Herbal Remedies for Diabetic Retinopathy in Ayurveda
Diabetes is a condition that causes impairment of the body to produce blood glucose which is also known as blood sugar. Diabetes can cause the accumulation of glucose or sugar in the blood which results in an increased risk of other health-related complications and one of these complications is Diabetic retinopathy. It is the type of complication which affects the eye and causes damage to blood vessels of the light-sensitive tissue which is present at the back of our eye. At first, the symptoms may vary from mild to severe cases. It progresses slowly and eventually results in blindness.
People who suffer from diabetes have the tendency to develop eye-related diseases which are known as diabetic retinopathy. This occurs when high blood sugar damages the blood vessels in the retina. These blood vessels present in the retina have a tendency to leak or swell. They can also cause them to get blocked and stop the blood from passing through them. This then forms new abnormal blood vessels on the retina affecting the vision. There are two types of Diabetic stages:-
- Non-Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy: It is one of the common forms and is seen in the earlier stage of diabetic eye disease. Most of the diabetic patients have it. In Non-proliferative diabetic retinopathy, the blood vessels start to leak causing the retina to swell. One of the reasons why diabetic patients lose their vision. The blood vessels present in the retina are blocked, also known as macular ischemia. The blood is not able to reach the macula. Exudates (tiny particles) start to form in the retina and disturb the vision or blurry vision.
- Proliferative Diabetic Retinopathy: It is one of the severe types and is an advanced stage of diabetic retinopathy. This occurs when new and abnormal blood vessels start to grow on the retina. This is known as neovascularization. These blood vessels are very fragile and cause bleeding in the vitreous part of the eye. You might see a few dark floaters when the bleeding is little but when they bleed a lot, it results in blocked vision. These newly formed blood vessels have the tendency to form scar tissue. These tissues result in problems with the macula and are dangerous types.
Signs and Symptoms
In the early stages, you might not experience any symptoms but as the condition progresses there are few signs which include:-
- Vision becomes blurry
- Dark strings floating in the vision.
- Impairment of colored vision
- Dark areas appear in the eyes
- Loss of vision
Diabetic retinopathy can lead to other serious problems like
- Retinal detachment:- Abnormal blood vessels are associated with diabetic retinopathy which stimulates the scar tissue to grow, which is responsible for pulling back the retina away from its position. You might see small spots present in the eye resulting in severe vision problems.
- Vitreous damage:- The newly formed blood vessels may rupture and bleed into the vitreous part of our eye. In severe cases, the vitreous cavity starts to get filled up with blood and blocks the vision.
- Glaucoma:- When blood vessels start to grow in front of the eye, it then disturbs the normal flow of fluid out of the eye. This results in the accumulation of fluid inside the eye and causes pressure. This pressure is responsible for damaging the nerves which help in carrying the images from the eye to the brain.
- Blindness:- Eventually all the conditions in diabetic retinopathy results in Blindness.
As time goes, excessive sugar starts to get accumulated into the blood leading to the blockage of tiny blood vessels, and these vessels are responsible for giving nourishment to the retina. Cutting off the supply results in the eye trying to grow new blood vessels. These newly formed blood vessels are not developed properly and have a tendency to leak easily. There are few risk factors which is responsible for developing diabetic retinopathy and this includes:-
- High levels of blood sugar
- Excessive intake of tobacco
- Native Americans and African-American are at greater risk.
- Proper examination of the eye to look for blurry vision or evidence for cataracts.
- Fluorescein angiography where the inside pictures of the eye are taken by injecting dye.
- Optical coherence tomography in this test cross-sections of the eye is taken.
According to modern science, the treatment for diabetic retinopathy is Panrentinal photocoagulation, vitrectomy, or injecting medicine into the eyes but all these have no permanent treatment. It might also lead to other complications that can disturb life.
According to Ayurveda Diabetes is considered as Prameha which is one of the major disorders involved in Charaka Samhita and this results in Dristipatalagata roga (Diabetic retinopathy). This is caused due to violation of Rakta and Pitta Dosha along with rakta dosha, saptadhatu and four dristipatals of the eye.
Factors that are involved in causing Diabetic retinopathy are Pitta pakriti, psychological stress like sadness, anger, depression, etc, and also eating healthy foods. Ayurveda offers Tarpan therapy which is an ancient method helping the person to manage the disease and along with this herbal medicine helps in increased healing.
Herbal Medicine Provided by Planet Ayurveda for Diabetic Retinopathy
All the herbal medicines made under Planet Ayurveda are 100 percent pure and natural. and prepared under the supervision of an MD Ayurvedic Doctor and each of them is clinically tested. Herbal medicines made by Planet Ayurveda are free from chemicals, preservatives, and additives making them safe to use and free from all kinds of side-effects. These are some herbal medicine which will help in managing the disease:-
- Bilberry capsules
- Angel eye Vitale
- Shilajit capsules
- Dia-beta plus
- Chanderprabha Vati
1. Bilberry Capsules
It is formed from the single herbs known as Bilberries (Vaccinium myrtillus) and is one of the strongest compounds to fight free radicals. They help to reduce the damage caused in the eye and are full of nutrients like flavonoids, anthocyanin pigments, polyphenols, and other compounds. Due to its property, it helps in protecting the eye and improving eyesight. It also helps in muscular degeneration.
Dosage:- One capsule twice daily with water after meals.
2. Angel Eye Vitale
It is an herbal formulation that is packed with minerals like vitamin A, C, and E along with zinc, copper, lutein along with an herb called bilberry (Vaccinium myrtillus). This herbal medicine helps in improving the vision power and improving the blood circulation in the eyes.
Dosage:- One capsule twice daily after meals with water.
3. Shilajit Capsules
It is rich in antioxidants which helps in removing toxins from the body and making the cells healthy. It is rich in Humic and Fulvic acid which is useful in treating both physical and mental stress. It helps in the rejuvenation of blood cells present in the eye. They help in improving the functioning between the nerves present in the eyes and brain.
Dosage:- Two capsules twice daily with water after meals.
4. Dia-Beta Plus
This herbal medicine is a combination of herbs like Gurmar (Gymnema sylvestre), Tulsi (Ocimum sanctum), Karela (Momordica charantia), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), and many more. It is specially made for diabetic patients and helps in controlling the levels of sugar present in the blood. It helps in preventing complications like diabetic neuropathy or diabetic retinopathy.
Dosage:- Two capsules twice daily with water after meals.
5. Chanderprabha Vati
It is one of the ancient herbal remedies which helps in reducing mental stress. It is found to be an excellent remedy for diabetic retinopathy and other ailments related to it. It is helpful in balancing the metabolic power.
Dosage:- Two capsules twice daily with water after meals with water.
Contact Planet Ayurveda to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or call at +91-172-5214030 Or Check Website – www.PlanetAyurveda.com
In this article, we have talked about diabetic retinopathy and its dangerous effect causing blindness. Above mentioned medicine provided by Planet Ayurveda will help in reducing the effect of diabetes on your eyes and helping the eyes to improve naturally.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Treatment of Sarcoidosis in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - November 20, 2023
- Vibhitaki/Baheda (Terminalia bellirica)- Benefits, Medicinal Uses, Dosage & More - November 18, 2023
- Chylous Ascites Causes Symptoms and Treatment in Ayurveda - October 4, 2023
- Treatment Of Schmidt’s Syndrome in Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - October 3, 2023
- Treatment Of Epidermolysis Bullosa In Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - September 30, 2023