A Holistic Approach To Psoriasis
According to this shloka, ekkushta is defined as the disease in which there is no perspiration, is extensive (affects the large area) and looks like fish scales is known as ekakushta.
(Reference: Charak Samhita (Chikitsa Sthan): Chapter-7 and shloka-21)
Psoriasis is a chronic and inflammatory condition which is caused by the hyperproliferation of the keratinocytes in the epidermis with the well-defined erythematous lesion and slivery plaques with a predilection for the extensor surface and scalp.
In Ayurveda, it is related to kushtha in which kushtha means a disease which makes one’s skin ugly or disgraceful. It is classified into two main groups: mahakushta and kshudrakushta, which are again classified into seven types and eleven types. “Kushnati iti kushtha” which destroys twak and other dhatus is called as kushta.
What are The Causes of Psoriasis?
- Improper Dietary Habits: Improper dietary habits such as taking wrong food combinations: taking salt with milk etc.
- Environmental Factors: Environmental factors such as any chemical and mechanical injury, infections, overuse of medications or drugs, psychological stress, smoking, and bacterial infections, etc.
- Genetic Factors: Genetic factors are also responsible for psoriasis.
- Immunologic Factors: Psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder in which there is a high level of dermal and circulating TNF. The lesions in this condition are associated with an increase in the activity of T cells in the underlying skin.
According to Ayurveda:
- Aharaja Nidana: Intake of an excessive amount of certain foods like citrus fruits, heavy to digest foods, newly formed rice, curd, fish, buffalo milk, unrefined sesame oil, carbohydrate-rich foods, and food articles prepared from sugars. Improper food habits also play an important role in the etiology of kushtha.
- Viharaja Nidan: Excessive exposure to sun rays, sexual intercourse, sleep in the day time, suppressing the natural urges of the body, excessive physical exercise, and stress.
- Sansrgaja Nidana (Infection or Communicable disease): Kushtha is considered as the sansrgaja vyadhi in Ayurveda.
- Manasika Nidana (Behavioural factors): Worry, stress, antisocial activities, grief, and sinful activities.
- Kulaja Nidan (Sahaj): Kushtha vyadhi is also considered as the Adibala pravritta vyadhi which is called as the hereditary disorder.
- Poorva Janmakrata: According to Acharya Sushruta, if the person was suffering from kushtha roga in his previous life and if that person takes rebirth he again has the chances to develops kushtha in the present life.
It means that this disease is caused due to the nidan sevana which increases the tridosha and these doshas settle down in rakta, twak, ambu and mamsa. These vitiated doshas get accumulated in the dhatus (tissue elements) which cause kushtha.
What are the Symptoms of Psoriasis?
In earlier stages, the symptoms go undetected or mild symptoms may appear such as faint, small and dry patches on the skin.
The Symptoms Include:
- Commonly has seen symptoms in the psoriasis patient – Red skin plaques often covered with loose and silver scales. Lesions present in it can be extensive, painful and itchy. Bleeding may occur but in very severe cases these patches merge with one another which covers an entire surface area of the body. Patches are raised and thick that ranges from pink-red salmon to red color and are covered by silvery scales.
- Redness on knee, elbow, scalp, and trunk because these are the main places in which symptoms of psoriasis are seen.
- Change in the nail surface and separation of the nail from its base.
- Plaques of silver scales may develop as loose flakes constantly shed.
Lakshana of Psoriasis:
- Sparajnatva: Loss of sensation in the areas of skin lesion
- Atisweda or Asweda: Excessive sweating or no sweating
- Loma Harsha: Erection of skin hair due to cold or fear
- Kandu and Toda: Itching or pricking pain on the affected area
- Shrama and Klama: Exhaustion and fatigue due to mental instability
- Elevation of patches (Kotha) on the skin surface
- Twak Vivarnta: Discoloration of skin
- Shoolam: Severe pain on the affected and ulcerated areas.
- Vranaadhikam: Persistence of the ulcers
- Suptangata and Daha: Numbness and burning sensation on the skin.
Natural Treatment for Psoriasis:
Planet Ayurveda offers effective treatment for psoriasis which is psora care pack and it is 100% pure, natural and vegetarian. This pack strictly follows the principles of Ayurveda and is safe to be used as these ayurvedic formulations are free from various side effects.
Navkarshik churna is a natural and herbal formulation without any addition of chemicals in it. This churna contains amlaki, bibhitaki, haritaki, giloy, neem, Vacha, manjistha and daruharidra. As this churna contains triphla so it is very helpful in removing toxins from the body and provides strength to the immune system. Giloy present in it acts as a natural immunomodulator that improves the immunity and daruharidra acts as an anti-inflammatory.
Dosage: 1 teaspoon two times daily with plain water after meals.
2. Radiant skin hair nails formula:
Radiant skin hair nails formula consists of pitpapada, ghritkumari, chirata, and manjistha. Manjistha is a useful herb in the lymphatic system that removes toxins from the body. Chirata balances all the three doshas of the body. Ghritkumari stimulates the defense and adaptive mechanism of the body. These herbs in combined state supply oxygen to the skin cells and improve the blood flow to the vessels.
Dosage: 2 capsules two times daily with plain water after meals.
3. Neem capsules:
Neem capsules contain pure neem leaves (Azadirachta indica) and these are rich in carbohydrates and fibers. These capsules are beneficial in balancing Vata, Pitta and Kapha dosha and boost up the immune system of the body.
Dosage: 1 capsule two times a day with plain water after meals.
4. Manjistha capsules:
Manjista capsules boost up the immunity and increase the white blood cells level in the body. These capsules pacify the vitiated pitta and Kapha Dosha. It has the ability to penetrate deep into the tissues and neutralizes its effects. Manjista herb is very helpful in treating symptoms related to psoriasis.
Dosage: 2 capsules two times daily with water after food intake.
5. Pitta balance:
In psoriasis, there is an alteration in the digestive system which leads to an increase in the pitta dosha into rasa dhatu. These pitta balance capsules are effective in psoriasis as it alleviates the pitta dosha in the body and manages psoriasis.
Dosage: 1 capsule two times daily with plain water after the intake of food.
6. Lippu oil:
Lippu oil contains an extract of Pongamia glabra which contains a chemical constituent karanjin. This chemical constituent has microbial and insecticidal properties that kill the microbes and solves the problem of dry and itchy skin. This oil moisturizes the skin and controls the trans-epidermal water loss effectively.
Dosage: Apply this oil on the affected areas after the bath and then expose to sunlight for 2 to 3 minutes.
7. Psorolin ointment:
Psorolin ointment is very effective when the person has scaling skin because it contains extract of Wrightia tinctoris and Cynodon dactylon. This oil also controls hyperkeratosis.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Natural Solutions for Adverse Effects of Long Working Hours & Night Shifts - April 13, 2021
- What is Bacterial Vaginosis? – Causes, Symptoms and Treatment - April 10, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Antiphospholipid syndrome - April 10, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Testicular Atrophy - April 10, 2021
- Management of Megacolon or Hirschsprung’s Disease in Ayurveda - April 9, 2021