NEW AGE PRACTICAL AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR ULCERATIVE COLITIS
It is a chronic inflammatory bowel disease that leads to abnormal reactions of the immune system which results in inflammation and ulcers on the inner lining of the large intestine. According to Ayurveda, there is an aggravation of pitta dosha, which affects the rakta and mamsa of the colon and causes pain, inflammation, swelling, redness, edema, and mucous accumulation. In this condition, the patient wants to urge but is not satisfied properly as bowel movements are frequent and mix with blood and mucus and the patient feels weakness, dehydration, and various symptoms. Let’s have a Look!
It usually starts from the rectum and spreads to the colon and symptoms are not constant; they come and go. The symptoms vary according to the condition of the patient. In severe cases, if left untreated the surgery is the last option. The symptoms include belly cramps, pain, weight loss, stool with blood and mucus, and many more. According to the severity of the disease, there are five types of ulcerative colitis. The exact cause is not known but risk factors are responsible for causing the disease.
The exact cause is unknown but some risk factors are there that provoke ulcerative colitis. The risk factors are-
- Family history
- Age- Between 15 to 30 years of age or more than 60 years of age
- Improper diet
- History of inflammatory bowel disease
- Eat a high-fat diet
- Frequently use non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs
There are five types of ulcerative colitis.
- Ulcerative Proctitis – Mildest form will only affect the rectum part which is close to the anus part. The only sign to diagnose is rectal bleeding.
- Proctosigmoiditis – When the rectum and the lower end of the colon are affected it is diagnosed with belly cramps, bloody diarrhoea, and pain occurs, The patient wants to have an urge but is not able to pass it.
- Left side colitis – There is inflammation in the left side of the colon with various symptoms such as loss in weight, and bloody diarrhoea.
- Pancolitis – When it affects the entire colon of the body and the patient shows weight loss, pain, bloody diarrhoea, fatigue, and belly cramps-like symptoms.
- Acute severe – It affects the whole colin and it is a rare condition with heavy diarrhoea, pain, bleeding, and fever.
The ulcerative colitis has the following symptoms-
- Weight loss
- Weakness in body
- Belly pain
- Urge to pass stool
- Not able to hold a bowel movement
- Blood and mucus in bowel movement
- Eye pain in bright light
- Canker sores
- Skin sores
- Disturbance in sleep
The ulcerative colitis has the following diagnosis-
- Blood test- To check the anemia
- Colonoscopy- To check the entire colon
- Stool samples- To rule out parasites or infection in stool
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy- To check the lower part of the colon
- Electrolyte studies
- Barium enema
- Renal function test
- Liver function test
- C-reactive protein
- A computerised Scan of the abdomen
There are two goals to treating ulcerative colitis: heal the colon and prevent more flare-ups. There is only symptomatic treatment for this and no permanent cure. The modern science includes the following treatment for ulcerative colitis-
- Diet- take a rich fibre diet and avoid spicy and packaged food
- Immunomodulators – help to regulate the immune system
- Aminosalicylates – help to relieve inflammation in the lining of the colon
- Sphingosine 1 phosphate receptor modulator
- Janus kinase inhibitors
- Surgery- Colectomy and Proctocolectomy
If ulcerative colitis is left untreated it leads to various complications in the body.
- Dehydration in the body
- Liver disease
- Fulminant colitis
- Colon cancer
AYURVEDA ASPECT FOR ULCERATIVE COLITIS
In च.चि.१९।५ CAUSES OF RAKTATISARA
“पित्तलस्य पुनरम्ललवणकटुकक्षारोष्णतीक्ष्णातिमात्रनिषेविणः प्रतताग्निसूर्यसन्तापोष्णमारुतोपहतगात्रस्य क्रोधेर्ष्याबहुलस्य पित्तं प्रकोपमापद्यते”
- Excessive intake of sour, salty, hot, sharp, alkaline, pungent substance
- Intake of spicy food
- Excessive exposure to agni, sun, and hot air
- Aggressive and jealous personalities
PATHOGENESIS OF RAKTATISARA
Due to excessive intake of pitta dominating ahar and vihar there is vitiation of pitta dosha which leads to a decrease in digestive fire and leads to liquidity and mobility of stool mixed with blood and mucus.
In च.चि.१९।६ SYMPTOMS OF RAKTATISARA
“ तस्य रूपाणि- हारिद्रं हरितं नीलं
कृष्णं रक्तपित्तोपहितमतिदुर्गन्धमतिसार्यते । पुरीषं, तृष्णादाहस्वेदमूर्च्छाशूलब्रध्नसन्तापपाकपरीत इति पित्तातिसारः॥ ”
- Stools will be yellow, green, and black, mixed with blood and mucus
- Excessive thirst
- Burning sensation
- Excessive sweating
- Pain in abdomen
- Inflammation and swelling in colon
AYURVEDIC MANAGEMENT FOR RAKTATISARA
- Use of goat milk – consume it by mixing the honey and sugar
- Use of jangala mamsa rasa
- Anuvasana basti
- Yusha of fruits
- Herbs- Shatavari, Lotus, Kutaj, Kantkari, Bilva, Nagara, Patha, Vacha, Pippali, Jeerak, Chitraka, and more.
- Piccha basti- it contains Shalmali in it which is snigdha and Pichhila in nature which protects from the ulcer and itching and heal the protective layer of the colon.
- Use of Nagkesar- It is rich in kashaya rasa which is cold in potency and contains anti-inflammatory, Stambaka, and Grahi properties which help to stop rectal bleeding and diarrhoea.
- Use of Yashtimadhu- it contains cleansing properties that help in healing the ulcers.
HOME REMEDIES FOR RAKTATISARA
- Take decoction to rose petals – it helps to reduce acidity, burning sensation, and heartburn which helps in the healing process.
- Use banana with curd- mash the banana and mix with curd it helps to ease the symptoms.
- Pomegranate juice- it helps to improve the quantity of blood in the body
- Use the juice of the petals of a marigold flower
- Herbal tea- it helps in the healing process
- Use split moong daal- it helps in digestion
DIET FOR RAKTATISARA
- Pathya (Food allowed to take)-
- Vegetables- bottle gourd, ridge gourd, round gourd, bitter gourd, carrot, pumpkin, potato, turnip, radish
- Fruits- banana, apple, pear
- Pulses- yellow and orange lentils
- Spices- fennel, cumin, coriander
2. Apathya (Avoid to take)-
- Vegetables- garlic, tomato, capsicum, ginger, ladyfinger, eggplant, broccoli, onions, sweet corn
- Fruits- citrus fruits, mangoes, guava, lemon, oranges
- Pulses- chickpeas, kidney beans, black gram
- Spices- red and green chilies
- Other- coffee, milk, and milk products, white refined flour, fried items, spicy products, packaged foods
HERBAL REMEDIES BY PLANET AYURVEDA FOR ULCERATIVE COLITIS
Planet ayurveda provides a pure product made up of 100% natural herbs. It is GMP certified and all products are made under the guidance of M.D. Ayurveda experts and all herbs are explained in the ancient text of Ayurveda. The products are easy to use and free from any type of adulterant, filers, yeast, chemicals, binders, and preservatives. Planet Ayurveda provides herbal remedies for ulcerative colitis to cure in an effective way. The herbal formulations are-
- ARJUNA CAPSULES
- VATSAKADI CHURNA
- PITTA BALANCE
- KUTAJGHAN VATI
1. Arjuna Capsules
The Arjuna capsules are made up of standardised extraction of Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna). It contains anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties which helps to reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation of the colon. It has immunomodulatory effects on the body which helps to improve the healthy functioning of the body. As is kshaya in rasa it helps to balance the pitta and kapha dosha of the body. Due to its cold potency, it helps to control bleeding.
Dosage- 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water, after a meal
2. Vatsakadi Churna
It is made up of a combination of various herbs such as Cyperus rotundus (Nagarmotha), Anar (Punica granatum), Chhoti elaichi (Elettaria cardamomum), and many more herbs. Kutaj contains anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant properties which help to reduce inflammation, and anti-diarrheal property which helps in managing diarrhoea, ulcerative colitis, and irritable bowel syndrome. Bilva and Saunf help in the digestion process. Chhoti elaichi contains anti-inflammatory and spasm-relieving properties which help to reduce edema and inflammation.
Dosage- 1 teaspoon twice daily with normal water
3. Pitta Balance
The capsules are made up of extract of Giloy satva (Tinospora cordifolia), Akik pishti (Natural calcium compound), JaharMohra pishti (Natural calcium compound), and more. It helps to maintain the pitta dosha which helps in the digestion process and improves the metabolism. It provides a cooling effect to the body. JaharMohra pishti contains mild diuretic properties which help to remove toxins from the body and help in reducing inflammation. Akik pishti also helps to reduce inflammation and contains antioxidant properties.
Dosage- 1 capsule twice daily, with plain water, after meal
4. Kutajghan vati
The tablets are made up of a single extraction of Holarrhena antidysenterica (Kutaja). Kutaja contains tikta and kashaya rasa which helps in managing the pitta and kapha dosha of the body. It has sheeta veerya (cold potency) which helps in bleeding. It acts as a rejuvenating agent and boosts the immune system of the body. It contains anti-diarrheal and antispasmodic properties that help to control diarrhoea and relieve pain.
Dosage- 2 tablets twice daily
As we see in this article, in modern symptomatic treatment is only given on the basis of symptoms and severity of disease. In Ayurveda science, it can be treated according to Raktatisara. Ayurveda treats ulcerative colitis in a better way as the products are safe, effective, and have no side effects on the body. To ease the symptoms Picchabasti is the best option to cure ulcerative colitis in an effective way as it contains Shalmali which is Snigdha and pichhila in nature which protects from the ulcer and itching and heals the protective layer of the colon and has no effects are seen during whole process. Planet Ayurveda provides an herbal remedy to treat ulcerative colitis that contains an ulcerative colitis care pack. The ulcerative colitis care pack includes Arjuna capsules, Vatsakadi churna, Pitta balance, and kutajghan vati.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- AYURVEDIC HERBS FOR NURTURING LIVER - February 9, 2024
- WHAT ARE FENNEL SEEDS? HEALTH BENEFITS - February 9, 2024
- BLACK PEPPER IN AYURVEDA, HISTORY, FORMATION AND EFFECT ON HEALTH - February 7, 2024
- CORIANDER SEEDS, HISTORY, PROPERTIES & HEALTH BENEFITS - February 2, 2024
- CUMIN DEFINITION, VARIETIES, TRADITIONAL USES & ITS EFFECTS ON HEALTH - February 1, 2024