What is SHINGLES (Herpes Zoster)? – Causes, Symptoms and Ayurvedic Treatment
Herpes zoster, sometimes known as shingles, is a contagious virus that can result in blistering or itchy skin eruptions. The virus responsible for chickenpox is varicella-zoster. Often in the same region of your body as a rash, you will develop a ring of blisters or rashes. In this article, we will discuss the Shingles in detail with both Modern and Ayurvedic aspects.
Herpes zoster is another name for shingles. It is a severe viral infection of the epidermis around the nerve cells. Although it can be highly painful and have a rash of blisters, it is not a life-threatening condition. The typical rash of shingles is a band of blisters running down one side of the chest or back, although they can develop elsewhere on the body, including on the face and close to the eyes. Varicella (chickenpox) and Herpes zoster (shingles) are two clinically different disease manifestations caused by the varicella-zoster virus (VZV) infection. A dsDNA (double-stranded Deoxyribonucleic Acid) is what the herpes virus is. Herpes zoster is caused by repeated infection, while varicella is caused by primary infection.
- Direct touch with shingles rash lesions that are open
- able to spread to those who have never had chickenpox
GROUPS WITH HIGH INCIDENCE
- People who are over 50
- Those who had chickenpox
- 10-21 days
CAUSES AND RISK FACTORS
- Age: Typical in adults over 50.
- Diseases: that impair the immune system, that as cancer and HIV/AIDS
- Cancer treatments: Radiation or chemotherapy treatments might weaken the immune system and cause shingles.
- Immunosuppressant drugs: long-term use of steroids like prednisone.
1. Initial prodromal stage
The first indications of shingles could include:
- feeling ill all over
2. Acute stage
- A rash will start to appear and frequently hurt.
- An itching or tingling feeling may be felt near the injured nerve.
- Several days later, an itchy, fluid-filled rash that often affects one side of the body or the face appears.
- Blisters with fluid inside that break open, crust over, and disappear in 2-4 weeks.
- Postherpetic neuralgia (PHN): A significant nerve pain that lasts after the rash can be caused by postherpetic neuralgia. The elderly and those with weakened immune systems are the two groups who get PHN the most frequently.
- Ophthalmic shingles: Eye infections can be painful when shingles are present in or around the eye. Your eyelids, forehead, and possibly the tip or side of your nose will develop a blistering rash if you have shingles in your eye.
- Ramsay Hunt syndrome: A number of the brain’s existing nerves become inflamed; also known as herpes zoster oticus. Facial and ear discomfort are Ramsay Hunt syndrome symptoms.
- Hearing problems
- Skin sample: Having the varicella-zoster virus
- Blood test: augmentation of white blood cells
MANAGEMENT OF ACUTE HERPES ZOSTER
- Antiviral medication: Acyclovir, Valacyclovir, Famciclovir
MANAGEMENT OF POSTHERPETIC NEURALGIA
- Tricyclic antidepressants: Amitriptyline
- Lidocaine patch
- Opioids: Morphine
- Topical anesthetics: Benzocaine
- Use cool water compresses on your skin or take a cool water bath to relax.
- Fill the bathtub with finely ground oats.
- Apply calamine lotion to the affected areas.
- Trim your fingernails to avoid infection.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing.
- Many shingles cases resolve on their own, either with or without therapy.
- In two to three weeks, the rash and soreness should go away.
- However, if the person has a major medical condition or is older, especially older than 50 years of age, shingles may remain longer and be more likely to return.
AYURVEDIC OVERVIEW OF SHINGLES (HERPES ZOSTER)
Herpes zoster is associated with Pittja visarpa in Ayurveda. Because it spreads (Sarpana) in numerous directions (i.e. Vividha), this illness is known as Visarpa. Parisarpa is another name for this since it spreads (Sarpana) throughout the body.
स च सप्तविधो दोषैर्विर्ज्ञेयः सप्तधातुकः। पृथक् त्रयस्त्रि भिश्चैको विसर्पो द्वन्द्जास्त्रयः ।
वातिकाः पैत्तिकश्चैव कफजः सन्निपातिकः। चत्वार एते वीसर्पा वक्ष्यन्ते द्वन्द्जास्त्रयः।
आग्नेयो वातपित्ताभ्यां ग्रन्थ्याख्यः कफवातजः। यस्तु कर्दमको घोरः स पित्तकफ सम्भवः। (च. चि. २१/१२-१४ )
Types of Visarpa
Visarpa has been categorised into the following groups by Ayurvedic experts:
- Vataja Visarpa
- Pittaja Visarpa
- Kaphaja Visarpa
The Type of Visarpa Caused by
- Vata-Pitta is called Agneya Visarpa
- Kapha-Vata is called Granthi Visarpa
- Kardamaka Visarpa is a name for Pitta-Kapha that denotes a serious condition.
रक्तं लसीका त्वड्.मांसं दूष्यं दोषास्त्रो मलाः। विसर्पाणां समुत्पत्तौ विज्ञेयाः सप्त धातवः।। (च. चि. २१/१५ )
Visarpa pathogenesis involves seven factors
The seven dhatus from which Visarpa arises are
- Rakta (blood)
- Lasika (Lymph)
- Tvak (Skin)
- Mamsa (Muscle tissue)
2. PITTAJA VISARPA
पित्तमुष्णोपचारेण विदाह्राम्लाशनैश्चितम्। दूष्यान् संदूष्य धमनीः पूरयन् वै विसर्पति।। (च. चि. २१/३१ )
Etiology (Nidana) and Pathogenesis (Samprapti) of Paittika visarpa:
Pitta builds up as a result of hot routines, vidahi (which produces burning), and sour food consumption. Pitta vitiates the Dushyas (tissue elements), fills up (obstructs) the Dhamanis (Channels of blood circulation), and spreads, which results in the Paittika type of Visarpa.
तस्य रूपाणि ———————————————– इति पित्तविसर्पः।। (च. चि. २१/३२ )
Paittika Visarpa Lakshana (Signs and symptoms)
- Jwara (Fever)
- Trushna (Morbid thirst)
- Murchha (Fainting)
- Moha (Unconsciousness)
- Chardi (Vomiting)
- Aruchi (Anorexia)
- Anga bheda (breaking pain in the body)
- Ati matra sweda (excessive sweating)
- Antar daha (There is a burning sensation inside the body)
- Pralapa (delirium)
- Shiro ruk (headache)
- turbidity of the eyes
- Arati (dislike for everything)
- Brahma (giddiness)
- Shita vata aavarita (strong need for cold air and water)
- Akshu’s (eyes), Mutra’s (urine), and Purish’s (stool) colouration are Harita and Haridra.
- Harita Haridra rupa darshana (visualisation of objects in green and yellow)
- Langhan: The body is purified by langhana therapy.
- Virechan: Virechana is one of the Panchakarma treatments that uses medication to induce purging to remove the body’s excessive Pitta Dosha.
- Raktamokshan: It involves removing contaminated blood from the body.
HERBAL REMEDIES FOR SHINGLES (HERPES ZOSTER) BY PLANET AYURVEDA
Planet Ayurveda manufactures Ayurvedic medications created exclusively from plants. This drug is completely free of additives, preservatives, and chemicals. All products are GMP-certified and 100 percent vegan. According to Planet Ayurveda, the following herbs can treat Herpes Zoster:
- MAHAMANJISTHAGHAN VATI
- PITTA BALANCE
- NEUROGENIE CAPSULE
- KAISHORE GUGGUL
- GLEAMING SKIN, HAIR, NAILS FORMULA
1. MAHAMANJISTHAGHAN VATI
It is a single herbal formulation that is made up of Mahamanjistha kwath (Rubia cordifolia). It is well-known as an immunomodulator and blood purifier. For treating skin conditions such as neurodermatosis, rheumatic illnesses, foot oedema, numbness, and abnormal lipid metabolism, it is highly advised. Mahamanjisthadi kwath kadha has anti-infective and blood-purifying properties. It offers assistance with the management of obesity, gout, skin numbness, and visual problems.
Dosage: 2 tablets, two times a day.
2. PITTA BALANCE
These are polyherbal capsules that are made up of Giloy satva (Tinospora cordifolia), Akik Pishti (Natural calcium compound), and many more. Pitta balance increases bone marrow density since it contains a lot of natural calcium. Leg cramps, muscle cramps, and restless leg syndrome are all alleviated by it. It relieves stress, palpitations, rapid heartbeat, and anxiety. It functions like a blood cleanse and aids in restoring healthy skin as well as clearing the complexion.
Dosage: 2 capsules, two times a day.
3. NEUROGENIE CAPSULES
These are polyherbal capsules that are made up of std. ext. of Brahmi (Bacopa monnieri), etc. Since the damaged nerve in shingles causes pain and burning, these capsules aid in naturally treating the aforementioned conditions. Agitation, physical aches, and excessive thirst are all reduced or eliminated.
Dosage: 2 capsules after meals, two times a day.
4. KAISHORE GUGGUL
These are polyherbal tablets that are made up of Guggul (Commiphora mukul), Ginger (Zingiber officinale), Vidanga (Embelia ribes), Bibhitaki (Terminalia bellirica), and many more. In the case of shingles or herpes zoster, Kaishore guggul aids in the removal of the body’s built-up toxins and alleviates the ailment by purifying the blood. It aids ulcer and wound healing and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Dosage: 2 tablets, two times a day.
5. GLEAMING SKIN, HAIR, NAILS FORMULA
These capsules are polyherbal and consist of Ghrit kumari (Aloe barbadensis), Pit Papda (Fumaria officinalis), etc. It supports keeping nails, hair, and skin in good condition. It promotes general health maintenance. It is a natural detoxifier and health tonic that helps all tissues lose excess heat and remove natural pollutants.
Dosage: 2 capsules after meals, two times a day.
Oral physicians should have an in-depth understanding of this problem, the treatment, and the avoidance of consequences. Herpes zoster infection causes a variety of complications in the affected area if left untreated. The suffering of the patient might be significantly decreased by early diagnosis and timely Treatment of Herpes Zoster. To prevent subsequent issues, long-term follow-up should be conducted.
Latest posts by Dr. Vikram Chauhan (see all)
- SARCOIDOSIS ALTERNATIVE AND NATURAL TREATMENT IN AYURVEDA - November 29, 2023
- ENLARGED PROSTATE GLAND OR PROSTATE ENLARGEMENT – ALTERNATIVE TREATMENT WITH NATURAL REMEDIES - November 24, 2023
- PARONYCHIA (NAIL INFECTION) – OVERVIEW, SYMPTOMS, CAUSES AND TREATMENT - November 24, 2023
- AYURVEDIC REMEDIES AND NATURAL TREATMENT FOR HEMOPHAGOCYTIC LYMPHOHISTIOCYTOSIS - November 23, 2023
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Tourette Syndrome - November 22, 2023