ayurvedic treatment of Hallux Rigidus
In this article, we are going to discuss one more disease which is related to our musculoskeletal system. The name of this disease itself clears the complete complaints of what a patient feels when suffering from this health ailment. Hallux rigidus, where the ‘Hallux’ refers to a person’s big toe and ‘Rigidus’ means stiffness. So, it’s a disease where the stiffness of the big or great toe takes place. And restrict the activity of individuals like walking, folding of the toe, climbing, etc. The important part of this article is the contribution of herbal remedies in treating this disease that too without any side effects.
Hallux rigidus is a degenerative disease that affects the big toe or great toe, makes it stiff and restricts its movements, and is a progressive disease that worsens with time. It can affect any age group but it’s very common in old age or above 40 years because it occurs due to degeneration of the metatarsophalangeal joint. The incidence ratio is quite high in those who have a history of arthritis. This disease is characterized by stiffness in the big toe associated with pain and reduced movement. In simple words, it is a form of arthritis that affects the great toe. In simple words, it is a form of arthritis that affects the great toe. There is one more disease called Hallux limitus, these both are different conditions wherein hallux limitus, movements of the big toe are limited or reduced but the big toe is not completely stiff.
As per Ayurveda, this condition is incorporated into Vata Vyadhi’s particularly Sandhivata. Where aggravated Vata vitiates the other two doshas i.e. Pitta and Kapha and gets accumulated in the joints and leads to degeneration and arises pain, stiffness and reduces the movements. But here in this condition, aggravated Vata is only located in the big toe.
The main reasons which will develop this disease are mentioned below:
- Dietary Factors – All the dry, pungent, astringent, cold foodstuffs, etc are responsible for the aggravation of Vata dosha in our body.
- Lifestyle Factors – Excessive exposure to cold wind, working more than one’s capacity, excessive walk, wearing heels or incorrect footwear and walking on uneven surfaces, etc. are the cause of this problem.
- Hereditary Factors – This disease may run in generations.
- History of Diseases – Any history of degenerative diseases like Osteoarthritis, bone spur, or any abnormality in foot, etc may lead to this condition.
- History of trauma, toe sprain or fracture may also be responsible
- Cold and Rainy seasons will elevate stiffness and pains
- Wearing incorrect footwear
- Excess use or rolling over or excess pressure on the toe
SYMPTOMS OF HALLUX RIGIDUS
The signs and symptoms of these diseases are as follow:
- The cardinal sign of this disease is Stiffness
- Severe pain which will get worse while walking
- Hampered movement of the great toe
- Local swelling or inflammation
- Numbness or tingling sensation on the toe
- Reduced flexion.
- Limping due to pain
- Difficult in walking, standing, wearing shoes, etc.
This disease can be diagnosed on the basis of clinical symptoms and history but the confirmation can take the help of X- Rays.
TREATMENT AS PER AYURVEDA
The current, modern system of medicine tackles this disease with the help of Analgesics, NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), Calcium and Vitamin D, Physiotherapy and mainly with the surgery. On the contrary, in Ayurveda, the management can be done with the Help of Herbs and minerals along with the dietary guidelines in a very effective way.
We, at Planet Ayurveda, use the pure and standardized extract of herbs which are efficient enough to manage this disease without undergoing any surgery. Those who are suffering from this condition can follow below given herbal remedies they will take a bit time but definitely will treat the disease from its root cause. Other than medicines Panchakarma like Snehana, Swedana, and Basti are effective in this condition. So, Let’s go through the remedies:
- RumoGin 5
- Boswellia Curcumin
- Joint Aid Plus
- Yograj guggul
- Orthovita Oil
1. RumoGin 5
This is a perfect combination offered by Planet Ayurveda to treat various problems related to Joints and are made of Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Pippali (Piper longum), Maricha (Piper nigrum), etc. These herbs are full of properties like analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and are enriched with antioxidants. They also help to reduce stiffness and increase the range of movement of joints.
Dosage: 1 capsule twice daily after meals with water.
2. Boswellia Curcumin
These capsules are formulated by using the standardized and pure extract of two herbs, they are – Shallaki (Boswellia serrata) and Haridra (Curcuma longa). Both herbs possess anti-inflammatory, analgesic, and antimicrobial properties thus, helpful in reducing swelling and pain.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily after meals with water.
3. Joint Aid Plus
They are made up of natural herbs like Nirgundi (Vitex negundo), Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Sonth (Zingiber officinale), Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), etc they all help in reducing inflammation and pain in the joints hence effective to relief arthritis. Whereas, Ashwagandha helps to strengthen the joint and improves the nerve supply and provides strength to the joint.
Dosage: 2 capsules twice daily after meals with water.
4. Yograj Guggul
This is a classical formulation which is prepared from the combination of Chitraka (Plumbago zeylanica), Pippali (Piper longum), Trikatu, Triphala, etc. which efficiently removes toxins from the joints and effective in various disorders related to musculoskeletal systems such as gout and arthritis. It helps to bring balance in Vata dosha. It helps to relieve pain, tingling sensation, stiffness, or rigidity. It helps to provide strength to the bones and joints.
Dosage: 2 tablets twice daily after meals with water.
5. Orthovita Oil
This herbal oil is prepared from specific herbs that have good results in disorders related to joints, bones, and muscles. The local application of this oil helps to improve the blood circulation, reduce the pain, subside the stiffness, and increase the flexibility of joints and strengthen them.
Method to use this oil: Massage this oil on the affected big toe for about 3 to 5 minutes.
Contact Planet Ayurveda Support Team to provide you the costing/ordering and delivery information at – firstname.lastname@example.org or Call at 0172-521-4030 (India), +91-172-521-4030 (Outside India) or Whatsapp at (+91) 9915-593-604.
SOME USEFUL TIPS
• In this condition, rest is best. So, avoid strain and pressure on the toe.
• Shoes with a hard sole will be good as it will avoid bending of the toe. And strictly avoid heals.
• Regular massage with oil is helpful and can give fermentation afterward.
This disease is a degenerative disorder that can be managed with the help of herbs without using steroids and are free from side effects. And by this way we can avoid the chance of further joint degeneration and can rejuvenate the damaged joint tissues as well.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is significance of High CPK Test & its Ayurvedic Management - January 19, 2021
- Alternative Medicines for Intestinal Intussusception – Digestive System Disorders - January 18, 2021
- Ancient Ayurvedic Remedies for the Treatment of Melanoma - January 16, 2021
- Widowmaker Heart Attack & Its Management in Ayurveda? - January 16, 2021
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Retroperitoneal Fibrosis - January 15, 2021