Hemianopia- Causes, Symptoms, and Its Ayurvedic Treatment
Hemianopia is a loss of half of their field of vision. It is commonly occurring due to stroke. There are more than 100 different eye diseases and various vision problems. The eyes are the main organ of the vision system which has the ability to receive and process visual detail and detect light and convert it into the electrochemical impulses in neurons. The eye has a complex optical system which collects the light from the environment and focuses on the lens to form the image further transmitting the signals to the brain through a neural pathway which connects the optic nerve to the visual cortex. The eye allows light to enter and project onto a light-sensitive layer of cells known as the retina which further has rod and cone cells. Cone cells are responsible for color vision and require brighter light to function than rods require. Opsins are the pigments which involve photoreception. In this article, we are going to discuss its signs, symptoms and its Ayurvedic aspect in detail.
Bilateral Hemianopia is a partial type of blindness where vision is missing in the outer half part of the right and left visual field. Usually, it is due to damage to the brain and which further causes damage to visual pathways (optic nerve) which is present within the central nervous system resulting in the loss of vision. It was first diagnosed and identified by William Wollaston in 1824. Sometimes Temporary Hemianopia occurs in the Aura phase of migraines. And it is associated with the lesions of the Optic Chiasm (the area where the optic nerve comes across near the pituitary gland). Vision loss can be to the left side or left side and multiple types of brain damage. It is also known as Hemianopsia. It leads to impaired peripheral vision in the outer part of the temporal half of each vision of the eye.
There are several types of Hemianopia which are depending upon the parts of the brain which are involved
1. Left Side
This side receives the information from both eyes and sends the signals to the right side of the visual world.
2. Right Side
This side is receiving information from both of the eyes and sends the signals to the left side of the visual world.
These symptoms are carried through the optic nerves and cross over and connect to the Optic Chiasm. Whenever there is damage to the Optic nerve it causes different types of Hemianopia
- Homonymous- It usually occurs when there is loss of vision on the same side of each eye. It affects the person’s ability to live, drive and navigate. Occurs in injuries due to falls.
- Heteronymous- It is due to the loss of half of the field of vision of both eyes on the different sides. And this is known as Bitemporal hemianopia. If this vision is on the inner side this is known as Binasal Hemianopia.
- Superior- Superior Hemianopia is where a person loses vision to the top half of the eye. It can be due to a tumor which compresses the lower part of the chiasma and from the Hypophysis.
- Inferior- Inferior Hemianopia is the lower field of vision that is affected due to tumors of the upper part of the Chiasma formed from the craniopharyngioma.
- Quadrantanopia- It is the decreased vision in any one-quarter of the visual field.
CAUSES OF BITEMPORAL HEMIANOPIA
- In Bitemporal Hemianopia the vision is missing in the outer half of the right and left visual field.
- The temporal visual field falls on the nasal retina (which is responsible for carrying information to the optic nerve through optic chiasma).
- It occurs due to the result of tumors which are located at the mid-optic chiasm (such as Pituitary adenomas and craniopharyngiomas).
- Neoplastic Meningiomas.
- The vascular origin (aneurysm) of the anterior communicating artery
- The central field vision from 110-120 degrees remains intact.
- When a compressive lesion is located in the anterior part it compresses the ipsilateral optic nerve and this ipsilateral optic nerve leads to central Scotoma.
- These combined deficits are anterior chiasmal syndrome which progresses to Bitemporal hemianopia. The most common causes are
- Neoplasms such as— Pituitary Adenomas, Craniopharyngiomas and Meningiomas.
1. Pituitary Adenomas
They are benign tumors of the pituitary gland which originated at sella turcica. The adenomas lead to the compression of nerves and leading to peripheral vision loss. It causes acute hemorrhagic infarction and acute swelling in the cavernous sinus (known as Pituitary apoplexy, a medical emergency).
It is a rare condition in childhood which involves outgrowth near sella turcica. The key clinical presentation is bitemporal hemianopsia.
Benign neoplasms of the arachnoid cells and are present with Bitemporal hemianopsia which compresses the medial optic nerve fibers.
4. A rare large anterior communicating artery aneurysm.
- Distorted vision
- Double vision
- Decreased night vision
- Visual hallucinations
- Standard automated perimetry (SAP)
- CT Imaging
- Echocardiography and Ultrasound
- Medical Therapy
- Radiation Therapy
SUSHRUTA SAMHITA 1/20
The vitiated doshas travel through the Siras (Blood vessels) and reach the upper part of the body on reaching the troubled eye it causes dreadful diseases. Eyes are controlled and regulated by Pitta doshas which are caused by disturbances in the body. The eyes are the seat of Alochaka Pitta (fire) which is present inside the eye and especially found in the retina and this is only responsible for taking the light and initiating the process of vision. When there is an imbalance in Alochaka Pitta there is either increase or decrease in the fire element. For this diseased planet, ayurveda provided various herbal supplements which are helpful in this disease without causing any side effects.
- Anjana (Collyrium applications)
- Ashchothana (herbal eye drops)
- Pada Abhyanga (foot massage)
- Bidalaka (medicated paste)
- Nasya (medicated instilled through the nose)
- Prakshalana (eye wash)
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA FOR BITEMPORAL HEMIANOPIA
Planet Ayurveda is an ISO 9001:2015 certified and US-FDA registered ayurvedic company which adheres to the objectives of its ayurvedic products as mentioned in the Ayurvedic texts. Formulations which are manufactured by planet ayurveda are without any preservatives and chemicals and do not cause any side effects on the human body. Products manufactured at planet Ayurveda are pure and devoid of any adulterations. These products are pure and gluten-free. For Bitemporal Hemianopia, Planet Ayurveda formulated various herbal supplements which are helpful and beneficial in this.
- Angel Eye Vitae
- Amalaki Rasayan
- Jasnoor Eye Drops
- Neurogenie Capsules
- Maha Triphala Ghrit
1. Angel Eye Vitale
Angel Eye Vitae are Poly-herbal Capsules which are formulated using ingredients such as Amla (Emblica officinalis), Gotu kola (Centella Asiatica) and Bhringraj (Eclipta alba). This medicine is rich in various nutrients which are helpful in improving the proper functioning of the eyes thus improving circulation and enhancing the visual functions of the eye.
Dosage- 1 capsule twice daily after meals
2. Amalaki Rasayan
Amalaki Rasayan is a single herbal Capsule which is formulated by planet ayurveda using a standardised extract of Amla (Emblica officinalis). It is the richest source of Vitamin C and helpful in pacifying tridoshas and working more on pitta dosha. Has Analgesic and Anti-inflammatory properties. Rich source of Natural antioxidants.
Dosage- 1 capsule twice daily after meals.
3. Jasnoor Eye Drops
Jasnoor Eye Drops is an ayurvedic formulation which is prepared to help in improving eyesight and manage all types of eye disorders. It contains various ayurvedic components which are helpful in balancing the vitiated doshas and promoting the healthy state of the eyes.
Dosage- Put 3 drops in each eye twice daily
4. Neurogenie Capsules
Neurogenie Capsules are polyherbal capsules formulated by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri) and Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). These capsules are helpful in the treatment of Insomnia and hence improve memory and mental power. Aids digestion and improves absorption. These capsules are helpful in restoring collagen and suitable sebum production under the eye.
Dosage-2 capsules twice daily after meals.
Saraswatarisht is a classical ayurvedic product which is made by planet ayurveda using ingredients such as Brahmi 9Bacopa monnieri), Adrak (Zingiber officinale), Khas (Vetiveria zizanioides) and many more. This preparation is helpful in improving memory and intelligence. Improves digestion and immunity, acts as a nervine tonic and is helpful in pacifying the central nervous system.
Dosage- 2 teaspoons twice daily after meals
6. Mahatriphala Ghrit
Maha Triphala Ghrit is a classical Ayurvedic product which is formulated by planet ayurveda using Bhringraj (Eclipta alba), Vasa (Adhatoda vasica), Giloy (Tinospora cordifolia) and many more. This Ghrit has anti-inflammatory properties and neuroprotective activity. Helpful in the treatment of eye disorders such as eye pain and eyelid-related disorders.
Dosage- 1 teaspoon with warm water at night
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing / ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or Call at 0172-521-4030 (India), +91-172-521-4030 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604
Hemianopia is a loss of half of their field of vision. It is commonly occurring due to stroke. There are more than 100 different eye diseases and various vision problems. It is also known as Hemianopsia. It leads to impaired peripheral vision in the outer part of the temporal half of each vision of the eye. The vitiated doshas travel through the Siras (Blood vessels) and reach the upper part of the body on reaching the troubled eye it causes dreadful diseases. Eyes are controlled and regulated by Pitta doshas which are caused by disturbances in the body. Further we discussed herbal supplements from planet ayurveda which are helpful in this without causing any side effects.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Best Herbs That Kill Cancer Cells - December 12, 2023
- How to treat optic neuritis in ayurveda with herbal remedies - December 11, 2023
- Treatment of Sarcoidosis in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies - November 20, 2023
- Vibhitaki/Baheda (Terminalia bellirica)- Benefits, Medicinal Uses, Dosage & More - November 18, 2023
- Chylous Ascites Causes Symptoms and Treatment in Ayurveda - October 4, 2023