Ayurvedic Treatment of Cervical Dystonia – Symptoms & Causes
Cervical Dystonia, is also known as spasmodic torticollis, is the condition where you can experience an uncontrolled tilt of your head.The involuntary contraction of your neck muscles is the responsible factor for this. It compels the head to twist or turn to one side. Very unfortunately, it is a very painful condition and it`s complete cure is still in confusion. But for some very lucky fellows, it may resolve even without treatment and a sustained remission is really uncommon.
Cervical Dystonia is a rare condition affecting all age groups but the incidence is more often in middle aged women. The genesis of Cervical Dystonia still remain unknown but it`s connection with genetic factors is firmly established.
Causes of Cervical Dystonia
- Injury to head, neck or shoulders
- Brain trauma, tumors
- Reactions on exposure of certain medications like anti – psychotic drugs
- Poisoning due to carbon monoxide or lead
Risk Factor of Cervical Dystonia
There are certain risk factors involved in the development of Cervical Dystonia
- Age :- can occur at any age but more prone after 30 years of age
- Sex :- women are more often caught
- Family history
The involuntary contractions by your neck cause the head to move in different directions.
- Ear towards shoulder
- Chin towards shoulder
- Chin straight up
- Chin straight down
Symptoms of Cervical Dystonia
The most common type of movement associated cervical dystonia is chin tilting towards the shoulder. Combinations of abnormal head postures are also experienced by most of the patients. Jerking motion of head can also be seen in some.
Pain is another major symptom of cervical dystonia. The severity and kind of pain varies from person to person.
- Neck pain radiating to shoulders
- For some, the pain may be exhausting and disabling
- Some may experience episodes of headache
Other symptoms of Cervical Dystonia includes
- Involuntary neck pull
- Uncontrolled blinking of eyes
- Speech difficulty
- Dragging of legs and leg cramps
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Stress and even depression
As this condition is rare as well as difficult to cure completely, one should consult with doctor as soon as possible to have a good prognosis. If Cervical Dystonia is left untreated, the involuntary contractions can even spread to the neighboring sites. The most affection is towards the jaw, face, arms and trunks. They can even begin with bone spurs which in turn reduce the space in spinal canal producing numbness, tingling and weakness in legs, feet, arms and hands.
Herbal Remedies for Cervical Dystonia
Among the tridosha – vata, pitta and kapha – imbalance in the vata dosha is the main culprit for cervical dystonia. The aggravated vata is the cause for involuntary neck muscle movements. The condition is referred to as Manya Stambha in Ayurveda.
As the vitiated vata is the offender, the line of treatment of Dystonia is to pacify the vata dosha. Planet Ayurveda has herbal remedies which are efficient enough to do this action.
- Yogaraj Guggulu
- Punarnava Mandoora
- Giloy Capsules
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Aamavatantak Choorna
1. Yogaraj Guggul
It is a classic Ayurveda formulation widely used in neuro muscular disorders. The main ingredients of Yograj Guggul includes
- Commiphora Mukul (Guggulu)
- Cyperus Rotundus (Musthaka)
- Plumbago Zeylanica (Chitraka)
- Emblica Officianalis (Amalaki)
- Terminalia Bellerica (Vibheetaki)
- Terminalia Chebula (Hareetaki)
- Piper Longum (Pippali)
- Carum Copitum (Ajwain)
- Embelia Ribes (Vidanga)
- Tribulus Terrestris (Gokshura)
- Cuminum Cyminum (Jeera)
- Zingiber Officinale (Shunti)
- Rock Salts
It is a rejuvenative supplement and helps in supportive therapy. The primary action of Yograj Guggul is muscle relaxation, which is very beneficial in cervical Dystonia patients. It is an excellent remedy for muscle spasm. Yograj Guggul is widely used in vatika diseases. In Cervical Dystonia, Yograj Guggul is one of the best choices of medicines as it pacifies the aggravated vata.
Dosage:- 2 tablets twice a day after meals with lukewarm water
2. Punarnava Mandur
Along with natural supplementation, Punarnava Mandur helps in water retention. It strengthens the muscles and also reduces the aggravated vata. The ingredients of Punarnava Mandur include
- Punarnava – Boerhaavia Diffusa
- Chitraka – Plumbago Zeylanica
- Haridra – Curcuma Longa
- Amalaki – Emblica Officinalis
- Pippali – Piper Longum
- Shunti – Zingiber Officinale
- Black pepper – Piper Nigrum
- Haritaki – Terminalia Chebula
- Gaja pippali – Piper Chaba
- Vidanga – Embelia Ribes
Dosage :-2 tablets twice daily after meals with lukewarm water
3. Giloy Capsules
Capsules are prepared out of Guduci (Tinospora Cordifolia). It is considered to be as elixir and do posses rejuvenating properties. It also has an anti allergic, anti inflammatory, anti bacterial and anti viral properties. It boosts the immune system and acts as immune modulator. It helps in the detoxification of the body, as it is enriched with a lot of natural antioxidants. It is a natural blood purifier.
Dosage :- 1 capsule twice daily after meals with lukewarm water
4. Boswellia – Curcumin
Combination of two drugs Shallaki (Boswellia Serrata) and Turmeric (Curcuma Longa). They are potent anti inflammatory drugs. They help to boost the immune system and also to modulate. They are mainly indicated to enhance the blood circulation in the body. Curcumin is a potent anti-oxidant. It is very popular for its antibacterial action. It helps to relieve the pain and inflammation.
Dosage :-1 capsule twice daily after meals with lukewarm water
5. Aamavatantak Churna
This excellent combination of potent drugs is efficient enough to tackle with both ama and aggravated vata. Enriched with anti oxidant properties, it maintains the joint health. The ingredients of Aamavatantaka Choorna includes
- Ashwagandha – Withania Somnifera
- Methika – Trigonella Foenum Graecum
- Suranjana – Colchicum Automnale
- Gorakhmundi – Sphaeranthus Indica
- Haridra – Curcuma Longa
- Shunti – Zingiber Officinale
They are also possessed with antibiotic and antiseptic properties.
Dosage :- 1 teaspoon twice daily with lukewarm water
These herbal formulations are proved to be highly effective in the management of Cervical Dystonia. They are free from side effects as they are manufactured with no added preservatives and chemicals.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Top 7 Home Remedies for a Headache - November 17, 2018
- How Giloy and Papaya leaves are Useful for Increase in Platelet? - November 14, 2018
- How to Manage Asthma in Ayurveda? - November 14, 2018
- How to Get Rid of Ankylosing Spondylitis with Herbal Remedies? - November 12, 2018
- Top 6 Home Remedies for Knee Joint Pain Which Really Works - November 9, 2018