Ayurvedic Treatment of Megalocardia
Megalocardia, a disease related to heart and is another name of Cardiomegaly. This is a very common malady of the heart. In this article, we will discuss the disease in detail about its etiology, signs and symptoms, diagnosis, etc. The main thing is the management with the help of Ayurvedic remedies and guidelines or Tips related to diet and lifestyle modifications.
The word Megalocardia is composed of 2 words they are Megalo + Cardia where Megalo refers to ‘Large or abnormally large’ and Cardia means ‘Heart’ so this is a condition where the size of the heart is enlarged. This is also called Cardiomegaly or Megacardia. This condition is usually a sign of some other diseases. This is actually a structural deformity but it will affect the normal physiology of the heart especially the ejection fraction. It may be congenitally present. It is also considered as an Athletic heart because it’s common to have an enlarged heart in athletes due to their strenuous workouts.
Ayurvedic Aspect of This Disease
As per Ayurveda, this disease is included under “Hridya Roga” where Hridya means heart. In this condition, vitiation of all the Tridoshas happens along with the vitiation of Rasa, Rakta, Mamsa, and Meda dhatu. This develops the heart enlargement. Moreover, Agni dusti is also responsible because it will produce Ama (endotoxins) in the body and allow them to accumulate in the cardiac muscles and enlarge them.
CAUSES of MEGALOCARDIA
The cause of this disease is still idiopathic but there are some reasons which are responsible for this condition and they are as follow:
- Improper dietary habits like excessive consumption of fatty foods, salty and sweet food items, non -vegetarian diet, etc
- Sedentary lifestyle – This is one of the leading causes of cardiac issues
- Family History – It may be an inherited disease.
- Certain diseases may lead to this disease like – Hypertension, Coronary artery disease, history of myopathies, history of heart disease and kidney disease, etc.
- Long term use of drugs or medicines may also lead to this condition.
- Congenital abnormalities
- Pregnancy – In pregnancy also this condition can arise.
These things can trigger this condition:
- Alcohol intake
- Use of Tobacco
- Long term stress
SIGNS & SYMPTOMS
The following signs and symptoms will arise when a heart gets enlarged. First and an initial sign of this disease is usually shortness of breath
- Pain in the chest region
- Sometimes pain and some sort of discomfort in the upper arm, and shoulder
- Heaviness in the chest area
- Palpitations, most of the people experience this
- Pedal edema or edema of legs
- Abdominal bloating
It is of two types
- Dilative –Here, heart walls will dilate and can arise this cardiomyopathy.
- Hypertrophy – Those who work very hard their muscles get hypertrophied like in the case of athletes.
Moreover, these conditions can be acute or chronic.
This condition can be diagnosed with the help of investigations. Such as,
- Imaging tests like X – Rays and CT scan
- ECG (Electrocardiogram)
- Treadmill test or Stress test
- Blood test
A long term history of megalocardia may arise an irregular heart pumping to an extent of severe complications like Heart Failure or even a sudden Cardiac Arrest. So, this disease will end up with consequences of life-threatening conditions.
TREATMENT AS PER AYURVEDA
There are various medicines as per the modern system of medicine which will manage this condition but simultaneously they will arise various complications if used for the long term. This disease can be well managed with the help of herbal medicines. As Ayurveda is an ancient system of medicine which is a big contribution by Indian Scholars to the whole World, and at Planet Ayurveda, still we are following the same principles, which are helpful to treat the disease from its root cause. For megalocardia, we offer “Heart Care Pack” that includes the following medications:
- Arjuna Capsules
- Total Heart Support
- Arjun Tea
1. Arjuna Capsules
These capsules are prepared from the pure and standardized extract of herb (Terminalia arjuna). This herb is well known for its potential actions in treating the ailments of the Heart and Cardiovascular system. It helps to maintain the functions, corrects the structural deformities, and also maintains the blood pressure levels. It helps to eliminate the morbid material from the circulatory system. Mainly, the natural Co-Q 10 present in it helps to strengthen your heart. It also helps to control triglycerides and cholesterol levels.
Dosage: 2 Capsules twice daily, after meals with normal water.
2. Total Heart Support
The name of these capsules itself suggests its functions. These capsules help to support the normal structure as well as the functions of the heart. They are composed of herbal extracts of the following herbs – Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), and Shankhapushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis). These herbs provide the strength to the cardiac muscles, reduces inflammation, alleviates stress levels, and maintains the ejection fraction of the heart.
Dosage: 2 Capsules twice daily, after meals with normal water.
3. Arjun Tea
This tea is prepared by combining the herbs such as Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Pipal Twak (Ficus religiosa), Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanica) and Chotti Elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum). All these herbs help to strengthen the cardiac muscles and maintain the wellbeing of the heart. This tea can also be added to your daily routine to maintain the normal functioning of the heart.
Direction for use: Take 2 cups of water and add 1 teaspoon of Arjun tea into it, boil until it is reduced to 1 cup. You can drink this tea twice daily. If you want you can add sugar and even a little quantity of milk into it. But for better results can take 2 cups twice daily and without milk.
SOME USEFUL TIPS
- Avoid Milk products, cut down fats and salt, and reduce the intake of salty, spicy, and sweet things.
- Regular walk, Yoga, Pranayama, and Meditation is very helpful in this condition.
- Avoid a sedentary lifestyle and stay active.
- In this condition, you must add Cinnamon, Garlic, and Amla in your diet.
The heart is the most important organ of our body which needs to function normally and needs extra care otherwise it may also lead to sudden death. Whereas Megalocardia problem will improve with time easily with the help of herbal remedies and dietary and lifestyle changes but if not taken care may end up with various life-threatening complications.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Females can Never be Bald!! What is the Ayurvedic and Scientific View? - March 6, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Oromandibular Dystonia - March 4, 2021
- Ayurvedic Medicines for Testicular microlithiasis (testicular cancer) - March 3, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Essential Thrombosis - March 1, 2021
- Can Klebsiella Causes Sepsis? – Ayurvedic Perspective - February 25, 2021