How to Treat Acoustic Neuroma with Herbal Remedies?
What Is Acoustic Neuroma?
- Acoustic Neuroma is also called as Vestibular Schwannoma or Neurilemmoma or simply can be called an Auditory nerve tumor. An acoustic neuroma is a non-cancerous or benign and slow-growing tumor that affects the nerves that are running from the inner ear to the brain.
- It affects the 8th cranial nerve also called a Vestibulocochlear nerve which connects the inner ear to the brain. Vestibulocochlear nerve has two parts; one part is involved in the transmission of sound and the other part helps in transferring balanced information from the inner ear to the brain.
- Acoustic Neuroma is also called as Vestibular Schwannoma or Neurilemmoma or simply can be called an Auditory nerve tumor.
- A layer of cells called Schwann cells, when they start to multiply too quickly, wrap around the Eighth cranial nerve then Schwannoma occurs.
- Acoustic neuroma arises from the overproduction of the Schwann cells- which normally wrap around the nerve fibers which support and insulate nerves. The growth of the tumor is very gradual and it develops slowly over the years, but symptoms can appear quickly. Over the course of years, the tumor can grow larger and can press on nearby cranial nerves which control facial muscle expression and sensation.
Concept of Cancer in Ayurveda
According to Ayurveda cancer is known as Arbuda. Arbuda is caused by Tridoshas with a dominance of Vata dosha. Vata dosha is accountable for cell division and aggravation of Vata dosha and diminished Kapha doshas or both the doshas interconnected with one another may result in proliferation and multiplication of cells with the influence of Pitta dosha.
Pathogenesis of Karna Arbuda
Aggravation of Vata dosha and suppression of Kapha dosha or even both the doshas interacting with one another may result in the proliferation of cells. However, the Ekadesavriddhi (growth at a specific part) in the Karna is a part of abnormal cell division resulting in tumors.
Acharya Susruta has explained about six stages in the pathogenesis of all diseases. They are,
- Sanchaya, the early stages of localized cancerous changes.
- Prakopa is the conversion of primary growths into metastatic tumors;
- Prasara is metastasis;
- Sthana Samsraya, is metastasis and tumor occupy space after metastatis.
- Vyakti is the stage where clinical signs and symptoms appear.
- Bheda is the stage where differentiation of growth is diagnosed on the basis of histopathology.
Acoustic Neuroma Vis A Vis Karna Arbuda
It can be correlated in Ayurveda to the disease called as Karna Arbuda. It happens due to the impairment in the functions of Vatha and Kapha dosha which leads to a growth of an abnormal tissue which is structurally and functionally of no use to the body. Thus it creates unrest in the body and forms an outgrowth.
It is classified in Ayurveda as,
- SUDAMA (Benign): One which can be treated and managed easily.
- DURDAMA (Malignant): One which is difficult to treat and manage.
It has been categorized in accordance with Dhatu and Dosha into 7 types,
- Vataja karnaarbuda
- Piitaja karnaarbuda
- Kaphaja karnaarbuda
- Raktaja karnaarbuda
- Mamsaja karnaarbuda
- Medoja karnaarbuda
- Siraja karnaarbuda
Symptoms According to Charaka
Charaka has described some symptoms for the disease Karna Arbuda such as,
- Karna peeda (Pain in the ear)
- Karna Mala shosha (Drying of ear wax)
- Sharavana Dosha ( loss of hearing)
- Karna Shotha ( Swelling over the ear)
- Karna Avarodha
- Madhya karna shotha ( Swelling within the ear)
- Ardita (Facial paralysis which causes numbness and tingling sensation)
- Baadhirya Roga ( Can lead to deafness)
- Teevra mastishka shotha ( In severity tumor can grow over the head )
- Lasika granthi shotha ( Lymphadenopathy)
Symptoms of Acoustic Neuroma
Symptoms of Acoustic neuroma develop slowly over the years and they are often subtle. They usually appear from the tumor’s impact on the hearing and balance nerves of the body. Pressure from the tumor on nearby nerves controlling facial muscles and sensation, nearby blood vessels, or brain structures may also cause problems.
Common Signs and Symptoms of Acoustic Neuroma
- Gradual hearing loss in the affected ear.
- Tinnitus, that is, Ringing sound in the ear
- Pain in the ear
- Difficulty in body balance, unsteadiness
- Loss of sensation, sometimes affecting the one side of face and mouth
- Numbness in the face and tingling sometimes (On & Off)
- Loss of sensation of taste on the back half of the tongue
- Difficulty in swallowing and hoarseness
- Headaches, vomiting and altered consciousness and sensorium may occur when a large tumors puts pressure on the brain.
Causes of Acoustic Neuroma
What causes Schwann cells to multiply too quickly and leads to Acoustic Neuroma is still unidentifiable, it remains idiopathic. But there are some risk factors which can be taken into consideration,
- AGE: It usually occurs between the ages of 30 to 60 years.
- FAMILY HISTORY: Neurofibromatosis can run in families but these accounts to only 5 % of cases.
- RADIATION EXPOSURE: Significant exposure to radiation to the head and neck during childhood may increase the risk of developing it later in life.
- Genetic: Sometimes a person may develop Neurofibromatosis type2 that might cause Acoustic Neuroma to develop on both sides of the head, and this can be a usually genetic or hereditary condition.
The cause of acoustic neuromas appears to be a flaw in a gene on chromosome 22. Normally, this gene fabricates tumor suppressor protein that helps check the growth of Schwann cells covering the nerves.
- Blood Investigation
- MRI scans of the head
- CT scan of the head and brain
Several complications can arise because of Acoustic neuroma, which includes
- Hearing loss
- Loss of balance
- Facial numbness
- Facial weakness
- Taste disturbance and mouth dryness
- Persistent headache
- Infection of the Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) called Meningitis
- Ringing in the ear
- Stroke or brain bleeding
Herbal Remedies for Acoustic Neuroma by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides excellent and effective herbal remedies for the condition of Acoustic neuromas such as Sarivadi Vati, Boswellia curcumin, Manjistha capsules, Brahmi capsules, Bilavadi oil and Kanchnaar guggul. These herbal remedies are prepared using the best quality herbs and these herbal remedies are prepared according to Ayurveda principle. All these herbal remedies from Planet Ayurveda are 100% pure, natural and vegetarian. These are free from chemicals, additives, and preservatives. These herbal remedies are safe to use as these are free from side effects.
- Sarivadi Vati
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Manjistha Capsules
- Brahmi Capsules
- Bilwadi Oil
- Kanchnaar Guggul
1. Sarivadi Vati
Sarivadi Vati is an amazing combination of natural herbs which are mainly used to manage various health conditions. Primarily this medicine is used to manage hearing problems such as tinnitus, ear infection etc. Anti-microbial action of this medicine helps to fight against bacterial infections in the ear. Sarivadi Vati is very beneficial in managing the symptoms such as fainting and temporary confusion which arises due to neuroma, also nourishing the Vestibulocochlear nerve.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice with plain water daily after meals.
2. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia Curcumin capsules made by Planet Ayurveda are one of the most effective combinations of anti-inflammatory herbs. It’s also very effective in the treatment of Cancers and brain tumor. This combination is very effective in all sort of cancers as Boswellic acid and curcuminoids are active ingredients and are effective in
- Inhibit leukotriene biosynthesis
- Inhibit 5-lipoxygenase
- Inhibit topoisomerase I
- Inhibit topoisomerase II alpha
- Induce apoptosis in Glioma cells
- Inhibit NF-Kappa B
Constituent compounds of Boswellia are studied to be directly cytotoxic to brain tumor cells which help in killing and inducing apoptosis to the cancer cells.
Dosage: 1 twice daily with plain water after meals
3. Manjistha Capsules
The manjistha capsules are effective medicine to be used in the treatment of Acoustic neuroma. This capsule contains a pure herb extract of manjistha. This herb helps balance impaired Kapha and pitta dosha in the human body and also helps in detoxification of the blood and eliminates toxins from the body. It has anti-inflammatory property which helps in reducing inflammation and swelling.
Dosage: 1-2 Capsules twice daily, with plain water, after meals
4. Brahmi Capsule
Planet Ayurveda offers Brahmi capsules that are used in the treatment of Acoustic neuroma. It’s a purely herbal product containing Bacopa Monnier extract. It acts as the best nervine and general tonic. It is used in the treatment of many ailments such as vertigo, anxiety, stress, blood pressure and it’s a very potent nervous tonic and anti-anxiety agent. It nourishes the neurons which in turn help in strengthening the nerve and its supply.
Dosage: 1-2 Capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
5. Kanchnaar Guggul
Kanchnaar guggul is an ayurvedic formulation offered by Planet Ayurveda. This ayurvedic preparation is very effective to treat glandular swelling, polyps, lymph node swellings and other abnormal growths in the body. It supports the proper function of lymphatic systems and helping eliminate toxins from the body. It’s very beneficial in the treatment of tumors, cysts, and cancers. It helps in the management of Acoustic neuroma.
Dosage: 2 twice daily with plain water after meals
6. Bilwadi oil
The bilwadi oil is an Ayurvedic formulation used to put in the ear as drops. This oil is considered one of the best medications for the Auditory system It is an Ayurvedic herbal oil which is used to treat various ear problems such as pain in the ear, constant ringing, buzzing or whistling in the ear, loss of hearing, etc. This oil has antimicrobial, antiseptic and astringent properties that strengthen the auditory nerves when putting into ears as karna purana. Use of this oil as ear drop helps in deafness, difficulty in hearing, ear discharge and various ear infections.
Dosage: 2 drops in both ears
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or Call at 0172-521-4030 (India), +91-172-521-4030 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604.
- Nasya: With using ayurvedic formulations such as Anu taila or Shadbindu taila, one can instill few drops into each nostril. It is told NAASAHI SHIRASO DWARAM meaning nose is the pathway to the brain (head).
- Shirobasti: The medicated oils are kept over the head in a said quantity for the duration of time. The shirobasti greatly helps in reducing anxiety and stress. It helps in reducing out the doshas from the Shirah region.
- Karna Purana: The warm medicated oils are put into the ear which strengthens the auditory canal and helps provide immunity to nerves.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is The Best Treatment for Sarcoidosis? - July 9, 2021
- Herbal Remedies for Deviated Nasal Septum - July 5, 2021
- How to Treat Seborrheic keratosis in Ayurveda? - July 2, 2021
- Arachnoiditis, Symptoms, Causes and Ayurvedic Treatment - June 24, 2021
- Transverse Myelitis Treatment in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - June 21, 2021