Polycythemia Vera Treatment in Ayurveda with Herbal Remedies
A slow growing blood cancer where your bone marrow makes too many red blood cells is referred to as Polycythemia Vera. Your bone marrow is the site where red blood cells are produced. In Polycythemia Vera the bone marrow is hiked. As the cellularity of the blood increased, it gets thickened leading to reduced flow and blood stagnation. This can even complicates to stroke or heart attack.
Polycythemia Vera is a relatively uncommon condition and remains asymptomatic for very long years. Usually it is diagnosed along with common routine blood tests for other conditions. This blood condition usually develops very slowly and can become life threatening if not handled properly.
Polycythemia Vera is characterized under a group of blood cancers known as myelo proliferative neoplasm. The disease genesis is unclear but no genetic connections are noted. But it is believed to be due to some gene mutations (mutation in protein Janus kinase 2 – JAK2).
Incidence and prevalence is similar to all age groups and genders. But it is relatively common in old age (more than 60 years of age).
Symptoms of Polycythemia Vera
Polycythemia Vera is usually asymptomatic especially in earlier stages. But some patients present with
- Itchiness, especially following a warm bath or shower
- Bleeding or bruising, usually minor
- Blurred vision
- Excessive sweating
- Painful swelling of one joint, often the big toe
- Shortness of breath
- Numbness, tingling, burning or weakness in your hands, feet, arms or legs
- A feeling of fullness or bloating in your left upper abdomen due to an enlarged spleen
- Unexplained weight loss
With better treatment at proper time will ease the symptoms of Polycythemia Vera. But if any mishaps happen it can create complications.
- Blood clotting :- As the blood gets thickened and due blood stagnation, you will have increased risk of blood clot formation. It can cause major accidents like stroke or heart attack. Chances are also there to have deep vein thrombosis (DVT) and even pulmonary embolism.
- Splenomegaly :- Enlargement of spleen is referred to as splenomegaly. Spleen is regarded as the graveyard of red blood cells. Increased number of red blood cells create a huge workload to spleen leading to its enlargement.
- Open sores on the inside lining of stomach, upper small intestine or esophagus (peptic ulcer).
- Inflammation of joints (gout).
- Myelo Fibrosis :- Progressive disorder in which bone marrow is replaced with scar tissue.
- Myelo dysplastic syndrome :- A condition in which stem cells don’t mature or function properly.
- Acute leukemia :-Cancer of the blood and bone marrow.
Herbal Remedies for the Management of Polycythemia Vera
Imbalanced tridosha – vata, pitta & kapha – accounts for Polycythemia Vera with a predominance of pitta dosha. According to Ayurvedic principles, blood production and the blood color is contributed by Rakta dhatu. PCV care pack (Polycythemia Vera care pack) recommended by Planet Ayurveda is a great remedy for Polycythemia Vera. These formulations are the best in the market, as it is completely herbal and with no added preservatives or chemical. Hence they are devoid of side effects and no drug interactions are noted till date.
- Navkarshik churna
- Pitta balance capsule
- Curcumin capsule
- Neem capsule
- Kanchnaar guggul
1) Navkarshik Churna
It is a very effective blood purifier. This churna corrects the protein metabolism and cleanses the blood. Navkarshik churna is very effective for pain management in arthritic condition. As the name indicates it contains nine ingredients. The ingredients are
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Vibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica)
- Neem (Azadirachta indica)
- Vacha (Acorus calamus)
- Manjishta (Rubia cordifolia)
- Katuki (Picrorrhiza kurrao)
- Guduci (Tinospora cordifolia)
- Daruharidra (Berberis aristata)
It balances the tridoshas – vata, pitta & kapha – efficiently.
Dosage :- 1 teaspoonful twice daily after meals with plain water.
2) Pitta Balance Capsule
This capsule help to balance the aggravated pitta. Pitta balance is coolant in nature, there by reduces perspiration. It is a rich source of calcium and helps in body building, thereby boosting the immune system. The strengthened immunity will effectively produce healthy platelets. Your pitta is directly related to blood. When pitta is in balance your blood production is perfect.
Dosage :-1-2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.
3) Kanchnaar Guggul Tablets
It is a potent anti-inflammatory herbal formulation. Kanchnaar guggul is enriched with numerous antioxidants and possess anti-microbial activity. It is also known to be an excellent anti-mutagenic. Kanchnaar guggul is empowered to pacify all the three aggravated doshas – vata, pitta & kapha. It is an excellent choice of medicine for treating skin diseases, liver cysts and also good to use in tumors, lymphoma etc. The ingredients of this formulation include
- Bark of Kanchnaar (Bauhinia variegata)
- Amalaki (Emblica officinalis)
- Haritaki (Terminalia chebula)
- Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellerica)
- Ginger (Zingiber officinale)
- Black pepper (Piper nigrum)
- Pippali (Piper longum)
- Varuna (Crataeva religiosa)
Dosage :- 1-2 tablets twice or thrice a day with plain water after meals.
4) Curcumin Capsules :-
Curcumin which is extracted from turmeric is a potent anti-inflammatory drug. They help to boost the immune system and also to modulate. Curcumin capsules are mainly indicated to enhance the blood circulation in the body. It is a potent anti-oxidant. Curcumin is very popular for its antibacterial action. It helps to relieve the pain and inflammation.
Dosage :- 1-2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.
5) Neem Capsules :-
These capsules are prepared out of the standardized extract of neem (Azadirachta indica). It improves the skin and hair health. Neem capsules are very effective in almost all skin diseases including acne, eczema, psoriasis & microbial infections. This capsule is also a potent anti-inflammatory drug. It also helps to balance the pitta dosha and thus a great blood purifier.
Dosage :- 1- 2 capsules twice a day after meals with plain water.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- What is Oromandibular dystonia? – Causes, Symptoms and Treatment - July 29, 2021
- Living With Obesity and the Required Health Measures - July 28, 2021
- What is The Best Treatment for Sarcoidosis? - July 9, 2021
- Herbal Remedies for Deviated Nasal Septum - July 5, 2021
- How to Treat Seborrheic keratosis in Ayurveda? - July 2, 2021