Management of Costochondritis in Ayurveda
Costochondritis is a medical term used for describing the inflammation of the cartilage which joins the ribs to the breastbone (sternum). The condition can cause mild to severe chest pain, which can sometimes be similar to pain linked to a heart attack or other heart disorders. Costochondritis generally goes away on its own without any specific treatment, though it may sometimes last for several weeks. The treatment of the condition is largely focused on pain relief. But Planet Ayurveda herbal manufacturing company offers some excellent herbal products for natural management of Costochondritis that treats it from the root.
- Costochondritis is a medical condition that is characterized by the inflammation of the ‘costochondral joints’ — the areas where the upper ribs attach to the cartilage that holds them to the sternum (breastbone).
- Costochondritis causes chest pain, particularly upon palpation of the affected area. It is one of the main causes of chest pain in children and teenagers. The chest pain in Costochondritis is usually harmless. It is associated with the protective cage formed by the ribs, and not with the heart, the lungs or the blood vessels inside the chest.
- Costochondritis is also known by some other names, such as Costosternal chondrodynia, Costosternal syndrome, or Chest wall pain.
- Costochondritis can affect both men and women. However, the risk of developing the condition is usually higher in women as compared to men. In addition, the risk of the condition is also fairly high for people above 40 years of age, as well as those who perform manual labor or participate in high-impact activities, and those who are prone to allergies/infections.
- Costochondritis is not a life-threatening condition.
The exact cause of Costochondritis is not clearly known. Nonetheless, some of the potential causes of the condition are:
- Trauma or injury to the chest wall
- Muscle strain due to strenuous physical activities (such as lifting heavy objects)
- Overuse of the arms
- Allergies resulting from frequent exposure to irritants
- Respiratory infections caused by viruses
- Bacterial or fungal infections affecting the rib joint
- Infection after a surgical procedure
- Certain types of Arthritis (like Osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid Arthritis or Ankylosing Spondylitis)
- Cancerous and non-cancerous tumors in the costosternal joint area.
Some of the Most Common Symptoms of Costochondritis are:
- Sharp, aching pain in the breastbone
- Pressure-like pain affects more than one rib, usually stabbing pain at the level of the fourth, fifth and sixth ribs.
- Excruciating pain down the limbs
- Chest pain which worsens while coughing, stretching, or deep breathing
- Swelling at the rib joints due to infection
- Tenderness while pressing on the rib joints.
The pain associated with Costochondritis is generally limited to a small localized (confined) area, but it can extend to a wider area. Moreover, the pain is sporadic (it comes and goes), and it usually becomes less after a change of position or shallow breathing.
The treatment of Costochondritis is chiefly aimed at relieving pain while the patients wait for the condition to resolve on its own in a few weeks.
The common treatment options for Costochondritis include relaxation techniques, use of heat pads, ice applications, acupuncture, gentle stretching exercises, physiotherapy, over-the-counter (OTC) analgesics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), antidepressants, injections of steroids, and Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS).
But Costochondritis can be effectively managed with the help of Ayurvedic medications which can alleviate the pain along with the swelling. The medications, prepared in accordance with the guidelines given in ancient Ayurvedic texts, can be extremely beneficial in managing the painful and inflammatory symptoms of Costochondritis in a safe and natural manner.
Planet Ayurveda offers a ‘Costo-Chon Combo Pack’ for Natural Management of Costochondritis
The pack contains the following herbal products:
1. Boswellia Curcumin
These capsules are prepared from a combination of two potent herbal ingredients — Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) which has anti-inflammatory properties; and Curcumin (Curcuma longa) which is a powerful antioxidant.
The use of these capsules is beneficial for Costochondritis patients because the herbal ingredients can improve the biochemical structure of cartilage, increase blood supply to joint tissue, support healthy functioning of joints, manage infections, and control inflammation.
Dosage: 2 capsules, two times a day.
2. Osteo Plan Capsules
The preparation of these capsules involves the use of standardized extracts of potent herbs like Hadjod (Cissus qudrangularis), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna), and Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus). The herbs are widely used in Ayurvedic formulations because of their anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and analgesic actions.
People affected by Costochondritis can benefit from these capsules because of the combined ability of the herbal ingredients to promote healthy muscles/bones/joints, treat musculoskeletal disorders, lubricate the joints, relieve joint pain, reduce inflammation, improve bone density, and avert degenerative changes.
Dosage: 1 capsule, two times a day.
3. Sinhnaad Guggul Tablets
These tablets are prepared from a combination of well-known herbs, like Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), Amla (Emblica officinalis), etc. The herbs are widely used for preparing various Ayurvedic medications because of their strong antioxidant properties.
The use of these tablets is beneficial for patients suffering from Costochondritis because the combination of herbal ingredients can treat joint pain, reduce stiffness and swelling of joints, treat infections, manage inflammation, and balance the Vata dosha of the body.
Dosage: 2 tablets, two times a day.
4. Hakam Churna
This churna (herbal powder) – also called ‘Tridoshic Rasayan’ – is an excellent herbal supplement for managing painful and inflammatory conditions. The ingredients of the churna include herbs like Chandershoor (Lepidium sativum), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi), and Kalonji (Nigella sativa).
The use of these tablets is beneficial for patients suffering from Costochondritis because the herbal ingredients work synergistically to alleviate joint pain, assist the digestive process, control body metabolism, reduce inflammation, and balance the Vata, Pitta, and Kapha doshas.
Dosage: 1 teaspoonful, two times a day.
The herbal products offered by Planet Ayurveda for managing Costochondritis are prepared from 100% pure and natural herbs. The products are completely safe to use because they do not contain any harmful chemicals, inorganic fertilizers, pesticides, artificial colors, fillers, additives, or binders. However, it is advised that Costochondritis patients should use herbal products in consultation with an Ayurveda expert.
Contact my assistant to provide you the costing/ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214030
Dr. Vikram Chauhan
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Lymphoma in Dogs- Treatment With Herbal Products - May 31, 2023
- Cushing Syndrome in Dogs- Treatment with Herbal Remedies - May 31, 2023
- Cheyletiellosis, Causes Symptoms, and Its Ayurvedic Treatment - May 30, 2023
- Skin Cancer in Dogs and Ayurvedic Treatment - May 29, 2023
- Kidney Diseases in Dogs and Their Treatment in Ayurveda - May 27, 2023