NATURAL AYURVEDIC REMEDIES FOR ODONTALGIA (TOOTHACHE)
Odontalgia is also referred to as toothache that means pain in the tooth. This condition is very common and affects all age groups. There are various Ayurvedic medicines or herbs which provide relief from this condition. It is caused by various factors like one or more teeth, infections, decay or trauma. Tooth is formed of 3 basic layers that is enamel which is a hard cap that protects the teeth. Second one is dentine which makes the mass of the tooth which lasts into root. The third one is pulp which includes nerves and blood vessels that permit it to find out the pressure during chewing. So today we will read about odontalgia and Ayurvedic management in brief in this article.
Odontalgia is also termed as dental pain. It is susceptible to any age group of people. It is marked by pain in the tooth that is caused by tooth decay, dental abscess, gum disease, tooth sensitivity, and fractured teeth. It is mild to severe pain. In severe pain it affects eating, sleep and daily activity. Depending on the pain severity, various odontological treatments are available for odontalgia such as dental filling, tooth extraction, root canal therapy, and periodontal therapy. Pain sometimes originates from other areas and radiates to the jaw, thus appearing to be tooth pain. The common areas include TMJ, ear and even sometimes heart.
- Gum ulcers
- Tooth decay
- Pulp calcification
- Food impaction
- Alveolar osteitis
- Dentin hypersensitivity
- Swollen gums
- Tooth eruption
- Exposed tooth root or pulpitis
- Excess intake of sugary product like coffee and tea
- Cracked tooth
- Poor oral or dental hygiene
- Periapical abscess
- Apical periodontitis
- Tooth breakage
- Temporomandibular joint disorder
- Dental injury
- Cold and hot sensitivity
- Constantly throbbing pain in tooth
- Tooth is painful to touch
- Jaw in the area of tooth is swollen and tender
- Pain may be mild to severe
- Swollen gum
- Inflamed and pain in tooth
- Headache due to sharp pain
- Pain during eating
- Bad breath
- Bad taste
- Ear pain
- Dental injury
- Poor oral hygiene
- Hormone adjustments
- Dental plaque and tartar accumulation
- Sugary diet and acidic diet
- Hormone adjustments
- Any associated medical condition
- Dental history
- Physical examination
- Dental X-rays
- Pulp sensitivity test
- Dental filling
- Tooth extraction
- Dental restoration
- Root canal therapy (RCT)
- Drainage of pus if present
- Rinse with warm, salt water
- Proper dental hygiene to dislodge any food particles trapped between the teeth.
In Ayurveda, we can correlate Odontalgia with Dantha shoola which means pain in the teeth. It is caused by vata, pitta and kapha dosha. Vata is the main factor for causing pain. Due to etiological factors like consuming sour, cold, rough hard items, vata is unbalanced and seated across gums and vitiates the other doshas (Kapha and pitta) and develop the symptoms. It is also caused by khali vardhana (Wisdom teeth), danta sharkara (Tartar), krimi danta (Dental caries), dantan harsh (Tooth sensitivity), danta pupputaka (Gumboil), dantaveshta (Pyorrhoea) and sapphira (Gingivitis).
Natural Ayurvedic remedies for odontalgia
- Hingu (Ferula asafoetida), katphala (Box myrtle), sarjikakshara (Sodium bicarbonate), kusta (Saussurea lappa), vidangan (Embelia ribes), application or pratisaran.
- Hingwadi taila gandoosha (Oil pulling).
- Eranda (Ricinus communis), bruhati dwaya (Solanum indicum), mundi (Sphaeranthus indicus), siddha taila gandoosha (Oil pulling).
- Kantakari (Solanum xanthocarpum) beeja dhoopana (Fumigation).
- Clove oil application.
- Peppermint oil application
- Tea tree oil application
- If pain is not under control and the tooth is moving with pus discharge, tooth extraction has to be done and then following medication should be given.
Yastimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra)+taila has the site.
Vidari (Pueraria tuberosa), yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), shringataka (Trapa bispinosa), kasheru (Scirpus grossus), and ksheera (Milk) siddha taila nasya (Nasal therapy).
- Salt water rinse:- Take a lukewarm water in a glass and mix half teaspoon of salt and hold it for 25 to 30 seconds and spit it out. It prevents infection and reduces pain.
- Garlic:- It contains antimicrobial properties that reduce pain and infection.
- Turmeric:- It has analgesic and anti inflammatory properties. Form a paste of turmeric with mustard oil or water and apply it on the affected area to minimize inflammation and pain.
- Guava leaves:- It contains antimicrobial and anti inflammatory properties. Boil guava leaves in water and strain it and then rinse the mouth properly. It provides good oral hygiene and relief from pain.
Herbal remedies for Odontalgia by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is a huge manufacturing unit of various herbal medicines for several types of diseases. The company properly follows all the criteria given in Ayurvedic Samhita to prepare medicines. All the medicines are GMP certified and have good quality because they contain high efficacy and possess herbs. All the medicines are pure, natural and are free from harmful chemicals, preservatives, yeast or additives. They all are safe to consume with no side effects. All medications are very effective in the human body. Planet Ayurveda provide herbal remedies named Gum care pack for Odontalgia which are given below:-
- Gum care powder
- Coral calcium complex
- Arjun saar
Gum Care PowderIt is a herbal powder made up of sunthi (Zingiber officinale), haritaki (Terminalia chebula), marich (Piper nigrum), saftika (Alum), etc. It is specifically used for tooth and gum diseases like bleeding gums, inflamed gums, pyorrhea, bad breath and gingivitis. It is bitter, pungent, sour and sweet in taste and hot, dry and light in effect. It pacifies vata, pitta and kapha dosha. It contains minerals, protein, fibre and carbohydrates. Rich in vitamin B-complex it contains traces of calcium, iron and phosphorus. It has extraordinary healing properties. It is a carminative, aromatic, diuretic, anticoagulant, laxative and digestive in nature. It excites salivary and sweat glands besides killing intestinal worms and propelling downward movement of abdominal wind. It stimulates liver function, kills intestinal worms, corrects metabolism and has a tonic effect on all body parts. It is a blood purifier, anti-colic, cardiac stimulant and anti-rheumatic properties. It is used in various gum diseases and reduces inflammation.
Dose:-Massage your teeth and gums gently with 3-6 gm powder. Rinse the mouth with lukewarm water after 2-3 minutes.
Coral Calcium ComplexIt is a poly herbal capsule made from praval pishti (Coral), akik pishti (Agate), mukta pishti (Pearl), Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), etc. It contains fatty acids, calcium carbonate, alkaloids, glucosides, and volatile oil. It is bitter and astringent in taste and heavy, unctuous and cold in effect. It pacifies all the three doshas. It is also an immunomodulator, antioxidant, a rejuvenator and a restorative tonic. It is used in fever, stomach pain, arthritis, gout, urinary diseases and dyspepsia. It is very useful in tooth problems and prevents cavities.
Dose:-1 capsule twice daily with warm water after meals.
Arjun SaarIt is a herbal juice made from arjun (Terminalia arjuna) and amla (Emblica officinalis). It is rich in vitamin C, it raises immunity and helps in fight day to day wear and tear of the body. It contains lots of fiber, iron, carotene, phosphorus, calcium and also vitamin B complex. It is sweet, astringent, bitter and pungent in taste. It is dry, light and cold in effect. It balances all the three doshas- Vata, Pitta and Kapha dosha. It acts as an antipyretic, laxative, diuretic, antioxidant, antacid and boosts all physiological functions of the body. It is used in gum diseases, dental caries, pain in tooth, leucorrhea, eye problem, jaundice, obesity, hyperglycemia, hypertension, cough, edema, asthma, and general emaciation. It is a wound healer, antibacterial and antifungal. It helps bones to regain strength after fractures. It stops the bleeding and helps in collagen synthesis and maintains healthy teeth and gums.
Dose:-Rinse the mouth after 2-3 minutes of the massage with Gum care powder.
In this article we read about odontalgia which is a tooth pain. In Ayurveda, we correlate this condition with dantha shoola in which all the three doshas get vitiated. In Ayurveda, there are various methods to tackle this condition. Herbs which are beneficial in this condition are clove, garlic, sunthi (Zingiber officinalis), turmeric, pippermint, guava leaves, yashtimadhu, hing, etc because they contain both antiinflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Planet Ayurveda also provides herbal remedies for this condition such as gum care powder, arjun saar, and coral calcium complex. Other procedures like oil pulling, massage, paste application, lifestyle and dietary changes are very useful in this condition.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Treatment of Sarcoidosis in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - November 20, 2023
- Vibhitaki/Baheda (Terminalia bellirica)- Benefits, Medicinal Uses, Dosage & More - November 18, 2023
- Chylous Ascites Causes Symptoms and Treatment in Ayurveda - October 4, 2023
- Treatment Of Schmidt’s Syndrome in Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - October 3, 2023
- Treatment Of Epidermolysis Bullosa In Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - September 30, 2023