Ayurvedic Treatment for Dry Cough
This article mainly focus on the treatment of dry cough. The article includes the information such as symptoms, causes, herbal remedies, dietary changes and lifestyle changes. Dry cough, or typically a tickly cough, maybe a cough that doesn’t have any phlegm or secretion. Dry coughs could cause a tickling sensation and are usually because of irritation within the throat. Doctors usually denote dry coughs as non-productive coughs. In distinction, a wet, or productive, cough brings up phlegm that helps clear the airways of irritants. However, recent pieces of evidence recommend that several patients with these conditions don’t have a cough, and in those with cough, the response to specific treatments is unpredictable at the best. This raises questions about the conception of a triad of treatable causes for chronic cough. Planet Ayurveda offers many products that are herbal and made with natural herbs.
Dry cough is the most common among people these days. Cough is a very important natural defense of the respiratory tract (1). It also can be a symptom of many metabolic processes and non-respiratory diseases. It is one of the foremost common reasons for adults seeking medical treatment. Acute or ephemeral cough, which frequently happens in association with lower or upper respiratory tract infection, is sometimes self-limiting and typically resolves in 3 weeks. But, chronic cough (persisting more than eight weeks) may result in exhaustion, disturbance of sleep, cough syncope, urinary incontinence, and work absence. In many cases, it also can cause rib fractures, abnormal conditions, pneumomediastinum (PM), and hypodermic respiratory illness.
Symptoms of Dry Cough
Following are the symptoms that may accompany dry cough:
- Respiratory illness
- Heart burn
- Chest pain
- Difficulty in swallowing food
- Throat pain
- Runny nose
- Shortness of breathe
- Difficulty in sleep
Causes of Dry Cough
There are many causes of dry cough. That may create irritation to your airways. Many things can cause a problem such as smoke, pollution, dust, pollen, etc. Dry air may also create a problem. There are some causes that are discussed below:
- Asthma: It is a condition in which airways become narrowed and swollen. It can both be productive as well as non-productive. There is a type of asthma that is known as cough variant asthma (CVA), it includes symptoms like wheezing, shortness of breath, pain in the chest, etc.
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease: GERD is a chronic disease that happens when the acid in the stomach flows back in your esophagus. esophagus connects your mouth with the stomach. It may irritate your esophagus and trigger your cough reflex (3). Symptoms such as heartburn, chronic cough, chest pain, difficulty swallowing, etc.
- Postnasal Drip: It happens when you are suffering from cold, the membrane in your nose produces more mucus than normal. It also triggers your cough. Symptoms such as runny nose, sore throat, trouble swallowing, etc.
Herbal Remedies to treat dry cough
Planet Ayurveda offers many herbal medicines that are very much effective in treating dry cough. These products are made with natural herbs under the guidance of Ayurvedic experts. All herbs used in these products are pure and safe. These herbal products are mentioned below:
- Tulsi Capsules
- Praanrakshak Churna
- Bronco Plan Syrup
It is the best medicinal remedy that provides strength to your lungs, preventing many chronic respiratory diseases. It controls the mucus in bronchitis and asthma. It is known as natural immuno modulator.
Dosage: 1-2 capsules twice daily, after meals.
2. Praanrakshak Churna
Due to its anti-allergic property, it helps us to treat many types of cough. It supports our respiratory system. Ingredients include such as shirish, vaasa, anantmool, dalchini, bharangi, kantkari, and mulethi. All are used to treat asthma and allergy.
Dosage: 1 teaspoon twice a day, after meals.
3. Bronco Plan Syrup
This syrup works as an expectorant that helps in treating cough. It provides strength to our respiratory system, increases the airflow to the lungs. Ingredients include tulsi, madhuyashti, pippali, maricha, kakarshing, vasaka, brihad ela, bibhitaki, haridra, sonth, lavang, kasmard, putiha, nilgiri oil, and honey-sugar syrup.
Dosage: 1-2 teaspoon twice a day, after meals.
Some dietary changes may help you to treat your cough. So, according to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, it is important to use good quality food that also reduces the chances of diseases. There are many home remedies like:
- Honey Tea: It relieves coughs. You can make honey tea by adding two spoons of honey in Lukewarm water. Drink the mixture twice a day.
- Ginger: It also treats dry cough due to its anti inflammatory properties. It relives pain and nausea. You can make ginger tea by adding 30-40 grams of ginger slices in warm water and mix them. Drink it daily to improve your cough. You can take it only one time a day because sometimes, it causes heartburn.
- Steam: It is the natural and best way to treat your cough, and cold. You can take a hot bath and stay in the steam for a few minutes. You can also use streamers for steam. You just take a cloth and cover your whole face with it then take some steam.
- Salt-water: You can add salt in lukewarm water and gargles with it. It is the most effective way to treat your dry cough. It reduces phlegm and mucus.
- Bromelain: It is pineapple juice and has anti-inflammatory properties. It means it can reduce mucus in the back of throat and help in treating cough.
- Avoid Fried food: As fried food trigger acid reflux. So, you must avoid fried food in your diet.
- Probiotics: You can make vegetable soups, miso soup, kimchi, etc. to boosts your immune system. It reduces allergies and prevents many infections. It helps in treating cough.
- Avoid contact with sick people
- Using disinfectant
- Keep your body hydrated
- Avoid taking stress
- Avoid cold water and packed beverages
- Take quality sleep
- Wash your hands regularly
- Taking immune-boosting supplements
- Cover your face with mask when go outside
- Quit smoking
So, we conclude that it is a common issue among various people. It irritates and annoy throat all the time. It is caused by various things like smoking, dust, pollen, etc. So, you should avoid this and protect your throat. We suggested some dietary tips and lifestyle changes above in this article that may help you in treating dry cough. Planet Ayurveda also offers many herbal remedies that can easily treat dry cough. All the products are made with natural herbs. All herbs are pure and safe with no side effects.
- Singh S, Singh V. Combating cough-etiopathogenesis. J Assoc Physicians India. 2013
- Simpson CB, Amin MR. Chronic cough: State-of-the-art review. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2006;134:693–700.
For more information about dry cough, Visit website – www.planetayurveda.com
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Treatment Of Schmidt’s Syndrome in Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - October 3, 2023
- Treatment Of Epidermolysis Bullosa In Ayurveda With Herbal Remedies - September 30, 2023
- WHAT ARE HER2 BREAST CANCER? - September 29, 2023
- Vestibular Hypofunction – Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment - September 28, 2023
- CONCEPT OF AGNI AND HEALTH ISSUES DUE TO LOW DIGESTIVE FIRE? - September 28, 2023