Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension, Symptoms, Diet and Treatment
Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH) is a rare disorder of unknown etiology, where there is raised pressure within the skull (space that surrounds the brain and spinal cord) that mainly affects obese women of reproductive age group. Idiopathic intracranial hypertension is also known as “pseudo-tumor cerebri”, pseudo means false i.e. false brain tumor. In the skull spaces, cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) is filled that provides nourishment, cushions to the brain and prevents mechanical injury and remove the waste away. IIH is either chronic or acute. In chronic conditions, intracranial hypertension increases CSF pressure causing swelling and damage to the optic nerve. This condition is called neurologic manifestation papilledema. This neurologic manifestation leads to progressive optic atrophy, blindness, etc. Chronic intracranial hypertension usually caused by certain drugs, tetracycline, a blood clot in the brain, vitamin A intake in excessive amounts, etc.
The usual symptoms of idiopathic intracranial hypertension are headaches, visual loss, pulsatile tinnitus (ringing in the ears), blind spots, poor side vision, double vision. Some patients suffer from permanent vision loss.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH)?
The symptoms of IIH increases slowly as it is a progressive disease.
- Double vision
- Poor peripheral vision
- Pulsatile tinnitus.
- Ringing in ears (Tinnitus)
- Temporary blindness.
- Increased CSF pressure
- Swelling of the optic nerve
What Are The Causes For Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension
As now known by the name idiopathic i.e. the cause is not known exactly, but there are certain causes that are responsible for IIH to occur. The First known cause is an increased amount of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) in the skull, CSF is the fluid that surrounds the brain and spinal cord which provides them protection from an injury or damage.
What Are The Risk Factors Of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension?
- Obese women of reproductive age, are at greater risk to happen IIH.
- Taken excessive amounts of vitamin A or Tyramine.
- Certain medications, such as tetracycline, birth control pills, steroids, etc.
- Some medical conditions and diseases like hypothyroidism, Addison’s disease, Anemia, sleep apnea, Behcet’s syndrome, birth control pills, uremia, PCOD, CKD, lupus, etc.
What’s The Prognosis?
The prognosis of idiopathic intracranial hypertension is 5-10 % women experience vision loss. IIH usually improves with the treatment but if left without treatment, it progressively worsens over time. The most common age for this condition is 30 years, however, it usually occurs between 25- 45 years.
What’s The Treatment For IIH?
When a diagnosis is confirmed, the doctor goes for regular vision tests and recommended to monitor any changes in vision. IIH usually affects obese women, recommends reducing weight loss through exercise, healthy eating, and salt restriction, which is an important part of this treatment. Sometimes weight loss surgery recommended by the doctor for those with a BMI greater than 40. Some modern medicine also suggested by the doctor, that decrease CSF production is Acetazolamide (Diamox). But as we all know that allopathic medicine has a lot of side effects, as nowadays people are going with Ayurvedic treatment, and has lots of benefits of it. Ayurveda is not only slow down the disease also cure it of the root.
Ayurvedic treatment for Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH)
Idiopathic intracranial hypertension is a neurological disorder. According to Ayurveda, it is primarily caused due to aggravation of the Vata dosha with the involvement of Pitta dosha. The brain controls all body functions, so a disturbance in it results in impairment of various bodily functions depending upon the area of the brain affected. Ayurvedic Treatment of Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension is the safest way to treat this neurological disorder Idiopathic intracranial hypertension. In Ayurveda, there are various herbs that help to manage all the body ailments. An inactive lifestyle, unhealthy diet, and stress are the main causes, for impairment in the digestion and toxic production (ama). Accumulation of toxin in the body leads to the condition of high-pressure Tarpak Kapha.
Ayurvedic Treatment For Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension (IIH) By Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers Ayurvedic treatment for Idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH), They have experience of several years in Ayurveda, our CEO of the company Dr. Vikaram Chauhan, MD Ayurveda provides us various herbs for numerous diseases. Our herbs are prepared under the supervision of him and all the products are 100 % natural and safe for mankind. Planet Ayurveda offers seven herbal products and is prepared from the amazing blend of herbs which has a tremendous effect on the symptoms of Idiopathic intracranial hypertension.
Our products are:
- Brahmi capsules
- Gotukola capsules
- Stress support
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Punarnava capsules
- Green essentials
- Arjun tea
1. Brahmi capsules
Brahmi capsules are prepared under the supervision of Ayurveda experts. These capsules are an effective herbal remedy that balances all the three doshas of the body. It is prepared from a pure standardized extract of the herb Brahmi (Bacopa Monnier). Brahmi regarded as a brain tonic since ancient times. It controls anxiety, blood pressure, vertigo, and stress as well. It is supposed to be a very good stress reliever. Due to the presence of an alkaloid Bacoposides, it increases memory naturally. Brahmi acts as anti-depressant, anti-stress, anti-oxidant and rejuvenator. Brahmi used for insomnia, restlessness, confusion, forgetfulness, nervous breakdown, etc. Because of its calming effect, people can use it regularly and definitely get rid of stress. Thus its soothing effect is quite beneficial for IIH.
2. Gotukola capsules
Gotukola is prepared from the herb Centella Asiatica, is considered as an effective herb to treat IIH. Planet Ayurveda’s Gotukola Capsules helps to maintain healthy blood flow in the brain and regulate Intracranial pressure. Gotukol capsule has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, that help to reduce the headaches in such patients.
3. Stress Support
As the name suggests, this herbal formulation is useful for the management of stress. These capsules are prepared by the combination of various herbs that helps together for relieving stress.
- Ashwagandha ( Withania Somnifera) – Ashwagandha is very famous in the herbal world as it enhances mental and physical stamina. Ashwagandha possesses an active compound called withanolides and withaferin, that are beneficial for the neurologic disorder. Its pure form has multiple medicinal properties like anti-stress, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, immunomodulatory, antitumor, hemopoietic, and rejuvenating.
- Jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi)
This herb has a cooling effect. Jatamansi herb manages blood pressure, stress and anxiety, anger, and negative thoughts. It also induces sleep.
- Tagar ( Valeriana Wallichii )It’s a very popular herb and is used for its amazing effects on the nervous system. It fights against depression and anxiety.
- Brahmi (Bacopa Monnieri)
As you all know, Brahmi is a wonderful remedy for a nervous disorder.
4. Amalaki Rasayan
These capsules are prepared from the pure standardized extract of herb Amalaki (Emblica Officinalis). It has great medicinal importance in Ayurveda to treat various ailments of the body. This herb helps in balancing all tridosha Vata, Pitta, and Kapha.
5. Punarnava Capsules
These capsules are prepared from standardized pure extracts of the herb Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa). As its name suggests, Punar means again Nava means new, so it acts as a rejuvenating herb. Therefore, its rejuvenating and anti-inflammatory properties help to manage idiopathic intracranial hypertension.
6. Green Essential
Green essential is an amazing blend of various booster herbs. These herbs boost the immune system and provide strength to the body.
- Grape Seed (Vitis Vinifera)
- Wheatgrass (Triticulum Aestivum)
- Spirulina (Spirulina Platensis)
- Alfalfa (Medicago Sativa)
- Green Tea (Camellia Sinensis)
- Amla (Embllica Officinalis)
- Chlorella (Chlorella Vulgaris)
7. Arjuna Tea
Arjuna tea is an amazing herbal tea from the house of Planet Ayurveda. It acts as a detoxifier and removes toxins from the body. Its regular use shows the positive result in IIH.
How to Use:
- Put one cup of water and 1 cup of milk in a pan.
- Add 1 teaspoon of arjuna tea and then stir the mixture.
- Boil the mixture and simmer it on low heat. Boil until it reduces to one cup.
- Strain the tea and add sweetener if needed.
Diet & Lifestyle For Idiopathic Intracranial Hypertension:
Foods to be Taken
- Leafy Green vegetables
- Sweet Potatoes
- Low-fat dairy products
- Whole grain bread
Foods to be Avoided
- Less salt intake
- Less fat intake
- Vitamin- A rich foods like carrots, liver, tomatoes, sweet potatoes should be avoided.
- Added Sugars
- Trans Fats
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Alternative Medicines for Intestinal Intussusception – Digestive System Disorders - January 18, 2021
- Ancient Ayurvedic Remedies for the Treatment of Melanoma - January 16, 2021
- Widowmaker Heart Attack & Its Management in Ayurveda? - January 16, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Retroperitoneal Fibrosis - January 15, 2021
- How to Raise Platelet Counts of a Child Below 5 years age - January 14, 2021