Herbal Remedies for Frozen Shoulder
Frozen shoulder is also known as adhesive capsulitis. Stiffness in the shoulder and upper arm. Bones of shoulder, ligaments, and tendons are covered by a capsule of tissues. The tightness and thickness of this capsule on the shoulder joint cause the restriction of the movement and it causes the shoulder to get frozen.
There is another painful condition in the shoulder joint that is known as “Rotater cuff tear” that is very similar to a frozen shoulder. The reason for this condition is repetitive overhead motion or participation in competitive sports like cricket, base ball, shot put and hammer throw. These both conditions frozen shoulder and rotator cuff muscle are associated with our shoulder muscles and bones of the upper arm.
Types of Frozen Shoulder
The type of frozen shoulder depends upon the stages of the frozen shoulder.
- Stage 1 (Freezing Stage): In this stage, we experience severe and more pain.Due to the severity of the pain range of motion gets affected. Even slight movements can cause pain, hence it restricts the range of motion.
- Stage 2 (Frozen Stage): Symptoms of pain diminish a little bit but the stiffness in the shoulder gets more severe.
- Stage 3 (Thawing Stage): In this stage, the range of motion in the shoulder starts improving. To return to a normal level it takes from 6 months to two years in this stage.
Factors that lead to frozen shoulder are
- Age: People between the age group of 40 to 60 years are more likely to get into the clutches of this problem.
- Gender: Women are more prone to fall in this condition than men.
- Diseases: Diseases like Tb, Parkinson’s disease, hyperthyroidism, cardiovascular disease can increase the risk of the frozen shoulder.
Causes of Frozen shoulder
- Injury or Trauma: Any trauma due to some accident or outstretch of the arm in picking up the heavy object can lead you to this problem of frozen shoulder.
- Immobility: Longer immobility conditions due to illness or some other reason makes your shoulder to get frozen. There may be various reasons for immobility like Recovery from surgery, broken arm, stroke and rotator cuff injury.
- It (frozen shoulder) can affect a range of motion, as it restricts your joint to move and when you try to move it cause the pain in the shoulder. When you try to move your elbow away from your body it makes you feel a painful experience and restricts your movements.
- Pain in the neck and elbow
- Pain in the outer shoulder area.
Diagnosis of frozen shoulder
To diagnose the frozen shoulder orthopedician will examine it physically and it depends upon how badly it hurts but your doctor may also recommend some tests like MRI, X-rays or USG.
According to Ayurveda the main reason behind frozen shoulder is due to injury or Vata aggravation in the body. Ayurveda helps to treat this condition with Ayurvedic herbs and other therapies like detoxification, Ayurvedic massages (in strict supervision of Ayurvedyacharya), etc. to overcome with this problem. Ayurveda treats this problem by treating the Vata vitiation in the body.
In Ayurvedic treatments there is some exercises and herbs which helps you to get rid of this painful problem of the frozen shoulder like:
- Towel Stretch: Take a towel around 3 feet long hold this towel in one end by your right hand. Take it behind your back and grab the opposite end with your other hand. In a horizontal manner have a grip on this towel, use your arm which is healthy and pull another arm(affected one) in an upward position and stretch it as possible but doesn’t jerk or overstretch your affected arm.
- Outward rotation: Take a rubber stretching band between your both hands with your elbows at a 90 degree angle close to your sides. Rotate the lower part of the affected arm outward 2 to 3 inches and make a hold of around 5 seconds. Do 10 to 15 reps once in a day.
- Inward rotation: Stand next to a closed-door take a stretching rubber band and hook one end of the rubber band around the doorknob, hold the other end with the hand of the affected arm, by holding the elbow at around 90-degree angle.Pull the band gently and in slow motion don’t jerk it, pull it towards your body 2 to 3 inches and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat this exercise 10 to 15 times gradually once in a day.
Note: It’s advised to you that you should do these exercises under the supervision of a qualified physiotherapist.
Herbs for treating the problem of frozen shoulder
1. Haridra Curcumin (Curcuma longa)
The active ingredient known as curcumin has miraculous properties in them. Turmeric contains antibiotic, anti-oxidant anti-inflammatory properties in it. Curcumin as a Pain reliever: it has the properties to reduce the pain. Studies show that as a pain reliever it has the same effects on the body as Ibuprofen for reducing the pain.
2. Shallaki (Boswellia Serrata)
It is an Indian herb very well known for its anti-inflammatory effects. It is produced by boswellia tree it is a resin herbal extract and used in Ayurveda for centuries to treat various elements of the body like asthma, inflammatory bowel disease, and rheumatoid arthritis. Being best in reducing inflammation this herb is best for controlling the symptoms of chronic inflammatory conditions.
3. Guggul (Commiphora Mukul)
Guggul (Commiphora mukul) Also known as (Commiphora wightii) is a flowering plant that produces a fragrant resin known as gugal. It is an Indian native but also found in many countries like Northern Africa to Central Asia, mostly found in Northern India. Guggul contains Triterpenoids and diterpenoids, steroids, carbohydrates,lingans and a variety of inorganic ions which helps in eradicating many problems related to inflammation in the body and other medicinal purposes. Polyherbal anti-inflammatory formulation in which guggul used to treat the inflammation of this property of gugglu makes it the best bet to treat the ailments of bone.
4. Ashwgandha (Withania Somnifera)
Ashwgandha helps in improving and revitalizing bone’s health. Due to its anti-inflammatory properties, this herb is considered best to treat swelling in joints and relief in the pain due to inflammation and other ailments of the bone. Besides that, it has other benefits also.
This herb is also known as Indian ginseng for its properties of handling stress and anxiety, in Ayurveda, it has been used since long. It is used to cope with the condition like lowering levels of cholesterol and stabilizing the levels of sugar in the blood.
Planet Ayurveda which is one of the best Ayurvedic center in India and abroad provides the best herbal remedies to treat the problem of Frozen Shoulder some of them are mentioned here
1. Boswellia Curcumin
Made by herbs Boswellia Serrata (Shallaki) and Curcumin (Curcuma Longa) this product is made to combat the problems of Arthiritis and is best to treat frozen shoulder as both these herbs have anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These herbs help to increase the supply of blood to joint tissue and enhance the biochemical structure of the cartilage.
2. Amavantantak Churna
Containing the best herbs like Ashwgandha (Withania somnifera), Haridra (Curcuma Longa), Gorkhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus) and Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Suranjaan (Colchicum automnale), Gorkhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus). When all these herbs mixed together and come in a single product which has different constituents and every constituent has the property of its own like Analgesic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory helps in giving relief from swelling and pain in frozen shoulder and other problems of the bone.
3. Yograj Guggul
Loaded with herbs like Jeeraka (Cuminum Cyminum), Shudh Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), Mustaka (Cyperus rotundus), Ardraka (Zingiber officinale), Haritaki (Terrminalia chebula). The anti-inflammatory properties of these herbs help in reducing the pain and to get rid of the frozen shoulder.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – email@example.com or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
In this article, we try our best to give all information regarding the frozen shoulder its causes, complications and symptoms, exercises for frozen shoulder and the herbal remedies to combat the problem of frozen shoulder.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment Of Interstitial Cystitis - August 26, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment For Cecal Volvulus - August 25, 2021
- Natural Remedies For PAD Disease In Ayurveda - August 19, 2021
- Ayurvedic Management for Mitral Valve Prolapse - August 18, 2021
- TOP 7 HOME REMEDIES FOR SWOLLEN LYMPH NODES - August 17, 2021