How to Treat hypothyroidism Naturally?
Hypothyroidism is a body disorder that occurs when your thyroid gland doesn’t produce an adequate amount of thyroid hormone. It is a common body disorder which is responsible for a number of body changes. The thyroid is a small butterfly shape endocrine gland present in your neck. The gland is found at the front of the neck, below Adam’s apple. It secretes two hormones such as thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3) in the blood. T4 which contains the 4 atoms of iodine converted into T3 which contains 3 atoms of Iodine in the body tissues. T3 is the biologically active compound which effectively regulates the activities of all the cells and tissues of your body. Thyroid hormones mainly play a vital role in body metabolism. It regulates the speed of the cells with which it works. People who are suffering from hypothyroidism, have very slow body metabolism. Thyroids hormone normalize the vital body function such as heart rate, breathing, body weight, muscle strength, menstrual cycle, and much more.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Weight gain
- Sensitivity to cold temperature
- Thinning hair
- Trouble sleeping
- Muscles weakness
- High cholesterol
- Dry skin
- Heavy menstrual periods
- Slow heart rate
- Impaired memory
- Muscles stiffness and tenderness
According to many experts, 90% of people with hypothyroidism have Hashimoto’s disorder which is an autoimmune hypothyroid condition. Under such condition, your own immune system attacks thyroid tissue. There are numbers of drugs, medications and other products which are helpful for the treatment of this disorder. But by making some dietary changes in your life you can easily disable this disorder. The natural healing process and some natural home remedies can do wonders for hypothyroidism. We are here discussing some natural ways for the treatment of Hypothyroidism.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a great source of fatty acids which can treat the symptoms of hypothyroidism and an underactive thyroid hormones. Fatty acids stimulate and enhance the body metabolism by acting as a catalyst and converting the body fats into energy. It will also help to increase the body basal temperature, which is important for the people who are dealing with the underactive thyroid hormone. Coconut oil contains antioxidants which come from saturated fats like capric acid, caprylic acid, and caproic acid.
- You should add two tablespoons of coconut oil to milk and drink it every morning along with your breakfast.
- Instead of this, you can also add coconut oil to your smoothies and other food items.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar does wonder for the people who are suffering from the hypothyroidism. It is believed that Apple cider vinegar balances the unregulated and underactive hormones in the body and by doing so it can easily improve the energy metabolism. Apple cider vinegar is said to help in detoxification and maintaining the acids, alkaline balance in your body. It also helps people who are struggling with obesity.
- Mix two tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar to a glass of warm water and drink it every morning on empty stomach.
- To enhance the taste mix few drops of honey to it.
- This will helps you for easy consumption.
3. Fish Oil
Fish oil is a dietary supplement which is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids such as Alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), Eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). Fish oil helps to increase the thyroid hormone uptake and maintain healthy thyroid functioning. Omega -3 fatty acid also helps to manage chronic heart diseases and also lowers the blood pressure.
- You can add this oil to your diet.
- Take this oil supplement before consulting your doctor.
Ginger is a natural spice which is available in every kitchen. And give a pleasant flavor to your food. There are number of bioactive compounds present in ginger such as gingerol which has plenty of medicinal properties. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant compounds of ginger can help to improve the thyroid functioning. It also contains minerals such as zinc, magnesium, and potassium, which also enhance the activity of underactive thyroid.
- Add a few slices of ginger into the one cup of water.
- Boil this mixture for 5 minutes, strain and add few drops of honey to it.
- Drink this tea every morning on empty stomach.
- You can also add a fresh slice of ginger to your soup and other dishes.
Guggul is the gum resin which comes from an Indian tree called Commiphora mukul. The recent studies show that one of an active compound called “guggulsterones” in Commiphora mukul may help in activating the underactive thyroid functioning. Along with this property, it has anti-inflammatory and cholesterol-lowering property. Guggul activated the thyroid hormone by more rapidly converting the T4 to T3, which is the more potent and active form of thyroid hormone.
- Consume 25mg guggul supplement daily.
- You must consult your doctor before using this.
- It may interfere with birth control pills and other medication.
6. Iodine Rich Diet
Good iodine-rich food helps to enhance the function of underactive thyroid hormone. Saltwater fish, seafood, kelp, and parsley are the rich source of iodine. So you should add these natural supplements to your diet. Kelp is not recommended for the people who are suffering from the autoimmune thyroid problem.
- Add kelp to your daily diet.
- Consume this once daily for a few months.
Nettle is a rich source of nutrients such as vitamin A, Vitamin B6, iron, calcium, magnesium and iodine. The iodine content in nettle helps to overcome the iodine deficiency that may be responsible for hypothyroidism. This will helps to balance your thyroid functioning and speed up the secretion of thyroxine hormone in the body and easy conversion of T4 into T3.
- Mix two tablespoons of stringent nettle tea into one cup of hot water.
- Steep for 5-10 minute.
- Strain and add few drops of honey to it.
- Consume it daily.
All the natural remedies which are mentioned above, are very helpful for the treatment of hypothyroidism. Foods which includes soy products such as tofu, miso, tempeh, soya sauce and soy milk must be avoided during hypothyroidism. Soya products interfere with the absorption of thyroid medication.
- Can we lose weight easily when we are suffering from hypothyroidism?
- What are the symptoms of hypothyroidism in females?
- What should we add in our diet when we have hypothyroidism?
- Which foods must be avoided by hypothyroid patients?
- Can be eat soya products when we have hypothyroidism?
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is Oromandibular dystonia? – Causes, Symptoms and Treatment - July 29, 2021
- Living With Obesity and the Required Health Measures - July 28, 2021
- What is The Best Treatment for Sarcoidosis? - July 9, 2021
- Herbal Remedies for Deviated Nasal Septum - July 5, 2021
- How to Treat Seborrheic keratosis in Ayurveda? - July 2, 2021