Top 7 Natural Ways to Treat Slipped Disc at Home
WHAT IS SLIPPED DISC?
A Slipped disc is the consequence of damage to an intervertebral disc.
Damaged to the disc caused by age-related wear and tear which can be accelerated with the overexertion or abnormal postures of the spine.
If a part of the disc becomes damaged and gets bulge in the direction of the spinal canal or the disc even gets ruptures then its content escape into the spinal canal. In both cases, it’s called a slipped disc.
The disc protrudes forward or backward usually in the direction of the spinal canal towards where the spinal nerves run.
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS OF SLIPPED DISC?
- Most common symptoms are pain and numbness, at one side of the body.
- Pain extends to your arms or legs.
- Unexplained muscle weakness.
- Pain when walking the short distance.
- Tingling, aching or burning sensation in the affected area.
- Pain that worsens after standing and sitting.
- Sneezing, coughing or other small motions.
WHAT ARE THE CAUSES OF SLIPPED DISC?
It can be caused by many reasons
- Lifting a very large, heavy objects can place the strain on the lower back which can cause a slipped disc.
- It there is any work which requires a lot of lifting, then it can increase the risk of slipped disks.
- Overweight also increases risk of slip disk as it cannot supports additional weight.
- Weak muscles and sedentary lifestyle may also contributes to the development of a slipped disc.
- It is more common in elders because disks begin to lose some of their protective water content to become older. As a result, they can slip more easily out of place. They are most common in men than women.
- Obesity and lack of exercise.
- Unexpected or sudden injury, trauma or accident.
WHAT ARE THE RISK FACTORS OF SLIPPED DISC?
- WEIGHT-Excess body weight which causes extra stress on the disks in the lower back.
- OCCUPATION- People who do jobs in which more physical strength is required have greater risk of back pain.
- Repetitive lifting, pulling, pushing, bending sideways and twisting also may increase the risk of a slipped disc.
- GENETICS-It is caused by hereditary in some peoples.
DIAGNOSIS OF SLIPPED DISCS
It can be diagnosed by
- X-Rays- Plain X-Rays don’t detect slipped disc but it may be performed to rule out the other causes of back pain such as an infection tumor, spinal alignment issues or broken bone.
- CT scan- A CT scanner takes a serious of X-Rays from many different directions and then combines them to create cross-sectional images of your spinal column and structures around it.
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) – Radio waves and a strong magnetic field creates the image of an internal body’s structure.
- This test is used to confirm the location of the slipped disk and to see which nerve is affected.
- Myelogram- In this a dye is injected into the spinal fluid and then X-Rays are taken.
- This test can show pressure on spinal cord or nerves due to multiple slipped disc or other conditions.
HOME REMEDIES FOR TREATMENT OF SLIPPED DISC?
Walking every day keeps muscle disorders away.
It can also help to prevent a slipped disc.
Walk on a flat road on 20 minutes as many as you can in a day.
Take longer steps because it can keep away the pain of a slipped disc.
Do not give strain because it might increase the pain.
2. HEAT AND COLD THERAPY
There are various water bags available in the market.
We can use either or both hot and cold water bags in the area you feel the maximum pain.
When doing alterations in between cold and hot water treatment, it is necessary to keep at least half an hour’s gap between both of them.
3. PHYSIOTHERAPY AND YOGA
Physiotherapy is very cheap and good way to get rid of a slipped disc.
Physiotherapist teaches proper exercise and stretching technique which will improve the disc shape to a great extent.
There will be a great difference while performing daily chores after 4-5 sessions of therapy.
Physiotherapy also promotes faster healing of the slipped disc.
Turmeric contains curcumin which is a good anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant agents.
This is the ways which stop the gel-like fluid inside the discs from coming out the bulge.
It also has anti-histamine properties which reduces pain because of blood circulation is slow in the area of pain.
Diet is necessary to keep away all types of bad conditions that may affect the body.
Drink plenty of water and eat the balanced diet.
Take excess of proteins and fibers.
Avoid dairy products and red meat.
Avoid fat-free foods also.
6. EPSOM SALT
It is one of the natural painkiller and anti-inflammatory agents.
Use it by adding 3-4 cups in hot water bath, take bath for 15 minutes, it will help in achieving maximum relaxation in the slipped disc.
Don’t use this remedy if the person is diabetic or pregnant.
7. COMFREY LEAVES
It has the power to heal bones and connective tissues of the body.
Take some fresh leaves and steep it into cold water for about 12 hours undisturbedly.
After 12 hours heat the above solution and filter it.
Add this filtrate into bath water and take bath in twice a day.
Do not consume it orally because it contains hepatic toxin alkaloids.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- EPIDERMOLYSIS BULLOSA - September 30, 2023
- WHAT ARE HER2 BREAST CANCER? - September 29, 2023
- Vestibular Hypofunction – Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment - September 28, 2023
- CONCEPT OF AGNI AND HEALTH ISSUES DUE TO LOW DIGESTIVE FIRE? - September 28, 2023
- Chlamydia Trachomatis Causes, Symptoms, And Herbal Treatment - September 28, 2023