Parenting Tips Through Ayurveda
Ayurveda is an ancient science and it has explained various tips that are helpful for parenting. Raising your kids while balancing your life is a form of art, not everyone can master it. There should be positive parenting as it’s going to have a great impact on your kids. The way you raise that defines you and shapes them for the future. So make sure it should be positive rather than negative. There are many ways to discipline your kids and you can discipline them in a positive way rather than screaming at them. In this article, we will discuss how we can take care of kids through Ayurveda and the role of Swaranprashan in building immunity in kids.
Ayurvedic Approach To Parenting
Ayurveda is an ancient science of life which is based on the concept of three energies (Vata, pitta, and Kapha). These three energies define health as an equilibrium of these three termed as good health whereas imbalance in these leads to various diseases. Ayurveda offers us many tools that we can apply to our lives, especially in the case of parenting.
As per Ayurveda there are 16 rituals which are marked as major events in a person’s life.
- Beginning with infancy breastfeeding is necessary for the newborn and it provides all essential nutrients along with boosting immunity. Breastfeeding also strengthens the mother-child bond. Mothers who lack sufficient milk and want to improve lactation, some herbs can be beneficial to improve their condition. Hence from starting after the birth of a baby Ayurveda plays an important role.
- According to Ayurveda the first feeding of solid material for the first time is performed between 6 to 10 months. Teething is the second crucial stage of a child’s life which can be eased by giving them vegetable purees and pulses.
- Ayurveda believes in following a proper regime from starting of the day tonight. Parents should teach their children all good habits like waking up early in the morning, brushing their teeth properly, taking a bath on a regular basis along with practicing prayers. All these things will help your kids to be better people physically as well as mentally.
- Abhyanga is an ancient technique of massaging the body with oils. This technique helps in the rejuvenation of tissues and promotes blood circulation throughout the body. Practice this technique before the child’s bath, use lukewarm oil( sesame oil, coconut oil, or ghee).
- Teach them simple yoga techniques that will help them in adulthood too. In this way, you can also practice yoga with them.
- According to Ayurveda digestive fire( Agni) keeps on changing in kids. You can boost their digestive fire by using some herbal remedies. Keep them away from carbonated products and give them lukewarm water. Pay attention to eating habits and make sure they are chewing their food properly. Keep your kids away from television or cellphones while eating food. You can use turmeric and dry ginger to increase their appetite.
- Children need more sleep than adults, ensure that they have enough sleep. As it can affect their physical and mental growth.
Role of Swaranprashan In Ayurveda
In today’s world, the biggest challenge for parents is how to boost their kids’ immunity. Due to busy lifestyles, environmental factors, and electronic distractions, the major concern is low immunity. Swaranprashan is a natural and oldest time tested technique explained in Ayurveda to boost immunity and intecual power of kids. “Swaran” means gold and “Prashan” refers to the act of consuming. This technique is developed and used by our ancestors and it has no side effects.
Swaranprashan is one of the 16 rituals or samskaras mentioned in Ayurvedic literature. It’s a unique method to build long-lasting health without any side effects on the body. Swaranprashan is a method of giving Swarana bhasam (Gold ash) mixed with honey and ghee. But this mixture is firstly fortified with arka (Herbal extracts like Vacha, shankhpushpi, etc). This mixture is given orally to children.
Benefits of Swaranprashan
Swaranprashan promotes the overall health of kids in a natural way. It is beneficial to all children and promotes growth and development.
- Swaranprashan contains pure gold in the form of ash and some other herbs which are known to have immunity-boosting properties. Children are usually vulnerable to infections due to low immunity issues. These drops can help to build strong immunity and reduce the occurrence of common infections such as cough, cold, and fever.
- Swaranprashan benefits digestive power and aids digestion. Weak digestion is the main problem in kids. It accelerates digestion and promotes the absorption of essential nutrients from the food. Swaranprashan helps to improve appetite.
- Swaranprashan is known to improve grasping power in children. It acts as a memory booster and is very important for a healthy brain in children.
- Swaranprashan helps in detoxification of toxins and improves blood circulation.
- Swaranprashan is also known to improve hearing and vision power.
- Swaranprashan is good for overall health and stimulates the nervous system. Hence provides good physical and mental health.
Method of Swaranprashan
Swaranprashan is given on an empty stomach preferably early in the morning. Duration is variable, it can be given on a regular basis monthly up to one month or extended up to 6 months and it can be followed once in a month. The procedure is simple, parents should face the north side and kids should face the east side while giving these drops.
- Infants to 5 years -1 drop every day
- 5 to 10 year – 2 drops every day
- 10 to 16 years – 3 drops every day
Swaranprashan should be given in Pushya nakshatra. Pushya nakshatra is considered as one of the most auspicious stars in Hindu scriptures. Pushya means ‘ to nourish’.
According to Ayurveda it is important to follow a daily regime to stay healthy. As immunity in kids develops gradually but we can develop it by giving Swaranprashan. Swaranprashan has multiple health benefits and parents must give their children to promote immunity and to deal with infections such as cold and flu.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Bullous Pemphigoid - December 3, 2020
- Home Remedies for Ulcerative Colitis - December 2, 2020
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Pilonidal Sinus with Herbal Remedies - November 27, 2020
- Alternative Treatment of Dysphasia and Aphasia - November 26, 2020
- Diet & Lifestyle in winters as Per Ayurveda for “Vata Prakriti” People - November 25, 2020