three doshas) and it is the worsened form of Sangrahani (IBS).
Role of Ayurveda in Treating Ulcerative Colitis
According to Ayurveda, the pathogenesis of ulcerative colitis commences with vitiation of Agni (digestive fire) which causes Ajeerna (indigestion).
- In ulcerative colitis, there is a vitiation of Pitta dosha and the principal location of Pachak Pitta is Grahani (abdomen).
- In ulcerative colitis, the absorption is affected and further when the patient of Pittajatisara takes ushan and tiktahara (hot and spicy) foods, then vitiated Pitta further vitiate the rakta dhatu which in turn results in bloody stools, frequent diarrhoea etc.
(Reference:AstangHridyamSutrasthanam, Chapter No. 12,Shlok No. 12)
Meaning:Pachak Pitta is located between large intestine and stomach and composed of five basic elements with the predominance of fire element and devoid of water element. It is called by the name Anala (fire) because of its function of Paka (digestion). It cooks the food and divides it into essence and waste, it bestows grace and influence on other types of pitta. Hence, among all the types of Pitta, Pachak Pitta is the dominant one.
What is the mode of action of treatment given in Ayurveda?
- Ulcerative Colitis has a very successful and satisfactory cure in Ayurveda.
- The treatment of Rakt-atisar in Ayurveda is done by the prescription of madhur, sheeta, digestive and stambhak drugs.
- The first line of treatment is the prescription of rakt-stambhan (blood coagulation) and purisha-sangrahana (anti-dirrahoeal drugs).
- In ulcerative colitis, stambhana chikitsa is advantageous because agni-vardhana (stimulation of the digestive fire) is not the goal.
- As Pitta-vardhak medicines are used to increase the agni, therefore they will deteriorate the bloody diarrhea.
- Stambhana chikitsa is done by the use of kashaya, sheeta and ruksha medications.
Home Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis
- Pomegranate juice: 50 ml fresh pomegranate juice should be consumed regularly as it is astringent in nature or make a fresh decoction from its peel and consume on daily basis.
- Shisham Leaves (Dalbergiasissoo):Due to the astringent and coolant properties of shisham leaves, they are widely used in the treatment of disorders that are caused due to animbalance of Pitta dosha such as ulcers, non-healing wounds etc. Chewing fresh shisham leaves help in the arresting bleeding associated with ulcerative colitis.
- Marigold flowers (Tageteserecta): Marigold flowers commonly known as Gendaphool are astringent in taste and has cold potency. These flowers have therapeutic properties as they reduce vitiated Pitta and Kapha dosha..
- Banana and Curd: Mix banana in fresh curd and consume it twice daily.
How Planet Ayurveda can help in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis?
Planet Ayurveda offers safe and effective remedies which do not have side effects as allopathic medicines such as steroids have. Ayurveda has herbs that can cure ulcers, harden the stools, stop bleeding, etc
Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack
1. Arjuna Capsules
Arjuna Capsules by Planet Ayurveda contains the standardized extract of the bark Terminalia arjuna. Due to its cold potency, it balances Pitta dosha and due to its kashaya rasa (astringent taste), it acts as Stambhana, therefore useful in bleeding associated with ulcerative colitis. This bark is useful in relieving ulcers and wounds due to Pitta and Kapha imbalance.
Dose: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after taking meals
2. Vatsakadi Churna
Vatsakadi Churna contains the dried extracts of the herbs which is a powerful Ayurvedic formulation for ulcerative colitis, diarrhea, flatulence, gas, indigestion etc. Planet Ayurveda’s Vatsakadi Churna has anti-biotic and anti-spasmodic properties and it is very effective in the treatment of ulcerative colitis and its complications as it works very well for the efficient functioning of the intestines
Ingredients used in the preparation of Vatsakadi Churna are:
|Sr. No.||Ingredient Name||Common Name||Parts Used||Quantity (100 gm)|
|2.||Aeglemarmelos||Bilva||Fruit pulp||15 gm|
|5.||Cyprus rotundus||Nagarmotha||Rhizome||10 gm|
|6.||Punicagranatum||Anar||Fruit Rind||10 gm|
Dose:1 teaspoonful powder twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Pitta Balance Capsules
As the name suggests, Pitta Balance Capsules of Planet Ayurveda help to balance Pitta dosha. It contains natural calcium compounds that are cooling in nature. The cooling properties of these compounds help in the treatment of ulcers, acidity, bring mental clarity and are also beneficial in frustration, anger, negative thoughts, aggression etc. These capsules are a rich source of calcium.
Ingredients used in Pitta Balance Capsules are:
|Sr. No.||Ingredient Name||Common Name||Quantity|
|1.||Coral Calcium||PravalPishti||125 mg|
|2.||Agate Calcium||AkikPishti||125 mg|
|3.||An Ayurvedic Calcium Compound||JawarMohraPishti||125 mg|
|4.||An Ayurvedic Calcium Compound||Kamdudha Ras||125 mg|
|5.||Pearl Calcium||MuktaPishti||50 mg|
|6.||Tinosporacordifolia extract||Giloy Satv||125 mg|
Dose: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after taking meals.
4. Kutazghan Vati
Kutazghan Vati is a classical Ayurvedic preparation and one of the important Ayurvedic medicines commonly used for the management of intestinal infections, diarrhoea, ulcerative colitis etc. This tablet reduces mucus and also checks bleeding. It is also useful in other conditions such as diarrhoea with fever, amoebiasis, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), dysentery, abdominal pain or cramps due to diarrhoea etc.
Dose: 2 tablets twice daily with plain water after taking meals.
Diet in Ulcerative Colitis
Diet: Besides home remedies and oral administration of medicines, diet plays a crucial role as little mistake in this part can irritate the colon mucosa and lead to bleeding per rectum
- Stay away from junk and packaged foods. Try to save yourselves from artificial foods as much as possible.
- Include fresh coconut water in your diet
- Refined flour and refined sugar should be strictly avoided.
- Avoid taking non-vegetarian food.
- Avoid milk and milk products however fresh curd can be taken.
- Foods that are manufactured in factories such as corn flakes, oats, cereals, biscuits, bread should be completely avoided. .
- Vegetables such as cauliflower, peas, and the mushroom should be avoided as they cause excessive gas formation. .
Thus, Ayurveda has a significant role in the treatment of ulcerative colitis as Ayurvedic treatment is effective in reducing the symptoms and disease relapse and also reduces the need of standard conventional drugs. Moreover, Ayurvedic treatment is safe and well-tolerated by the patients.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Natural Treatment of Hospital-acquired pneumonia (HAP) - August 19, 2019
- Amazing Health Benefits of Asafoetida (हींग के औषधीय फायदे) - August 16, 2019
- Use of Enbrel Injections Along with Ayurvedic Herbs for Psoriasis - August 14, 2019
- What You Need to Know About Sciatica? (साइटिका / गृध्रसी एक दर्दनाक बीमारी) - August 13, 2019
- Exceptionally Therapeutic Qualities of Giloy (गिलोय के अमृतमय गुण) - August 12, 2019