Top 7 Home Remedies for a Headache
A headache is a most common medical condition, which is experienced by people at some point in their life. There are many causes of a headache such as stress, migraine, anxiety, depression, and high blood pressure etc. It may arise spontaneously and sometimes due to some reason. People who are working and having an excessive workload are more prone to this problem. There are some drugs and medicines, which causes the headache problems.
In headache condition, the pain arises from your head or upper neck of your body. The pain arises in the tissues which surround your skull or brain. There is inflammation in the thin tissues that cover the brain surface, spinal cord, veins, arteries and nerves, which ultimately inevitably cause a headache. Sometimes it becomes so painful that you can’t even tolerate it.
Types of a Headache
- A primary headache
- A secondary headache
- Cranial neuralgias, facial pain
Primary head: It includes a tension and migraine headache. A tension headache is most common and it occurs more in women than in men. A migraine headache is due to specific changes in your brain. In migraine headache people often sensitive to sound, light, and smell.
A secondary headache: It is the type of headache which occurs due to some infection in the head or neck. The problems such as dental pain, bleeding in brains, encephalitis, and meningitis are the major cause of a secondary headache.
A secondary headache is also caused by excessive use of medicines and drugs. A headache due to excessive alcohol consumption also falls in this category.
Cranial neuralgias, facial pain: This is mainly nerve pain which leads to inflammation in cranial nerve and muscles. The most common example of this is trigeminal neuralgia. In this condition V cranial nerve is affected which lead to severe pain in your head.
- Pain begins in the head’s back and upper neck. It is a common symptom of a headache.
- You can feel intense pressure on your temple over the eyebrows.
- Tenderness on your scalp, shoulder and neck muscle
- Aching head pain
- Sensitivity to light and sound
- Severe pain in the head during sudden head movement.
- Constant pain in the cheekbone, and forehead
- Fever and nasal discharge
- Due to heavy workload and stress, people can also feel a headache. Depression is also one of cause for headache problem
- People with a migraine having severe headache problems. In this condition sometime you can’t tolerate the pain.
- Infection and inflammation in the nerves and muscles around your head is also the main reason for a headache.
- Trigeminal Autonomic Cephalalgia (TAC), is also one of the reasons for a headache.
- If you are suffering from high fever then this is also one of the reasons for a headache.
- Pain in the one part of the head
- Lack of sleep
- Feel pressure on the forehead
- Nausea and vomiting
Home Remedies for a Headache
1. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is mostly used for the stress relief and headache problems. It is very good during migraine pain. Many studies show that people who are inhaling lavender essential oil during migraine pain, get relief from it. You can also apply directly on your forehead during pain.
It is very effective during a headache and migraine problem. Ginger has very good anti-inflammatory, antihistamine and anti-nausea property, which helps to reduce the headache pain.
3. Drink Water
Dehydration is also one of the reasons for the head pain. So it is very important to you to rehydrate your body. So you should drink lots of water during dehydration. The connective tissues such as collagen fiber and tendons store water in it. If our body loose water then we are more prone to physical injuries and inflammation, which ultimately causes the pain.
In Ayurveda peppermint is known as a pungent, sweet, cooling herb, which is very beneficial in head pain. There are some phytochemicals present is peppermint which has a healing property. Along with this peppermint, also have anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects. It contains compounds such as menthol and menthone. When you apply this peppermint oil with a small amount of alcohol, it will help to speed up the absorption of oil.
5. Magnesium Rich Food
A balanced diet is very important for the proper body functioning. Magnesium is a very good source for relieving the head pain. You should add foods like whole grains, broccoli, beans, nuts and seeds to your diet, which are high in magnesium content.
6. Vitamin B-12 Rich Food
People deficient with vitamin B-12 are more prone to headache problem. If you add foods which are a very good source of vitamin B-12 then it will help you to get relief from head pain. The foods such as fish, sesame seeds and almonds are a very good source of vitamin B-12. Sometimes the doctor prescribes the vitamin B-12 capsule.
7. Butterbur and Feverfew Herb
Feverfew is a very good herb to reduce the migraine pain and also very effective to reduce the symptom of a migraine, such as nausea, sound and light sensitivity etc. Butterbur has an anti-inflammatory property which helps to reduce the head pain caused by inflammation in nerves and muscles around your head.
Dr. Vikram Chauhan
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment Of Interstitial Cystitis - August 26, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Cecal Volvulus - August 25, 2021
- Natural Remedies For PAD Disease In Ayurveda - August 19, 2021
- Ayurvedic Management for Mitral Valve Prolapse - August 18, 2021
- TOP 7 HOME REMEDIES FOR SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES - August 17, 2021