How is Ayurveda Combating the Increasing Problem of Ulcerative Colitis?
In Ayurveda our Acharya considers that the health of the person depends on the digestive system as it is the centre of good health. Our food habit defines our health. Ayurveda teaches us how to enhance or how to protect our digestive fire in a proper way as Agni is the key to life. As said by our Acharya’s, our digestive system depends on digestive fire. When we offer food to our gut, digestive fire digests this food and provides nourishment to the body and brain. In Sanskrit Agni means fire and this Agni describes all metabolic functions in our body.
In this article we will discuss the disease caused by low digestive fire that is Ulcerative colitis, its symptoms, cause and also its Herbal management in detail.
Ulcerative colitis is an autoimmune disorder. This is an inflammatory condition which causes irritation, inflammation and ulcers in the lining of large intestines. It is a type of inflammatory bowel disease. It affects the innermost lining of the large intestine and rectum. This can be a debilitating condition and sometimes leads to life-threatening complications. Your immune system attacks your own intestines and causes ulcers in the lining of the intestine. Basically, the cause of this disease is unknown and there is no cure for this condition. Types of ulcerative colitis depend on the location of ulcerative colitis. Types of ulcerative colitis are:
- Proctosigmoiditis: It is also known as the sigmoid colon. It occurs in the lower end of the colon.
- Ulcerative Proctitis: Rectal bleeding is the main symptom of this disease. It occurs in the colon part of the rectum.
- Pancolitis: It causes pain, fatigue, belly cramps. It affects the entire part of the colon.
- Left side colitis: It causes belly cramps, weight loss, and heavy diarrhea. Inflammation occurs on the left side of your colon.
- Acute severe ulcerative colitis: It causes heavy diarrhea, bleeding, and severe pain. It also affects the whole part of the colon but it is very rare.
One of the major symptoms of ulcerative colitis is Diarrhea. Some common other symptoms of Ulcerative colitis are:
- Blood in stools
- Pain in the abdomen
- Loss of weight
- Rectal pain and bleeding
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling and pain in joints
- Pain in eyes
- Various skin problems such as Erythema nodosum, psoriasis, vitiligo, etc.
There is no specific cause of Ulcerative colitis. One most probable cause of Ulcerative colitis is Immune system malfunction.
Hereditary conditions are also a major cause of Ulcerative colitis. It also may be caused due to family history. Ulcerative colitis mainly begins from the age of 15. Various complications of ulcerative colitis are:
- Inflammation (this can influence your skin, eyes or joints)
- Bleeding (this can lead to anemia)
- Colon cancer (Ulcerative colitis for a long time may increase the risk of colon cancer).
- Liver disease (Inflammation in liver results in several liver diseases)
- Osteoporosis (Due to overconsumption of corticosteroids)
- Fulminant colitis (Due to severe ulcerative colitis)
According to Ayurveda, Various factors that are responsible for the unbalancing of Pitta Dosha leads to Ulcerative Colitis (Pittaja grahani).
According to Acharya Charka, several factors that affect the digestive fire (Jatharagni) can cause the various kinds of disease of gastrointestinal system and digestive tract. For example: – Diarrhea (Atisara), Dysentery (Pravahika) etc.
Herbal Medicines Provided By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda provides safe and natural herbal medications such as “Ulcerative Colitis Care Pack” in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. Planet Ayurveda products are effective, safe, and vegetarian formulations. These products are also free from preservatives, chemicals, colors, binders, etc.
Herbal drugs proposed by our experts to manage Ulcerative colitis:
- Vatsakadi Churna
- Arjuna Capsule
- Kutajghan Vati
- Pitta Balance
Full description of herbal drugs proposed by our experts
1. Vatsakadi Churna
This herbal powder is formulated with the help of several ingredients such as, Kutaz (Holarrhena antidyssentrica), Saunf (Foeniculum vulgare), Nagarmotha (Cyperus rotundus), Bilva (Aegle marmelos), and Jaiphal (Myristica fragrans) etc. It helps in the treatment of stomach muscle spasm caused by various conditions that affect the gastrointestinal system i.e. ulcerative colitis etc. This powder is also anti-pyretic in nature.
Dosage: 1 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water after meal or By boiling 1 teaspoon in 400 ml water, after boiling when 50 ml solution is remaining, filter it and drink the filtered water. Do it twice daily. Prepare fresh every time.
2. Arjuna Capsule
These capsules are formulated with the help of extract of Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna). It is beneficial for the balancing of Tridosha i.e. Vata, Pitta and Kapha. Due to its Anti inflammatory and anti allergic properties it is used to manage the pains and burning sensation of the body. So, it is used in the management of Ulcerative colitis. It also aids in coping up the blood loss occurring in UC.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
3. Kutajghan Vati
The major herbal ingredient which is used in the formation of Kutaz ghan vati is Kutaja (Holarrhena antidysenterica). Its scientific name specifies Kutaja having anti dysenteric properties. It is also used in the treatment of severe diarrheas, Irritable Bowel syndrome etc. It is beneficial in the management of Ulcerative colitis.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
4. Pitta Balance
Name specifies that it is used to maintain the balance of Pitta Dosha. It is formulated with the help of extract of stem of Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) and various other calcium compounds such as Akik pishti (Agetate Calcium), Praval pishti (Coral Calcium), Mukta pishti (Pearl Calcium) etc. These capsules have digestive and anti inflammatory properties that prop up the digestion and prevent ulceration. These capsules help in the management of several types of ulcers like ulcerative colitis, mother ulcers, peptic ulcers etc.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meal.
At the end of this article we can see that there is no definite treatment of ulcerative colitis in modern medicine science. In Ayurveda, ulcerative colitis is treated with the help of several herbs. These herbal products have very less or no adverse effects. These Ayurvedic products are used to treat the main root cause of the disease.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is The Best Treatment for Sarcoidosis? - July 9, 2021
- Herbal Remedies for Deviated Nasal Septum - July 5, 2021
- How to Treat Seborrheic keratosis in Ayurveda? - July 2, 2021
- Arachnoiditis, Symptoms, Causes and Ayurvedic Treatment - June 24, 2021
- Transverse Myelitis Treatment in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - June 21, 2021