Ayurvedic Treatment of Desmoid Tumour
Desmoid tumours are the rare non cancerous tumors that develop in the connective tissue (tissues that support, protect and give structure to other tissues and organs in the body). These tumors may grow due to the genetic mutations in fibroblast which make up the connective tissue. It is also known as aggressive fibromatosis since it possesses similarities with a malignant tumor called fibro sarcoma. Unlike cancers, they don’t metastasize (spread). Even though desmoid tumors are benign (which does not spread to other body parts), they are capable of growing fast thereby compressing other vital organs and body structures thus inhibiting their functions. The term desmoid is derived from the Greek word ‘desmos’ which means ‘tendon-like’. They may be either slowly growing or rapidly growing. Sometimes, the slow growing ones may not require immediate treatment but the preventive measures for avoiding severities will always be good.
Desmoid tumors show symptoms based on the size and location of the growth. Most commonly, they are seen in the abdomen, arms and legs, but they can form anywhere in the body. General symptoms include:
- Painless or painful lump or swelling
- Decrease in range of motion of hands or legs
- Prickling or tingling pain if tumor exerts pressure on blood vessels or nerves
- Inhibition of functions in affected area
- Bloating, abdominal pain and constipation when located inside the abdomen
- loss of sleep and anxiety
Sometimes people may not experience any of these changes.Since, desmoid tumors are really heterogenous, each person may have a different journey with the tumor.
It can be mainly classified into:
- Superficial or fascial fibromatosis
- Deep or musculoaponeurotic fibromatosis
Superficial fibromatosis can again be divided as:
- Palmar fibromatosis
- Plantar fibromatosis
- Penile fibromatosis
Deep fibromatosis can be divided as:
- Extra abdominal fibromatosis
- Abdominal fibromatosis
- Intra abdominal fibromatosis
The exact cause of desmoid tumors is uncertain but the following increases the risk of its occurrence;
- familial adenomatous polyposis and Gardner’s syndrome
- young adults and pregnancy
- excess use of oral contraceptives
- Even though they are not life threatening, they can be debilitating for the patient affecting their quality of life.
- Physical Examination: A thorough body examination is done by the doctor considering the signs and symptoms of the patient
- Imaging Techniques like ultrasound, MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) and CT (computed tomography) are used. It can provide clear information about the location and growth rate of the tumor.
- Biopsy: A portion of the tumor is removed and taken for examination. It helps in obtaining a definitive diagnosis.
It often has an unpredictable clinical course and chances of recurrence which makes its treatment more challenging. Close monitoring is done when the growth is small and without any symptoms. Other options are taken for quickly growing desmoid tumors. They are:
- Surgery: it is opted generally when signs and symptoms are present and the tumour is at the surgically removable site. But since there are chances of recurrence in the same location
- Chemotherapy: Even though there is no standard chemotherapy for desmoid tumours, certain drugs like doxorubicin, dacarbazine, methotrexate etc are commonly used to shrink the tumours.
- Radiation Therapy: it is done only under certain conditions considering the severe side-effects.
- Thermal Ablation: This procedure is often done to destroy particular types of desmoid tumors. Here intensely hot, cold or focused ultrasound is used in this method.
But these all treatments have more adverse effects on the health of the patient than the benefits. To avoid that, we should go for the alternative treatment.
Ayurveda covers benign tumors under the classification of ‘granthi’. It occurs either due to the aggravation of either of the dosha (Vata, Pitta and kapha) separately or together. Besides, there may also be the involvement of medas (fat) or Sira (veins). In the initial stages of ‘granthi’(benign tumor), sopha chikitsa (anti-inflammatory treatments) are done, protecting the strength of the patient. Surgical intervention is done wherever necessary, but as the last option. Several other purificatory and alleviating therapies are also performed depending on the stage of the disease and individual.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Desmoid Tumors from Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda offers several effective Ayurvedic formulations and herbal supplements for the treatment of desmoid tumors. They are made strictly under the supervision of Ayurveda experts and adhering to the principles of Ayurveda. They are:
1. Kanchnaar Guggul
Planet Ayurveda kanchnaar guggul is an Ayurvedic formulation used in the treatment of benign tumors and several other diseases like cancer, fistula, wounds etc. Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata) bark and Guggulu (Commiphora mukul) are the main ingredients. It also contains other herbs like trikatu, triphala and Varun. With its anti-inflammatory and anti-tumor properties it is best to be used in desmoid tumors.
Dosage: 2 tablets two to three times a day after the meal.
2. Curcumin Capsules
Curcumin is the biologically active compound found in the rhizome of turmeric. Curcumin tablets are prepared from the herb Curcuma longa (turmeric). It possesses antioxidant, anti-inflammatory as well as anti proliferative action on desmoid tumors. Planet Ayurveda provides the purest form of Curcumin without any adulteration in the form of organic and pure vegetarian Curcumin Capsules.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after the meals.
3. Manjishtha Capsules
Planet Ayurveda provides the best quality Manjistha capsules which are free from chemicals and preservatives. It is prepared from the herb Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia) which has the potency of natural cleansing and healing of the body and thereby fighting against desmoid tumors. It purifies the blood and stimulates the liver and spleen.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Gandhak Rasayana
Planet Ayurveda brings the mineral based medicine Gandhak rasayana with appropriately purified Gandhak (Sulphur) in it which is again processed with various herbal decoctions and juices separately. It helps in combating desmoid tumors with its antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties. Moreover, it improves body strength, stamina and provides nourishment by improving the digestive strength.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily
5. Fenugreek Capsules
These capsules are prepared from the seeds of the herb (Trigonella foenum graceum). The growth inhibiting activity of fenugreek helps in arresting the growth of desmoid tumors. Also it helps in relieving constipation and indigestion problems. Planet Ayurveda has got the extract of pure quality fenugreek in capsule form.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily half an hour after meal with plain water.
Thus, we can easily conclude that the intake of these herbal remedies will not only help you to get rid of desmoid tumours but also will safeguard you against the adverse effects of surgery and other chemical treatments. Additionally, they aids in maintaining the overall health of a person due to the numerous benefits of the herbs involved in the herbal remedies.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Natural Solutions for Adverse Effects of Long Working Hours & Night Shifts - April 13, 2021
- What is Bacterial Vaginosis? – Causes, Symptoms and Treatment - April 10, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Antiphospholipid syndrome - April 10, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Testicular Atrophy - April 10, 2021
- Management of Megacolon or Hirschsprung’s Disease in Ayurveda - April 9, 2021