TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA HEALTHY DIET PLAN & AYURVEDIC TREATMENT
Trigeminal Neuralgia is a condition which shows painful sensations like an electric shock on only one side of the face. Trigeminal Neuralgia is a burden on the health which is seen worldwide on a very large scale. The nervous system includes the Brain, Spine and various Nerves. The nervous system is the network which begins in the brain and Spinal cord, which can be damaged by various illnesses, injuries and other genetic problems. The nervous system contains various special types of cells which are known as Neurons. The nervous system is helpful in regulating the process of digestion. There are different types of neurons such as Motor Neurons (which are useful in breathing, Swallowing and Speaking), Sensory Neurons (which are useful in touch) and Interneurons. There are 100 billion neurons which are present in the brain and they connect to the whole body. In this article, we are going to discuss various herbal remedies for Trigeminal Neuralgia along with the alternate treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia in detail.
Trigeminal Neuralgia is commonly known as Tic Douloureux (Painful Tic), which produces various painful sensations and carries the sensation from the face to the brain. This is a chronic pain disorder which causes sudden, severe pain affecting the cranial nerve which provides signals to the head and face. This nerve is responsible for various sensations such as biting and chewing. Typical, Trigeminal Neuralgia is Unilateral (on one side of the face) and Bilateral (seen on both sides of the face). The trigeminal nerve is the fifth cranial nerve which provides signals to the many parts of the face and head. There are three branches of the Trigeminal nerve which move to the different parts of the face
- Ophthalmic Branch – It includes the forehead region, which is the top portion of the face.
- Maxillary Branch – It includes the Cheeks, nostrils and lips which is the middle region of the face.
- Mandibular Branch – It is the lower portion of the face which is the jaw and lower lip region.
There is a variety of Trigger which affect the pain of Trigeminal Neuralgia which include
- Touching face
- Brushing the teeth
- Washing face
- Breeze lightly moving to the face
- Applying Makeup
Additional Mimickers which include
- Sinus Infection
- Temporal Tendinitis
- Occipital Neuralgia
- Dental Pain
- Cluster Headache
- Giant Cell Arteritis
TYPES OF TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA
- Typical (Type 1) Trigeminal Neuralgia – This is a sharp episode of pain which is sharp and intense. It causes a sharp and burning sensation in the face which can last for a few seconds to 2 minutes. It can last for 2 hours.
- Atypical (Type 2) Trigeminal Neuralgia – This pain is less painful, which is a stabbing type of Pain. This causes persistent aches and Pain which is difficult in controlling the Symptoms.
CAUSES OF THE TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA
- Swollen blood vessels or the tumor which is applying pressure to the nerve causes vascular compression.
- Multiple Sclerosis
SYMPTOMS OF TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA
- There is a sharping, shooting type of pain that feels like an electric shock
- Pain is triggered by Touching, chewing and speaking
- Facial Spasms
- Attacks of pain which last for a few seconds to minutes
- Dilatation of Pupil
- Excess Lacrimation
- Flushing of face
- Pain is affecting one side of the face
- Pain rarely affects during the Night
- Neurological Examination
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
- Anticonvulsant Drugs – Carbamazepine is the first choice for pain in Trigeminal Neuralgia.
- Tricyclic Antidepressants – Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline which treat the pain of Trigeminal Neuralgia
- Muscle Relaxant
- Other Medications such as Botulinum Injection block the sensory nerves which provide relief
SURGICAL OPTIONS SUCH AS
- Microvascular Decompression
- Brain Stereotactic Radiosurgery
- Glycerol Injection
- Balloon Compression
- Radiofrequency for thermal lesioning
TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA AYURVEDIC TREATMENT
The alternate and natural treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia is helpful in providing great relief from the pain and from the symptoms that developed due to this disorder. The natural medical system known as Ayurveda has its roots in India and dates back over 3,000 years. The Sanskrit words ayur (life) and Veda (science or knowledge) are the root of the name Ayurveda. The first step in an Ayurvedic treatment regimen is an internal cleansing procedure. Other treatments include herbal remedies, massage therapy, yoga, meditation, and a particular diet. The primary principles of ayurveda medicine are the ideas of doshas, universal connection, and the body’s constitution (prakriti). This Natural Treatment of Ayurvedic medications is helpful in eliminating impurities, reducing symptoms and increasing the harmony of life. Ayurveda has many positive effects which are used as an alternative therapy which is combined with various medical treatments. Trigeminal Neuralgia ayurvedic treatment connects people with their health and develops the ability to fight and cure disease.
SUSRUTA SAMHITA UTTAR SAMHITA 25/13-14
In Ayurveda, Trigeminal Neuralgia is correlated with Anantavata which is well explained due to the vitiation of tridoshas with a predominance of Vata Doshas starts to irritate the Manya Nadi which further produces Unbearable pain which spreads to the region of Eyebrows, Eyes and Cheeks which further causes complication of eye diseases and Locked Jaw.
Susruta Samhita uttar tantra 26/36
In AnantVaat, the treatment is the same as Suryavart
- Siravedh (It is puncturing of the vein)
- Shirobasti (Ghrit, Tail and Vasa) are used in Shirobasti
- Purgation therapy
- Parishek (with lukewarm milk)
VARIOUS HERBS WHICH ARE USEFUL IN THE AYURVEDIC TREATMENT OF TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA
- SHALLAKI – Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) is a gum resin which has long branches which has anti-inflammatory properties and is considered a sacred plant that provides relief from swelling and stiffness. Shallaki functions as an analgesic and lessens the discomfort in the face brought on by this illness.
- GUGGUL – Guggul (Commiphora mukul) It is a guggul tree which is commonly grown in various regions such as India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. It is commonly known as Nervine Tonic which is useful in intense pain. Guggul is helpful in balancing Vata doshas and scrapes the toxins from the body.
- RASNA – Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata) is a small plant which grows with bushes and is mostly cultivated in the plains of Ganga and North West India. These herbs are useful in balancing the Vata doshas and are useful in reducing the inflammation of the nervous system. Eliminates the toxins and is used as a Rasayana.
- BALA – Bala (Sida cordifolia) denotes strength which is a popular Ayurvedic medicine which provides strength to the bone and promotes overall stamina to the body. Has anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties which overcome stiffness and enhance mobility. Stimulates the central nervous system as it contains Ephedrine and pseudoephedrine.
HERBAL SUPPLEMENTS FOR TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda is a renowned GMP-ISO Certified and US-FDA registered Ayurvedic company whose main Aim is to manufacture various Ayurvedic Formulations as per the holistic system of Ayurveda. The products which are manufactured by Planet Ayurveda are made up of pure herbs without any addition of additives and preservatives. These products which are manufactured by Planet Ayurveda cause no side effects on the body and these are helpful in treating various health-related problems. For Trigeminal Neuralgia Planet Ayurveda provides a trigeminal neuralgia care pack which contains various herbal supplements which cause no side effects and are useful in managing the pain.
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Hakam Churna
- Ashwagandha Capsule
- Yograj Guggul
1. BOSWELLIA CURCUMIN
Boswellia Curcumin are polyherbal Capsules formulations which are manufactured by Planet Ayurveda using Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Curcumin (Curcuma longa). These capsules are useful in maintaining overall health and have anti-inflammatory properties which are useful in all types of pains. Contains Boswellic acid which reduces oedema and swelling.
Dosage – 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
2. HAKAM CHURNA
Hakam Churna is a polyherbal powder formulation which is manufactured by Planet Ayurveda using Chandershoor (Lepidium sativum), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi) and more. This churna is useful in supporting the digestive system and has anti-inflammatory properties which relieve chronic pain and suppress swelling.
Dosage – ½ teaspoon twice daily after meals with plain water.
3. ASHWAGANDHA CAPSULE
Ashwagandha Capsule is a single herbal capsule formulation using the standardised extract of Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera). These capsules are useful in reducing inflammation and thus improve the functions of the immune system. Ashwagandha is known for its Rasayana properties which revitalise the functions of the body.
Dosage – 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water.
4. YOGRAJ GUGGUL
Yograj Guggul is a herbal tablet formulation which is manufactured by Planet Ayurveda using various ingredients such as Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Rasna (Pluchea lanceolata), Cumin (Cuminum cyminum) and many more. Enhances digestion and reduces stiffness and increases mobility.
Dosage – 1-2 tablets twice daily after meals with plain water.
DIET FOR TRIGEMINAL NEURALGIA
In Ayurveda, Diet Plays an important role in life which is included in Tri-Upastambha (three pillars of life), with these factors the body is filled with Strength and growth. The Ayurvedic Diet is not a diet in the modern era but it balances the state of mind. Ayurveda starts with the digestive fire (Agni). Numerous physiological functions, such as food digestion, absorption, and assimilation, are governed by Agni. Ayurveda advises us to avoid snacking in between meals and to eat at regular intervals throughout the day, with lunch being the main meal. The core idea of Ayurveda is Pathya Ahara-Vihara. Acharya Susruta and Vagbhata state that in order to facilitate the easy passage of Vata doshas, the stomach should be divided into four sections: one portion should be left empty, one part should contain a liquid diet, and two parts should be taken solid. Seasonality is an important factor to take into account while planning a daytime and evening diet.
|CEREALS – Refined flour and various products
|CEREALS – Wheat, Barley, Millets (Foxtail, Finger, Pearl and Little Millet), Sorghum
|FRUITS – Orange, Pineapple, Strawberries, Mangoes and Lemon.
|FRUITS – Apple, Banana, Pear, Pomegranate, Watermelon and Muskmelon.
|VEGETABLES – Tomatoes, Lemon, Peas, Okra, Capsicum, Bell pepper.
|VEGETABLES – Pumpkin, Cauliflower, Carrot, Spinach, Bottle Gourd, Beetroot, Bitter Gourd.
|PULSES – Kidney beans, Chickpeas, Bengal Gram, Green Peas.
|PULSES – Green gram, Yellow lentils, Red Lentils and Pigeon Peas.
|DAIRY PRODUCTS – Whole Milk, Full-fat cream, Cheese, Condensed milk and all milk products
|DAIRY PRODUCTS – Skimmed milk and Tofu.
|OILS – Cream and Palm Oil
|OILS – Cow ghee, Canola Oil, Mustard Oil, Coconut Oil.
|SPICES – Red Chilli, Green chilly, Cloves, Garlic and Cardamom
|SPICES – Cumin, Coriander, Turmeric, Pepper, Fennel, Thyme seeds, Fenugreek Seed and Ginger.
|DRINKS – Whole milk drinks, Cream liqueurs, Packaged soups, Alcohol, Carbonated drinks.
|DRINKS – Coconut water, Homemade soups and drinks and herbal tea.
|FLESH FOODS – Processed and fried meat, Red meat.
|FLESH FOODS – Egg (white part) and Chicken.
|DRY FRUITS – Cashew and Pistachio
|DRY FRUITS – Almonds, Raisins, Walnuts and Chia seeds.
|SWEETENERS – White sugar, Refined sugar and Artificial sugar
|SWEETENERS – Jaggery
|OTHER FOOD – Packaged and processed food, Pickles, Packaged soup and frozen food.
|OTHER FOOD – Home-made only.
Tic Douloureux, or Painful Tic, is a frequent term for Trigeminal Neuralgia, a condition that causes a variety of painful sensations that travel from the face to the brain. This chronic pain condition affects the cranial nerve, which sends impulses to the head and face and can cause abrupt, intense pain. In Ayurveda, Trigeminal Neuralgia is correlated with Anantavata which is well explained due to the vitiation of tridoshas with a predominance of Vata Doshas. Then we discussed various alternative systems along with various remedies in Ayurveda.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- AYURVEDIC HERBS FOR NURTURING LIVER - February 9, 2024
- WHAT ARE FENNEL SEEDS? HEALTH BENEFITS - February 9, 2024
- BLACK PEPPER IN AYURVEDA, HISTORY, FORMATION AND EFFECT ON HEALTH - February 7, 2024
- CORIANDER SEEDS, HISTORY, PROPERTIES & HEALTH BENEFITS - February 2, 2024
- CUMIN DEFINITION, VARIETIES, TRADITIONAL USES & ITS EFFECTS ON HEALTH - February 1, 2024