Metabolic Syndrome Management With Herbal Remedies
A metabolic syndrome is a group of interrelated common clinical disorders. It includes obesity, glucose intolerance, hypertension, and dyslipidemia. The metabolic syndrome is prevalent and is associated with a greater risk of atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease than any of its individual components. The primary defect in energy balance produces obesity and it is sufficient to drive all aspects of the syndrome. Current therapies include diet and exercise as well as agents indicated for the treatment of individual components of the syndrome.
Metabolic syndrome is a collection of heart diseases causing factors that increase the chance of getting Heart disease, Stroke, and Type 2 Diabetes. This syndrome is also known as Syndrome X, Insulin resistance syndrome, and Dysmetabolic syndrome. The number of cases of metabolic syndrome increases with age. It affects more than 40% of people of age 60s and 70s. Clinical features of insulin resistance involve skin changes (Acanthosis nigricans). Obesity involved in this is central obesity ( fat over the abdomen and waist). There is a strong chance of a family history of Diabetes Mellitus. As per Ayurveda, it can be correlated to sroto avrodha and kapha avarana.
The symptoms of metabolic disorders vary widely depending upon the metabolic problem present. It mainly includes
- Poor appetite
- Abdominal pain
- Developmental delay
- The abnormal odour of urine and sweat.
- Muscle weakness
- Frequent infections
- Enlarged liver, heart, and kidney
- Loss of vision
Metabolic disorders can be due to a combination of inherited and environmental factors:-
- Alcohol abuse
- Diuretic abuse
- Ingestion of toxins or poison
- Excess intake of Aspirin, bicarbonate, alkali, and ethylene glycol
- Amino acid disorders (Tay Sachs disease, Phenylketonuria, Tyrosinemia)
- Carbohydrates disorders (Diabetes insipidus, Hereditary fructose intolerance, galactosemia, pyruvate metabolism disorder)
- Fatty acids oxidation defects (Gaucher’s disease, Niemann pick disease)
DIAGNOSISMetabolic syndrome can be diagnosed if you have three or more of the following:-
- Waistline measured more than 40 inches for men and 35 inches or more for women. It is measured across the belly.
- Blood Pressure of 140/90 mm Hg or higher or taking medicines for hypertension.
- Rise of triglyceride levels above 150 mg/dl.
- Patients taking medicines for lowering glucose levels or fasting blood sugar higher than 100.
- High-density lipoprotein levels less than 40 mg/dl in men and 50 mg/dl in women.
AYURVEDIC OVERVIEW OF METABOLIC SYNDROME
According to Ayurveda, it can be understood under the umbrella of Medavahasrotodusti. All the laxanas of medovahasrotodusti can be correlated with the initial stage of metabolic syndrome. A metabolic syndrome without any complication can be compared with Apathyanimitaj Prameh. Ayurvedic treatments depend upon the stage of the disease. Mainly there is an avarana of Kapha dosha. The middle stage of the metabolic disorder can be compared with Santarpana and avaranajanya madhumeha (sthula pramehi). In modern science, we can correlate this with type 2 diabetes mellitus and coronary artery disease. Later on, a complicated stage can be compared with the Updrava of Avarana, Sthaulaya, and Madhumeha. In modern science, it can be correlated with Diabetic neuropathy, retinopathy, cardiomyopathy, and cerebral haemorrhage.
SYMPTOMS OF THE INITIAL STAGE
- Loss of enthusiasm
- Loss of libido
- Foul smell from the body
- Excessive appetite
- Excessive thirst
- Kapha, medahara, and vata anulomaka annapan.
- Niruha basti is prepared by using ushana and theekshana aushad dravya (drugs)
- Agnimantha savaras
- Vidangadi lauh
SYMPTOMS OF THE MIDDLE STAGE
There is an excessive increase in shleshma and pitta which leads to avaran of vata. Due to this obstruction, Ojas is secreted in the urine and it becomes sticky. Due to ojakshaya patients ultimately become emaciated.
- In a condition of excessive dosha vitiation, Vamana and virechana should be given.
- If doshas are moderately vitiated, then Vyayam and Pachana drugs can be used.
- Udvartana by the powder of drugs with ruksha and laghu guna. After that, snehan should be performed.
- Phalatrikadi kwath
- Nisha amalki
- Shilajit rasayan
SYMPTOMS OF LATER STAGE
It can be compared with the complicated case of Avarana and Madhumeha. If it is not treated on time then it could complicate carbuncles developing in vital parts and muscular areas.
Patients having complications due to avarana should be treated with Anabhishyandi (unctuous), Snigdha, vaatanuloman, and Kapha Pitta avirudha drugs. There is also the use of rasayan.
- Shilajatu with milk
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR METABOLIC SYNDROME BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda is a GMP Certified company offering products worldwide. All the products are based on ancient Ayurvedic texts and under the guidance of MD Ayurveda experts. These all are safe and devoid of any kind of preservatives, dyes, and harmful chemicals. Here are a few herbal remedies formulated by Planet Ayurveda listed below:-
- Sarotovahi Capsules
- Navkarshik Churna
- Gugullipid Capsules
- Triphala Capsules
- Arogyavardhini Vati
1. SAROTOVAHI CAPSULES
Planet Ayurveda’s sarotovahi capsules give a positive impact on all microchannels. It removes the blockage in microchannels and reduces Kapha dosha in the body. It maintains a healthy flow of fluids in the body as the obstruction around the dosha is eradicated. It contains ingredients like Shilajit (Asphaltum), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Vidanga (Embelia ribes), etc.
Dosage:- 2 capsules twice a day with plain water after meals
2. NAVKARSHIK CHURNA
Navkarshik Churna by Planet Ayurveda contains ingredients like Amla (Emblica officinalis), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia), etc. It is a classical ayurvedic preparation. It helps in regulating the overall metabolism of the body. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, and immunomodulator.
Dosage:- 1 tsp twice daily with plain water after meals
3. GUGULLIPID CAPSULES
Gugullipid capsules are formulated by Planet Ayurveda. It helps in maintaining healthy blood cholesterol levels. It generally has a tridosha balancing effect but specifically, it pacifies Kapha and Vata dosha in the body. It contains ingredients like Guggul resin (Commiphora mukul), Dalchini (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), Bhumi amla (Phyllanthus niruri) etc.
Dosage:- 1 capsule twice daily with warm water after meals
4. TRIPHALA CAPSULES
Triphala capsules by Planet Ayurveda are helpful in maintaining the balance of all three doshas. Moreover, it maintains a healthy digestive system. It contains Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica), and Amalaki (Emblica officinalis).
Dosage:- 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
5. AROGYAVARDHINI VATI
Arogyavardhini vati is a classical ayurvedic preparation. It supports digestion because of its deepan and pachan properties. It regulates metabolism by excreting out waste from the body. It is a natural detoxifier. It contains ingredients like Chitrak moola (Plumbago zeylanica), Kutki (Picrorhiza kurroa), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), etc.
Dosage:- 2 tablets twice daily with lukewarm water.Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or Call at 0172-521-4040 (India), +91-172-521-4040 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604
It can be concluded from the above discussion that metabolic syndrome can be compared with Medavaha srotas dushti, Apathyanimitaj Prameha, and Updrava of avarana according to various stages. The treatment of Metabolic Syndrome depends upon the stage of metabolic syndrome.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Treatment of Sarcoidosis in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - November 20, 2023
- Vibhitaki/Baheda (Terminalia bellirica)- Benefits, Medicinal Uses, Dosage & More - November 18, 2023
- Chylous Ascites Causes Symptoms and Treatment in Ayurveda - October 4, 2023
- Treatment Of Schmidt’s Syndrome in Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - October 3, 2023
- Treatment Of Epidermolysis Bullosa In Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - September 30, 2023