Herbal Remedies for PSC Liver Disease – Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC) is a disease of the bile ducts. The function of bile duct is to carry the digestive liquid bile from the liver to the small intestine. In this condition, there are scars within the bile ducts due to inflammation. Inflammation as well as scars make the bile duct narrow and gradually cause serious liver damage.
This disease progresses slowly. It can eventually lead to liver failure, tumor infections as well as repeated infections.
What are the Symptoms of Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis?
Early symptoms often include fatigue and itching.
Signs and symptoms that may appear as the disease progresses include:
- Pain in the upper right part of the abdomen
- Enlarged liver
- Weight loss
- Enlarged spleen
- Yellow colouration of the eyes and skin
- Night sweats
What are the Causes of Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)?
The causes of Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis are not exactly known. It is thought that an immune system reaction or toxin may trigger the disease. A large number of people with primary sclerosing cholangitis also have an inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) – ulcerative colitis and crohn’s disease.
PSC and inflammatory bowel disease don’t always appear at the same time. In some cases, PSC is present for years before inflammatory bowel disease occurs. If primary sclerosing cholangitis is diagnosed, it is important to look for bowel inflammatory disease (IBD) because there is a greater risk of colon cancer in such patients.
Diagnosis and Treatment
Some tests and procedures such as liver function blood tests, X-rays of the bile ducts, MRI of bile ducts are performed to confirm the diagnosis.
Treatment of Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC)
According to modern treatment, many medications have been studied in people with primary sclerosing cholangitis, but so far none have been found to slow or reverse the disease. Modern treatment considers liver transplant in only the known cure for advanced primary sclerosing cholangitis but Ayurveda offers a ray of hope for the patients suffering from Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC).
According to Ayurveda, Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis is caused due to the vitiation of Pitta dosha in the body.
Due to the intake of excessive junk food, packaged and processed foods, foods loaded with preservatives, excessive intake of tea, coffee and alcohol, pitta dosha gets aggravated and cause serious liver problems.
Liver being the master organ of the body when its functions and structure are altered, it produces serious side effects.
Planet Ayurveda offers liver care pack for the patients suffering from Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis (PSC).
Liver Care Pack of Planet Ayurveda consists of
- Yakritplihantak Churna
- Phyllanthus niruri Capsules
- Echinacea Capsules
- Liver Detox Capsules
1. Yakritplihantak Churna
Yakritplihantak Churna of Planet Ayurveda is purely an herbal formulation consisting of herbs that are known to improve liver function. This churna is considered as a boon for the patients of PSC. It helps in clearing away the toxins from the liver and regenerating the liver cells thus prevents liver failure. The combination of herbs is a wonderful remedy for all liver problems.
Ingredients of Yakritplihantak Churna are:
|Sr. No.||Herbs used||English Name||Botanical Name||Quantity|
|1.||Bhumi Amla||Feather foll||Phyllanthus niruri||60 gm|
|2.||Katuki||Picrorhiza||Picrorhiza kurrao||20 gm|
|3.||Makoy||Black night shade||Solanum indicum||20 gm|
|4.||Punarnava||Hogweed||Boerrhavia diffusa||20 gm|
|5.||Kalmegh||King of bitters||Andrographis paniculate||20 gm|
|6.||Kaasni||Chicory||Cichorium intybus||20 gm|
|7.||Sharpunkha||Purple Tephrosia||Tephrosia purpurea||20 gm|
|8.||Bhringraj||Eclipta||Eclipta alba||20 gm|
Dose: ½ to 1 teaspoonful twice daily with plain water or fruit juice.
2. Phyllanthus Niruri Capsules
The Sanskrit name of this herb is Bhumi Amla. According to Ayurveda, this herb is considered as hepatoprotective herb. Phyllanthus niruri capsules of Planet Ayurveda contain a standardised extract of the whole plant. This herb is coolant in nature. Due to the anti-hepatotoxic property of this herb, it is widely recommended to enhance the liver function. It is considered as digestive, laxative and liver stimulant herb.
Dose: 1-2 capsules twice daily.
3. Echinacea Capsules
The Sanskrit name of Echinacea is Kalmegh. Echinacea capsules of Planet Ayurveda are prepared from the pure extract of Andographis paniculata. This herb is considered as blood purifier, analgesic, liver and kidney support and antiseptic. It is considered as a natural cleanser and removes various toxins, high cholesterol from the blood and improves the functions of liver as well as kidneys.
Dose: 1-2 capsules twice daily.
4. Liver Detox Capsules
Liver is the largest glandular organ of the body and it needs regular liver cleanse to keep working. Liver Detox Capsules of Planet Ayurveda are a blend of liver cleansing herbs that help not only in cleansing but also helps in the regeneration of liver cells. So, liver detox capsules are the best way to cleanse the liver without any side effects.
Ingredients of Liver Detox Capsules are:
|Sr. No.||Indian Name||Botanical Name||Quantity|
|1.||Kutki||Picrorrhiza kurrao||200 mg|
|2.||Punarnava||Boerrhavia diffusa||100 mg|
|3.||Kalmegh||Andrographis paniculate||50 mg|
|4.||Makoy||Solanum indicum||25 mg|
|5.||Biranjasipha||Achillea millefollium||25 mg|
|6.||Jhavuka||Tamarix galluca||25 mg|
|7.||Himsra||Capparis spinose||25 mg|
|8.||Haritaki||Terminalia chebula||25 mg|
|9.||Kaasni||Chicorium intybus||25 mg|
Dose: 1-2 capsules twice daily.
- Eat organic, freshly cooked foods and avoid toxins.
- Foods that are loaded with preservatives and chemicals or processed foods should be avoided because liver has to work overtime to filter out such toxins which eventually affect the health of liver.
- Alcohol is well-proven to be the cause of all liver problems so it is to be avoided even in small doses.
- Cigarette smoking aggravates pitta and capable of damaging liver in no time.
- Air pollution and exposure to chemicals and other toxic substances are injurious to liver health.
- Drinking plenty of water to flush out toxins is also beneficial.
- Keep Pitta dosha in balance. Eat a pacifying diet such as sweet, juicy fruits, sweet buttermilk and avoid fermented food products like vinegar, pungent like chillies and excessive salty foods.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Top 4 Most Effective Ways to Treat Hemorrhoids Naturally - September 19, 2018
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Epidermoid Cysts – Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Herbal Remedies - September 17, 2018
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Mesenteric Adenitis – Symptoms & Herbal Remedies - September 15, 2018
- Ayurvedic Treatment for Acoustic Neuromas – Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis & Herbal Remedies - September 14, 2018
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Cervical Dystonia – Symptoms & Causes - September 7, 2018