Narcissistic Personality Disorder Treatment In Ayurveda
Personality disorders are mental disorders characterised by persevering and firm maladaptive examples of conduct, cognizance and internal experience, shown across numerous unique circumstances and veering off from those acknowledged by any culture. These patterns develop in early adulthood and are associated with impairment and distress. Narcissistic personality disorder is one of the personality disorders characterised by an extreme feeling of self-importance, abusive conduct, craving for admiration etc. In this text we shall see the details of Narcissistic personality disorder as well as its management in the contemporary system of medicine and traditional system of ayurvedic management. Let’s get it !!!
Narcissistic personality disorder is a mental condition characterised by exaggerated feelings of self worth and importance, decreased empathy towards others’ feelings, abusive behaviour and excessive greed for admiration. Narcissistic personality disorder causes troubles in relationships, work, school, financial affairs etc. Individuals with this disorder become unhappy and disappointed if they do not get admirations and special favours they consider they deserve. The onset of the disorder is in early adulthood. The duration of the disorder is prolonged. Further we shall see its causes, features, management of the same.
Causes of Narcissistic personality disorder
- Causes of narcissistic personality disorder are unknown.narcissistic personality disorder may be linked to neurobiology, genetics and environment.
- Environmental causes can be related to mismatch in child and parent relationships.
- Some characteristics are inherited.
- The incoordination between the brain and thinking and behaviour.
Pathophysiology of Narcissistic personality disorder
Studies identified structural abnormality including lesser volume of grey matter in the left and anterior insular cortex.
Sign and symptoms
- Exaggerated feeling of self importance
- Sense of entitlement
- Expectation of being recognized as superior among others
- Preoccupied fantasies about power, success, brilliance, perfect mate or beauty.
- Consider they are special and superior and can only associate with equally special people.
- Look down or belittle people they think are inferior.
- Monopolise conversations.
- Using people for their advantage
- Envious of others and think others envy them.
- They do not take criticism in an ordinary manner instead they become impatient and angry.
- Difficulty in regulating emotions .
- Secret feelings of shame, humiliation, vulnerability and insecurity.
Subtypes of Narcissistic personality disorder
- Grandiose or overt narcissism: inflated feeling of self importance and high esteem, social dominance, shamelessness, feeling of prestige and superiority.
- Vulnerable or covert narcissism: traits of fragility, sensitive to criticism, social withdrawal, defensiveness are present.
- Oblivious and hypervigilant
- Exhibitinist: grandiose, attention seekers, sexually proactive, competitive.
- Narcissistic personality inventory (PNI) is a tool for borderline, antisocial narcissistic personality disorder. Pathological narcissism is a term for concurrent grandiose and vulnerable narcissism which is associated with lack of empathy, poor self esteem, feelings of shame, aggression, impairment in personality functioning.
- Millon Clinical Multiaxial Inventory (MCMI) is a diagnostic test which includes a scale for narcissism.
Management of Narcissistic personality disorder in modern system
- Participating in the family gatherings helps in coping up with the emotional distress
- Medicines that are used in comorbid disorders
- Relationship problems
- Trouble at the workplace or school
- Health related issues
- Drug abuse
- Negative thoughts
- Depression and anxiety
- Suicidal thoughts when things go against the expectations
Ayurvedic aspect and management of Narcissistic personality disorder
Ayurveda is a holistic and very ancient system of Indian medicine. It focuses on physical, psychological, emotional and mental well being of a person. In Ayurveda, the concept of prakriti is mentioned which is based on the mental and physical constitution of a person. Further there are two types of prakriti – sharirik and mansik. There are three basic dosha/prakriti of the body – vata, pitta and kapha. Three manoguna or manas prakriti are – satva, rajas and tamas. Satva is considered to be flawless and pure whereas tamas and rajas with other manas guna are considered manas dosha or it can be correlated with morbid conditions of the mind. Rajo guna is related to passion and action with dominance of pitta and vata dosha whereas tamo guna relates to inertia and ignorance.
Rajo guna further has six subtypes namely rakshas satva, preta satva, paishacha satva, shakun satva, aasur satva, sarpa satva. Satva means mana/mind.
Correlation of the aasura satva can be well established with Narcissistic personality disorder to some extent with regards to these following qualities
- People with this prakriti are very indulgent in keeping her/his reputation.
- They care about their own benefit and do not care or hesitate about using others for the same.
- These people are usually very courageous and bold.
- They lose their temper very easily and are very aggressive.
- They are deceiving in nature and do not hesitate in harming others.
- They can be terrifying and cruel.
Ayurvedic psychology is composed of herbal remedies and bhuta vidya. There is a branch named in ashtang ayurveda as ‘bhuta vidya’ which is devoted to psychiatry and psychological issues. Some herbs are also mentioned in ayurveda that are helpful in correcting these conditions of mind and psyche. These includes mandukaparni (Centella asiatica), yashtimadhu (Glycyrrhiza glabra), shankhpushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis), guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), jyotismati (Celastrus paniculata), vacha (Acorus calamus), kushmanda (Benincasa hispida), brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) and others.
Ayurvedic formulations or product that are effective in beneficial in mental issues includes brahmi ghrita, sidharthaka ghrita, kalyanaka ghrita, mahakalyanaka ghrita, saraswatarishta, maha paishachaik ghrita, puranghrita, sidharthak ghrita, lashunadya ghrita and others.
Herbal Remedies for Narcissistic personality disorder by Planet Ayurveda
Planet Ayurveda is an eminent GMP certified, ISO 9001:2015 certified and US-FDA registered Ayurvedic Company, which adheres to the objective of manufacturing quality Ayurvedic products as mentioned in a number of ancient texts of Ayurveda. Formulations are manufactured without additives and preservatives and other kinds of chemicals or artificial flavouring agents which can have a number of side effects on the human body. Products manufactured at Planet Ayurveda are pure and devoid of any kind of adulteration. The products are purely organic, vegetarian, gluten free and halal certified. Planet Ayurveda presents its product that effectively manages the condition of Narcissistic personality disorder.
Following is the list of formulations that are helpful in managing Narcissistic personality disorder
- Brahmi Capsules
- Mahapaishachika Ghrita
- Stress Support
1. BRAHMI CAPSULES
Brahmi capsules are filled with the extract of the herb Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) which is a medhya herb as per Acharya Charak. Medhya are those herbs that benefit the brain and mind by enhancing memory and correcting the thinking process. As it affects the brain cells and also keeps moderating the thinking process. By its thought altering properties and relaxing the mind it gives its best in relaxing the angry mind and changing the narcissistic mindset. Therefore, Brahmi capsules are best in the Narcissistic personality disorder.
Dosage: One capsule twice a day
2. MAHAPAISHACHIKA GHRITA
Mahapaishachika ghrita is a classical ayurvedic ghrita (ghee) preparation which finds its reference in Charak samhita. Ghrita is cooked with jatamansi (Nardostachys jatamansi), haritaki (Terminalia chebula), vacha (Acorus calamus), kshir kakoli (Lilium polyphyllum), jayanti, guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia), varahikanda (Dioscorea bulbifera), rasna (Pluchea lanceolata), shatavari (Asparagus racemosus), shalparni (Desmodim ganageticuum) and many others. It is a wonderful formulation and works in nectar in psychological and psychiatric issues. It alters the thoughts and relaxes the mind and helps in a number of conditions related to the mind. Hence, with its impeccable work on mind related issues it works efficiently in Narcissistic personality disorder.
Dosage: One tsp twice a day with warm water
Saraswatarisht is a classical ayurvedic product that is helpful in managing a number of issues both psychological and as well as psychiatric. The formulation contains the mind calming properties of brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), vaividang (Embelia tribes) and bibhitaki (Terminalia billerica). Saraswatarisht enriched with properties of above said herbs help in changing the thinking and mood stabiliser and helps in aggressiveness. Therefore, Saraswatarisht helps in Narcissistic personality disorder.
Dosage: One tsp twice a day
4. STRESS SUPPORT
Stress Support is a product of Planet Ayurveda which is composed of the extract of the herbs ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), tagar (Valeriana wallichi) and brahmi (Bacopa monnieri). The herbs help in modifying the thought process. And soothing the mind and also managing the stress issues as we saw in the features above. Hence, Stress Support is an amazing preparation in narcissism and Narcissistic personality disorder.
Dosage: One capsule twice a dayContact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or Call at 0172-521-4040 (India), +91-172-521-4040 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604
A person develops his mindset in his childhood and early adulthood according to the environment around him/her. Narcissistic personality disorder is one of the personality disorders which has no exact cause known so far. Though experts have come up with some correlation of the condition with some sort of structural changes in the brain.
Narcissistic personality disorder is a negative sort of personality that makes the person think that he is superior to others and feeling of self importance. Person can even hurt others with this mindset and does not even hesitate to deceive his loved ones. Though Narcissistic personality disorder have been divided into types according to the features. Proper counselling and mind relaxing therapies are mandatory to overcome the condition. As we discussed above, there is no proper or accurate management available in the modern systems of medicine but ayurveda with its thought altering and optimising herbal remedies proves beneficial in this personality disorder. Herbs and formulation mentioned above are efficient in helping the people with Narcissistic personality disorder. Hence people with this condition must choose ayurveda due to its amazing benefits.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Vestibular Hypofunction – Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment - September 28, 2023
- CONCEPT OF AGNI AND HEALTH ISSUES DUE TO LOW DIGESTIVE FIRE? - September 28, 2023
- Chlamydia Trachomatis Causes, Symptoms, And Herbal Treatment - September 28, 2023
- NATURAL AYURVEDIC REMEDIES FOR ODONTALGIA (TOOTHACHE) - September 26, 2023
- STING ASSOCIATED VASCULOPATHY WITH ONSET IN INFANCY (SAVI) - September 26, 2023